GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of changing from a 6 pin round to a 6 pin flat (CSC brand) and I'm hearing that I need to put an isolator in place. Before I buy one, I want to make sure I don't already have one. Can one of you more experienced tell me what I'm looking at here?

This is a vertical hitch. I don't know the brand.

Close up:

I'm thinking I might be able to tap into the existing wiring with the new 6 pin flat and leave the other one too. That way I could have a plug-in for either trailer (until I sell the spare). Is that a good idea or a bad one?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You seem to have an isolator in place already. The isolator is used to protect the bike's electrical equipment. The circuitry on the bike operating the left and right turn signal, running lights, and brake lights cannot handle the additional electrical load required by a trailer to operate the lights. In most cases, you'll have five wires going into the isolator and four coming out, plus a ground wire to the trailer. The fifth wire going into the isolator is a power wire. When you, let's say, hit the brakes, a relay in the isolator trips allowing power to flow to the trailer.

The sixth wire going to the trailer is usually an "always hot" circuit to power ancillary lights like inside the trailer compartment, or whatever additional powered items you may have.

Yes, you may splice the new connector onto the existing circuit and leave on the old one. I strongly recommend that you solder the wires at the splice. Any mechanical connection like wire nuts will fail in the extreme conditions of water, wind, and dirt.

·
Registered
878 Posts
What about just making a plug in adapter to go from 6 round to 6 flat...
Get one of CSC's plugs and one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200303945_200303945
Then just wire it up end to end... Now you could tow a trailer with either a CSC or a 6 pin round connector...
The folks in my Chapter all use the 6 round pin type... This way if anyone should have a break down, then anyone else on the ride can at least tow their trailer back for em...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts