GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Harbor Freight with my 25% off coupon, got a 1 7/8" hitch coupling ($9.99 minus the 25%) for seven and a half bucks. After about 2 1/2 hours of fabricating (including some sitting and thinking) I had my flag mount working. Used some metal parts I had just laying around from an earlier (aborted) project. Locks right on to the hitch ball and mount. Still needs some finish work for appearance, but all the basic metalwork is done. Toured the neighborhood with Bike MP3 playing John Philip Sousa marches cranked up to 30 on the audio. Got waves and thumbs up.

That's what some of us old folks do, instead of fighting the traffic and crowds to go out and about to have a good time on the 4th.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
How about some close up pictures and details...I need something like this on mine also...:flg:...Thanks and Happy 4th...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some new pics

More finish work. Used some stamped metal angle plate with series of pierced holes. This material must have a name, but I don't know what it is. Cut some of it away to make it fit and function. Used one small piece to make a strap that goes under the ball tongue with a pair of bolts to clamp the hitch down and keep it straight. Had to drill a couple new holes on the sides of the hitch to align with the holes in the metal aangle plate to allow bolting the pieces together.

Drilled some mounting holes for the actual flag mount, used small bolts & nuts to attach it. The hitch first clamps on just like a normal trailer hitch, then I add the strap/clamp between the ball and the fender. I have been up to about 40MPH with it, the limiting feature being the wooden flag staff and the small thumb screw holding it.

Well, it'll only let me upload two pics, these will have to do for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Very Creative...Thank You...:thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts