GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the go ahead to get a trailer, but have to get the hitch first. I've looked at Kury, Show Chrome, Bushtech, and AddOn. AddOn is out. I've heard a lot of good things about Bushtech, but the way it mounts looks like it would flop around. I could be wrong. Kury and Show Chrome look to have a solid mounting system, and either would be ok. I've looked at Rivco also, but I won't cut holes in my bike to accommodate one, so it's out as well. So what's your opinions on the 3 front runners?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I have the Bushtec on my 2010 with 118,000 miles on it and it doesn't flop at all. I've pulled a Bushtec TurboII and a Leesure Lite camper with it and no problems so far and it's been on the bike since I bought the bike new. YMMV

·
Registered
907 Posts
With your remaining choices you can’t go wrong with Bushtec or Dauntless. Both are main frame mounted and don’t rely on subframe/saddlebag mounts for support. B.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have a Bushtec on my 2013, it is solid as can be, with the vertical receiver system no holes required and when the stinger portion is removed it cannot be seen. I had Bustec install it for me when they were in town for a rally, so I cannot comment on how hard it is to install.

Check my add on the Inventors Hobby Shop, https://gl1800riders.com/forums/201-inventors-hobby-shop/431273-c31-breakout-harness.html, see post 4 for the trailer harness set up, I can custom build what ever you need to interface to your trailer. Also see this post for how I managed the wiring to hide it when not in use, https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4380665-post44.html.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff. Steve, I'll keep you in mind when the time comes. What amazes me is there is no standardized wiring system for these trailers. It's like everyone just throws whatever they want in there and send it down the road. On the other hand, the MC manufacturers don't want trailers on there anyway, so there's no incentive for the two industries to standardize a system that works for both.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Version 2 Bushtec for me. Had it on my '01 and installed it on my '04 when I bought the '04 and have pulled my Kwik Kamp with no problems. Bushtec is rock solid and theirs no way it can flop around.
If you can read and comprehend instructions it's an easy install. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Good stuff. Steve, I'll keep you in mind when the time comes. What amazes me is there is no standardized wiring system for these trailers. It's like everyone just throws whatever they want in there and send it down the road. On the other hand, the MC manufacturers don't want trailers on there anyway, so there's no incentive for the two industries to standardize a system that works for both.
How well I know, just found out this week that Bunkhouse uses a special 6 way square that is opposite from the industry standard I can buy from folks like E-Trailer or Amazon, had to ask the customer if they were willing to remove the 6 way and replace with a 5 way flat, he was in a rush to get the job done because he is leaving in 6 days on a trip with the trailer, so I am suppling a standard set up and he is redoing his trailer connector. Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki all use the same 6 pin Hitatchi connector to go from the main harness to the fender harness, all use different pinouts and wire colors, Suzuki is the worst they change the pinout from year to year and model to model, I always have to get the customer to verify the connector and pinouts for me.

So I should have looked at your profile before pointing you to my add, my break out harness only works on 2006 to 2017 Wings, looks like you have a 2003. I do not have a wiring diagram for that year, so I do not have a break out that fits your bike.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yes it does , but I need a bit more info to make a break out jumper, I need to see what other circuits go through that 14 pin connector and what location each circuit is in. The 2006 to 2017 also go through a 14 pin connector (C31) and that is what I tap into, but I was told by Rob (Techdude) that the 2001 to 2005 were wired different than the 2006 to 2017. Maybe if he sees this he can chime in and help out.

Thanks I have the pages saved for reference.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yes it does , but I need a bit more info to make a break out jumper, I need to see what other circuits go through that 14 pin connector and what location each circuit is in. The 2006 to 2017 also go through a 14 pin connector (C31) and that is what I tap into, but I was told by Rob (Techdude) that the 2001 to 2005 were wired different than the 2006 to 2017. Maybe if he sees this he can chime in and help out.

I hope Techdude has what you need, that’s all I got.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I run a RIVCO simply because it bolts to the frame of the bike, as opposed to the sub frame.

I did not cut a hole in my bike. I bought a used rear fender (eBay / Trike Take-off) and I cut a hole in that. When I use the hitch I put the rear fender with the hole in it on the bike. Otherwise the original fender is on the bike. We're talking four screws for the fender and two small bolts for the license plate. Then a connector for the license plate light to switch back and forth. This is a 10 minute task if I take my time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

86B51FD1-6621-4DC1-975F-C88BB2316259.jpg

Ha!!! Here are the other circuits in that 14 pin white.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
View attachment 333989

Ha!!! Here are the other circuits in that 14 pin white.
OK, now all I need is a picture of the connector so I can identify it and figure out what wires go where, we are making progress.

Update:
I checked your diagrams against the one for my 2013 and the colors vs function are the same, so that is even more encouraging hat the connector for the 2001 to 2005 GLs would be the same and maybe pinned the same, do need to confirm that if any one can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
2013 Wiring Diagram (see attached) They're identical, just different formats.
Yes that is what I found also, the key info missing right now is what does the connector look like and where are the various wires located in the connector, I am hoping they are the same as my 2013, that would make my life a lit simpler. Until someone can provide me with a set of photos or I can find someone locally with a 2001 to 2005 GL that I can dig into I am stuck with only providing a solution for 2006 to 20017 GLs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
MountainRider, I have the Bushtec hitch with the Bushtec relay isolator package.

Have had zero problems with either. Installed myself with no issues.

The hitch or wiring connector is not visible when the ball mount is not installed. Slide the ball mount in and insert pin, there is a bolt in the receiver that you tighten against ball mount that takes out any slop in the slip fit design of the ball mount sliding up into the receiver. Very solid and zero rattling. I have the connector zip tied up just above the bottom of the rear fender.

Their isolator package is a plug-n-play, easy peasy no wire cutting or splicing system. They use a Delphi Weatherpack 6 way connector for the trailer connector. You can purchase these Delphi Weatherpack connectors from Amazon and many other online vendors to replace the connector on what ever trailer you purchase. You can purchase connectors with pigtails or purchase the individual components and tools (crimper and pin extraction tool) for a cleaner install with no splices.

The connectors are designed with water seals around each conductor entering connector as well as a water seal between the male/female connector. This helps keep the connector contacts clean, dry and corrosion free. The connector on the bike will have a dummy plug that plugs into the connector when not in use to keep the connector clean and dry.
Bushtec also has a mudflap that can be installed on the hitch to help protect what your pulling.

I have no experience with the other hitches you are considering, but very satisfied with the Bushtec product.

Hope this helps

Reactions: CAWing

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think we're going to go with the Bushtech. I found a place that sells them for under $400, around $367, so I'll order one up when we get home from our trip, unless I find someone whose letting theirs go for a better price. ;)

Steve, I should be home Friday or Saturday, so I'll get your pictures and a color map of the wiring from those connectors.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is this what you're looking for?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts