GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an Escapade Classic from open Road outfitters and had a Hitch installed as part of the package. They installed a Hitch Doc Hitch.

I am unable to locate a standard receiver pin Lock for the Hitch Doc. The size of the pin provided with the trailer is not standard; larger than the small standard pin and smaller than the larger standard pin. :wrong:

This create a problem: while I am able to secure the trailer to the Hitch, I am unable to secure the hitch to the motorcycle.

Any solution??

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Factory can't help...damn. :wrong: Other choices keep searching stores that sell that hitch, maybe they'll one or have someone grind down the larger standard pin to fit or redrill the hitch to be able to use the larger pin.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If the pin is smaller than the holes, you could have a "sleeve" made to slide the smaller pin into and then insert it in the hitch. If the pin is larger than the holes. I would drill them out to match the pin.

I am very surprised that the factory did not offer up a pin!:wrong:
Looks like a lack of customer support from them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Drilling a larger whole seems to be the only solution. The whole/pin is not standard and will not accept existing sizes available on the market even at places which carry large inventory of trailer related material.

Yes, I talked to the factory; it is my problem not theirs.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Have you called openRoad outfitters. I am assuming from your post that you bought the trailer from them and they installed the hitch.

If I am correct this is the dealer up in Sterling? Have you talked with the owner? I know the owner and can not believe that he will not work with you to find a solution especially if he sold you the hitch and trailer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harvey,

The owner was very good and gave me a good deal on the trailer package. However, he does not have a solution to the problem. I am also in VA, (Virginia Beach). We purchased 3 trailers from him (me and two other members of my club); we have to go back soon to pick up another trailer. I wish he was able to help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have you tried any of the Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply type stores. They usually carry a large assortments of pins, keepers, etc.

·
Registered
609 Posts
May I ask what happened to the original? :popcorn:

I can not believe the dealer can not help you out. :x Someone has to make them and then supply them to these dealers. :wrong:

It looks like drilling time. :shrug: That way, you will be able to find a pin anywhere you go the next time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The original is on the bike; tt only has a cotter pin, no lock. I am looking for a replacement I can secure (lock and key). I look at several hitches after the fact; they all come with a standard type pin for which a locking mechanism is available.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Is there a hole in the pin or ground out in the middle ? If it is a hole, just drill larger to fit a lock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roger....I will have to drill out the hole to fit the larger pin. Must take it to machine shop to be done right.
Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All,

I sent another email to both Open Roads and Hitch Doc to see if they will provide a solution. I spent last weekend away from home with the rig. I kept looking at the window throughout the night to ensure the bike was safe.

Possibly I missed the boat, but one should expect a standardized solution to common problems when you are paying "standard" prices for goods and services. :eek:4:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Back when I worried about things more than I do now I drilled a hole in the pin(where the locking cotter key goes) large enough to accomdate a very small padlock. Worked great and you can drill it at home.

JMHO: I don't worry about someone stealing my trailer or bike anymore. If a thief wants it they will have it. that's what I carry insurance for. To me it takes the joy out of traveling to be overly concerned about these things. Heck my camper only weighs 265 lbs. two guys could throw it in the back of a pickup faster than you can scratch your nose, while you are out seeing the sights.

I do have the Hitch-Doc which was installed by Open Road Outfitters, and I could not be more pleased with the hitch, the camper and the service(Great people to do business with).

Fred

07 Blue Wing/Mini-Mate camper

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fred,

I fully agree with you about Open Road.....great folks there.

I have no complaints about the Hitch; I do believe Hitch Doc makes a great product. However, attention to details goes a long way; standardized solution to common approaches will always achieve the required results.

Your suggestion does make sense; I will investigate to ensure the pin is in fact large enough to accommodate a larger hole.

·
Registered
748 Posts
hitch

So what size are we talking about here? If the Hitch Doc is not standard size, what size is their pin? Thanks, TIM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts