GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a disscussion on CSC hitch not being too strong. I thought it was a 1 1/4" reciever type but now think it's a slot that flat bar slides into. I'm not worried about our Breeze cargo trailer as that just has a small cooler on it, but our bunkhouse has a larger cooler on the tongue. One factor going into the trike was not being as concerned about tongue weight. I'm carefull about weight distribution in cargo area of the trailer, but even with small amount of ice, few sodas, few waters, I have been around 45-50 # tongue weight. I was planning on with the trike I could exceed that some. I use a digital luggage scale to measure it. The disscussion I saw was a guy had a rack on the hitch with 30# plus and said the bar really sagged. He was talking about beefing it up, but I would guess CSC might void warranty if you modify anything. CSC owners, what do you think is the most tongue weight you have had and no problems?

·
Registered
428 Posts
This might help. Is a thread on page 2 about this. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294107

I checked with some of the manufactures and this is what they recommend:
Manufa’s Tongue/Tow weight
Champion –
CSC – 50/400
DFT – 35/500
Hannigan – 55/550
Lehman – 30/200
Motor Trike – 100/1000
Trikes by Triking –0/0 Won’t certify any more than Honda does for 2 wheel wing.

I checked this about 2 years back and they may have changed since then. I try to keep mine around the 40lbs.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Both CSC's sitting in my shop have the inch and a quarter square reciever hitch's. One is a '04 and the other a '99. I can assure you they BOTH have been overloaded several times with no problems. And no I do not have a motorcycle shop, just let buddies park in my shop! Charley

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Hi, I got your PM.
I don't think you have to worry about tongue weight.
I have the same trailer and camper that you have and my Champion hitch works fine.
Load your heavy stuff over the axle and I carry my soda, snacks in the trailer until we get to where we are going.
Just put a few bottles with ice in the cooler to save tongue weight.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I posted this earlier....no changes....!!! This includes the trike since Feb. '05....!!!

We ride an '05 Wing/CSC and have pulled our '02 Escapade more than seventy-five thousand miles (since '02). I like 12-15% tongue weight. 10% is a little too light. The Escapade behaves "very well" with this set up.....!!!

Dean does all the trailer packing, but I have used a bathroom scale under each wheel after the packing is done (with a level tongue). The overall trailer weight generally comes to right at four hundred pounds for a fourteen day ride.

That's including "some" winter gear (you never know about upper elevations).

I have seen my tongue weight right at 65 pounds on "many" occasion for the trike. This weight includes lot's of stuff in the ice chest.

We hope this helps in some small way.....!!!

:doorag: :doorag: :doorag:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Both CSC's sitting in my shop have the inch and a quarter square reciever hitch's. One is a '04 and the other a '99. I can assure you they BOTH have been overloaded several times with no problems. And no I do not have a motorcycle shop, just let buddies park in my shop! Charley

My 09 came with a flat type bar as did a fiends 08. Either CSC changed the hitch or some one made their own. I would have preferred the 1 1/4" receiver and have though about making one but the hitch is working so probably won't. Even made a carry all for it and have carried at least 50# w/o issue. The design does have some up and down movement but guess that is ok.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I use the stock CSC hitch on my 08. Have pulled a Bunkhouse, loaded with as much stuff as would allow me to still get the top down, 36 qt cooler with as much ice and 18 sodas as could be stuffed into it for the past 3 years over 20,000 miles. Pulls great, rides the hwy like a dream, no side movement of trailer. Braking now is another issue but never a problem with the hitch.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If anyone need a flat bar type of tongue for the CSC - I have one for sale !

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do me a favor and send this photo (or post it) to Parrothead.

Don Grossman had a CSC with standard hitch and pulled this trailer to Alaska and back with no problems. And if you remember he and his wife were both rather large. That’s them in the photo in red T-shirts.

Don

Ken L.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have read about the tongue bending. After much research and talking to a lot of folks that have used this hitch design, trail of tears ride-they were several on the ride.
What I found out was those with problems seem to be using a large rack that is mounted to the tongue. They were having more than 50 lbs.

I am not concerned any more
dd

·
Registered
370 Posts
I found a disscussion on CSC hitch not being too strong. I thought it was a 1 1/4" reciever type but now think it's a slot that flat bar slides into. I'm not worried about our Breeze cargo trailer as that just has a small cooler on it, but our bunkhouse has a larger cooler on the tongue. One factor going into the trike was not being as concerned about tongue weight. I'm carefull about weight distribution in cargo area of the trailer, but even with small amount of ice, few sodas, few waters, I have been around 45-50 # tongue weight. I was planning on with the trike I could exceed that some. I use a digital luggage scale to measure it. The disscussion I saw was a guy had a rack on the hitch with 30# plus and said the bar really sagged. He was talking about beefing it up, but I would guess CSC might void warranty if you modify anything. CSC owners, what do you think is the most tongue weight you have had and no problems?

Ok Parrothead, I was not comfortable with the flat style hitch that CSC uses, so I made a few modifications, here’s what I did: I bought the 2” to 1 ¼ “ adaptor, held it up to the u-shaped CSC hitch plate under the bike. Marked where I had to cut the slots, so I could slide the adaptor back as far as I wanted the receiver to show looking from the rear.
This also gave more added support for the adaptor. I then cut the slots to my preferred depth, rechecked to make sure it would slide into the u-shaped section of the hitch. I then welded a ¼” x 1” piece of flat stock on each side of the adaptor, (do not cover the slot you cut) this was to take up the space on either side of where the hitch pin would go through. These made sure the adaptor would be centered on the CSC hitch plate and help levitate any side to side slop. I then marked where to drill the hole through the adaptor. After I made sure all was going to fit and work, I sent the adaptor out and had it powder coated black. To insure I did not have any slop I bolted and double lock nutted the adaptor to the CSC hitch plate. I have not had any issues and have towed our Bunkhouse several thousand miles. Another reason I did this was because I also had my saddle bags converted to a wheeless trailer ( that’s what they call them). This made for a much stiffer setup as the flat bar had way too much bounce in for me. This in no way will damage
the CSC hitch plate and if you decide to sell your ride you can remove it and replace the flatbar.. Well that what I did, hope it helps anyone out there looking for a way to get rid of the bounce that the flatbar creates..

Joe W.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Ok Parrothead, I was not comfortable with the flat style hitch that CSC uses, so I made a few modifications, here’s what I did: I bought the 2” to 1 ¼ “ adaptor, held it up to the u-shaped CSC hitch plate under the bike. Marked where I had to cut the slots, so I could slide the adaptor back as far as I wanted the receiver to show looking from the rear.
This also gave more added support for the adaptor. I then cut the slots to my preferred depth, rechecked to make sure it would slide into the u-shaped section of the hitch. I then welded a ¼” x 1” piece of flat stock on each side of the adaptor, (do not cover the slot you cut) this was to take up the space on either side of where the hitch pin would go through. These made sure the adaptor would be centered on the CSC hitch plate and help levitate any side to side slop. I then marked where to drill the hole through the adaptor. After I made sure all was going to fit and work, I sent the adaptor out and had it powder coated black. To insure I did not have any slop I bolted and double lock nutted the adaptor to the CSC hitch plate. I have not had any issues and have towed our Bunkhouse several thousand miles. Another reason I did this was because I also had my saddle bags converted to a wheeless trailer ( that’s what they call them). This made for a much stiffer setup as the flat bar had way too much bounce in for me. This in no way will damage
the CSC hitch plate and if you decide to sell your ride you can remove it and replace the flatbar.. Well that what I did, hope it helps anyone out there looking for a way to get rid of the bounce that the flatbar creates..

Joe W.
Hi Joe,

Can u post pictures of your revision?

Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Joe,

Can u post pictures of your revision?

Thanks
Yes, I can post some pictures, hopefully sometime tomorrow, keep eye on this thread.

Joe W.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
"I don't think you have to worry about tongue weight." I think I know what you meant but some might misinterpret the preceding. Tongue loading is an important safety consideration with any motor vehicle/trailer combination.

Hi, I got your PM.
I don't think you have to worry about tongue weight.
I have the same trailer and camper that you have and my Champion hitch works fine.
Load your heavy stuff over the axle and I carry my soda, snacks in the trailer until we get to where we are going.
Just put a few bottles with ice in the cooler to save tongue weight.

·
Registered
370 Posts
"I don't think you have to worry about tongue weight." I think I know what you meant but some might misinterpret the preceding. Tongue loading is an important safety consideration with any motor vehicle/trailer combination.

Here are pictures of what the adaptor looks like. The third picture is of the original CSC setup. The adaptor does not damage this setup. If you want to sell your Trike with the
original setup all you have to do is unbolt the adaptor and replace it with the original
flatbar. I did forget to mention in my first post that I also welded a piece of flat stock
on the back of the adaptor for a little added strength, also I used the 5/16 bolt and nut as CSC used on the flatbar to take up the slack at the back of the bar. This is about
all the info I can give you. It is not very hard to do and is not very expensive. All you
need is an adaptor, a ½ x 3” bolt, flat washers and a couple of nuts. I also used a little
blue lock tight for safety purposes.

Good Luck,
Joe W.
View attachment 32674

View attachment 32675

View attachment 32676

View attachment 32677

View attachment 32678

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here are pictures of what the adaptor looks like. The third picture is of the original CSC setup. The adaptor does not damage this setup. If you want to sell your Trike with the
original setup all you have to do is unbolt the adaptor and replace it with the original
flatbar. I did forget to mention in my first post that I also welded a piece of flat stock
on the back of the adaptor for a little added strength, also I used the 5/16 bolt and nut as CSC used on the flatbar to take up the slack at the back of the bar. This is about
all the info I can give you. It is not very hard to do and is not very expensive. All you
need is an adaptor, a ½ x 3” bolt, flat washers and a couple of nuts. I also used a little
blue lock tight for safety purposes.

Good Luck,
Joe W.
View attachment 32674

View attachment 32675

View attachment 32676

View attachment 32677

View attachment 32678
A couple more pictures.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts