GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i goofed up i think, i changed my hiway lights from 35 to 55 watt bulbs.they worked a week or two then nothing.did i screw up by changing them? where do i start to find the problem. harness,relay, switch?all the above?i know there are some pretty smart people on this sight so all advice would be appreciated.:shrug::bow::22yikes:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
If you are talking about the cowl lights, then going from 35 to 55 watts probably burned out the switch and or wiring. The 35w lights have lighter weight (thinner) wire because they don't pull as much amperage. Going up in wattage on the lights will overload that system. Electrical Connections have a plug and play replacement wiring harness that will handle 55w.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Electrical Connections have a plug and play replacement wiring harness that will handle 55w.
Someone else recently on this forum went that route, using the Electrical Connection upgrade harness for the fog (cowl) lights to run 55W bulbs instead of 35W bulbs in the light housings.

While the wiring will now handle the additional current, the light housings may not be able to handle the heat released by the higher wattage bulbs. He had damage to his light housings.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291662

As others have said, you may have burned out the wiring or the switch. If the wiring is damaged consider yourself lucky that you didn't burn up the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts