GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pondering the idea of adding a Rivco or Bustec Hitch with the idea of using a hitch rack to carry an additional t-bag for my trip to Yellowstone this summer for some added storage. I don't have the cash for a trailer right now and I don't believe I need a whole lot more room, just a little, say up to 30lbs if needed. The rack seems a cheaper ( that'll get me right there) way to go. Would this survive a 2-3k trip?

A couple of other things though come to mind right away.
1 - Exhaust is pointing right at the rack: Would this tend to fumagate the t-bag?

2 - Rain: Could soak the heck out of it, but I could wrap it in plastic.

3 - Handling: Typical stress from bumps etc with the rack hanging off the tongue.

If someone made a nice hitch 'trunk' that matched, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. (Gave away my get rich quick scheme)

Is this a bad/good idea, tips for making it work?

Thanks all

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Try Bushtec. I have one of their hitches and when not pulling the
trailer, I always have on their cooler package. Quality and
workmanship very good.

And it travels easy. Has over 15k miles so far - no problems. The
trailer only has about 6k miles, and bike has about 35k.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't think using your T-bag as your storage would be ideal. Lots of crap collects back there, especially in the rain. I would suggest a storage bin (with a secure/locking lid of course... I know there is one out there that is black with a grey lid that is very sturdy and the handles lock).

I just bought the smaller of the two Hal sells. Haven't seen it, as it was delivered after I deployed. I just wanted something small to haul a cooler around, or my small tent and sleeping back when I wanted to travel light and not bring my trailer.

Hopefully Jon will jump on and show you his pics of his little "R2-D2" unit. Not sure who makes them, but they are kind of cool. Not sure what the price was, but it is a trick little trunk. He used it to run to Sturgis and back and from what I remember he thought it worked pretty good.

Have you looked at used trailers? I bought my used homemade trailer for $500. Tows like it isn't even back there. The 1800 has more than enough power to drag it around with no noticable decrease in performance. Not a very expensive solution...

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Used Trailers

Funny, Mike, but I got a used trailer also. Got it for $400,
took it to a buddy of mine that painted it maroon to come
close to the IR, hung some lights on it, and have drog it
several thousand miles. About the same size as yours, but
I just changed the wheels and tires to 12" (were 8" and a
6 ply rating) just for looks. This weekend after the XM goes
in, I'm putting an alunimum rail around the top (like the
boat rails), again just for looks. Pulls so easy you need a
flag on it to remind you it is there. My Bushtec left with
the other bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Trailer Rack

Call John Long (816) 324-4822, He has excellent racks much cheaper than the others. Also has a good trailer hitch to carry it.

Proctor Willson
Paris, TN

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Mark,
There's another option out there called the "Pakit Rak". I have it and it works great. It's similar to a hitch and rack, but designed just for luggage, not trailers. If you buy the whole outfit, it comes with a rigid sided bag made by Nelson-Rigg (the entire unit was designed around this bag). I have a soft copy brochure if you'd like to look at it. Just send your email address to [email protected] and I'll send it to ya.
It's worth a look.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: Used Trailers

IR Harry said:
Pulls so easy you need a
flag on it to remind you it is there.
How true!
I plan on installing some running lights on mine that will be visible in the read view mirrors at night, just to remind me the dang thing is there... lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
You will get a lot of very conservative advice about rear racks. Here is one that I use when I don't pull a trailer. I admit it is a little too big but I have used it in heavy crosswinds and rain, two-up, with noticeable ill affects. If I were to make another one I would go a little smaller but not a lot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hitch Rack

I have a Bushtec hitch and had a local shop make a rack. I have turndowns and had the shop build the rack with a bit of a rise because I was concerned with exhaust. I just use a medium sized duffal bag and it has worked very well. It doesnt block lights or tag and adds that bit of extra storage. It has been used for about 5000 or 6000 miles without issues. I have been in rain but not RAIN so that test is incomplete. Your idea has worked well for us.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
R2D2 reporting, as requested!

MnX,

I bought the modular caddy system from Chef @ Chrisco for my "extra storage needs".

I was concerned with the possible added weight affecting the center of gravity and handling, so I decided against a large carrier. This unit can hold two full-face helmets - about 2 cu. ft. of storage. The way the modular carrier is built, it can be opened while still attached to the bracket, so it's very useful.

I got the lighted version to help with visibility, but it's pretty well reflected on its' own. I like the way it unlocks and easily pops off the adapter to carry it into the hotel room at night. Also, it doesn't block the view of the taillights. With my turndowns, I never experienced any excessive dirt or soot after about 4,500 miles with it this summer.

Someday, if I ever get any "free time" :wink: I can throw on the golf club caddy and try that "sport" again... (I'm assuming they've pulled my pictures down from the pro shops by now :D )

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW!

Thanks everyone, so many options!

I like the Cargo Caddy option, Bushtec looks like it would work too.

Nice trailer IB_Mike, I haven't been able to find any 'good cheap' trailers, I'm obviously looking in the wrong places. Any recommendations where to look?

If I were to build my own, is there any information on tips etc for building a homemade trailer? I am mechanically inclined (motivation is random). In other words, get the basic frame from Northern Hydraulics, blah blah blah.

Thanks again, this site is priceless!

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you want extra space and don't need a trailer. Here is a Pakit-Rak with a nice Nelson Rigg bag. I've had one for several months and really like it. If you already have a hitch you can get an adapter and save cost of the Receiver bracket.
Get the Rain cover, it keeps the bag clean

Click on link for a larger picture
http://snipurl.com/4alb

Click on link for a larger picture
http://snipurl.com/4ala

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
a little while ago, someone used a harbor freight trailer and a sears clam shell car carrier.

that came out at about the $ 350 mark new.

looked like a decent solution to the several thousand dollar option trailer

loren

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mark

Something you might want to check on.

I purchased a cooler at Wally World and took it to my local welding shop and they made me a rack for $25.00. The "Boss" then mad a cover that we use Velco around the edge of the rack and cover to hold on.

Looks like many manufactured ones at a lot less cost. You can control the size by the size cooler you purchase.

Ron

·
Registered
676 Posts
The sight of hitch mount luggage rack plus duffel bag on trunk rack while riding double really makes me cringe. You all must be at least 100 pounds or more over loaded.
Get a trailer and lighten load on the bike or leave something home. I believe Honda publishes load limits because they believe we will be better off not overloaded. I know Honda does not approve trailor towing but its got to be way better than significantly overloading bike.

·
Registered
615 Posts
LeRoy, if I have the Bushtec hitch , do I only need the adapter and then the bag? Thanks for any info. Also would a computer fit in it? Joy

·
Registered
824 Posts
yellowwing1 said:
LeRoy, if I have the Bushtec hitch , do I only need the adapter and then the bag? Thanks for any info. Also would a computer fit in it? Joy
Joy,

If you already have the Bushtec hitch, call Andrew or John and order their rack with cooler. Quite often when I'm traveling, I use it for additional luggage instead of keeping drinks cold. Everything will stay dry.

As for the computer, I'm leery about putting it in anything hanging off the back of the bike except the trailer. When I don't take the trailer with me, I carry it in the trunk and insure that I have plenty of padding around it.

This is the set up that I plan on using in June when I do the 48 in 10 IBA ride if I decide not to tow the trailer.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
JW,
That is absolutely not true. An empty trailer is hanging about 15-20 lbs on the tongue. Properly loaded, it probably is pushing 40 lbs. My loaded Bushtec cooler rack is less of a load than that!

Yes, you are right, Honda publishes load limits, and many times people are exceeding them, but then again, pulling a trailer is also warned against, so what's the difference? In both cases you are ignoring Honda's recomendations.

Larry

·
Registered
41 Posts
1 - Exhaust is pointing right at the rack: Would this tend to fumagate the t-bag?
Yes, I saw a cooler melted on the back of a Goldwing without the exhaust turndowns installed

2 - Rain: Could soak the heck out of it, but I could wrap it in plastic.
Yes but, most plastics will give in to the elements in time.
I have found that garbage disposal bags do better than most others.
Using a cooler is an option, but most coolers will allow water to run in around the lid, unless you find a way to prevent this.

3 - Handling: Typical stress from bumps etc with the rack hanging off the tongue.
I used a hitch mounted rack for a trip to Nova Scotia last year without any problems.

·
Registered
824 Posts
DRBob,

I've got the turn downs more for looks than to protect the Cooler Caddy.

With the Cooler Caddy and the cover with the Zippered Lid, I have never experienced any rain getting into the cooler. When on shorter trips without Adrian, I carry my clothing in the cooler - NEVER a problem. This allows me to keep all the other stuff on the bike as I always carry it, plus the computer and more.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts