GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For everybody that has a AC-3 or is comtemplating buying one here is a suggestion. I use the shield in the up position most of the time except rain and Freeway riding. I went to Walmart (most auto part stores) and bought a piece of windshield sun block ($3.50). It comes in different degrees of darkness. I cut a piece to fit the lower part of the shield so in the up position it works great as a sun visor. Helps protect the shield from scratchs and is easily removed. When down you look thru the clear part. Goes on with a little soap and water. No need to switch between the visor or shield.
Randy F
Concord, NC
'02 Silver GW

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sun Block

Randy .. Is the material you are talking about just called Windshield Sunblock or is it a tinting material? I am interested in getting it so what is the name of the Material I am to ask for? BJ

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BJ, not sure what it's called. I found it at Walmart in the automotive section. It came in a roll and it's purpose is to go along the top part of the front windshield of a car. I also saw it in side window sheets, the kind that people use to block the sun for people in the back seats of cars. When appying cut a piece a little bigger then the lower part of the shield. Draw a line around your shield onto the material and cut with a razor blade. You may have to remeasure and cut it several times. Use a drop of soap to your water this will help to move it around. If you have a dark colored bike you can use the leftovers to make gas tank, saddlebag guards. Stuff works great.
Randy F

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BJ, went to Walmart and looked at the brand. It's made by Axius and it's called Windshield Tint Strip. They also make it for the side windows of a vehicle in limo dark. I bought the strip because it was $2.75 vs $9.00 Oh by the way this could be used on any shield and is easily removed. I saw a similar product at a rally for $10. it was a little 1" strip.
Randy F

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sun Block

Thanks Randy.......... Will get it now.. I already got the tank protectors.. Haven't put them on yet .. Thanks again for the info.
BJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got it BAD

Hey Neal you do have it bad! I got a good chuckle out of your photo..
Made my day..
BJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got it BAD

Hey Neal you do have it bad! I got a good chuckle out of your photo..
Made my day..
BJ

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks for the reminder of a good ideal. For years I have used a low tech method, just a piece of electrical tape over the bottom edge of the shield. This works, but your method certainly looks better.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I'll have to look at this stuff. I bought some tinted film cut for helmet shields and the optical quality sucked.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
I have been doing about the same as Randy for about a year now and it has worked pretty well. Try it,you can experiment with several different sizes and locations without even useing up the $3 supply of film. Honda spray cleaner polish has worked great for attaching the film. I like it but am still planning to try one of those new plastic sunvisors that attach to the face shield that some other riders have mentioned here recently. Sunshine is great but it sure can cause serious vision problems at times.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the plastic sun visor installed on an AC3 and it works great. However when the shield is in the up position the sunblock film would be very helpful. Especially in the summer!
:blw1:

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
Black wing
I ride with the faceshield up about 90% of the time, do you think this would cause any problems with the visor? Like buffeting, wind noise or the visor comming loose. I have looked at the website but they didn't seem to discuss this to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cycledude, don't have the visor but the Shield with the sunblock works fine. Don't want the visor. Don't want to switch anything out or have something else to carry. On the stock windshield I get some buffeting from the shield in the up position I'm sure the visor will do the same thing. Happens above 60mph. At that speed I generally like riding with the shield down to help protect my face from the stray pebble or bug.
Randy F
Concord, NC

·
Registered
652 Posts
What timing you have.
It is time to get rid of the electric tape and tonight I was going to stop at an Auto supply store to see what I could find.
Running late I postponed the stop.
Thanks for the info.
Off to WallyMart tomorrow.
TR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts