GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried on an HJC CL-Max flip face helmet today in an XXXL size and it was really tight at my forehead. I literally pressed on the sides of the helmet and that took the pressure off the forehead area without being tight on the sides so I'm guessing it's just the shape that's wrong for me. It seems like the helmet may be a bit more round than my melon (which must be a bit oblong). Ironically, I also tried on an HJC XXXL open face helmet which was almost too big on me.

Given what I've told you all, does anyone know of a flip face helmet that might work for me? Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Try a haircut! :wink:

On a serious note, I've also noticed that most flip helmets are that way. I have a friend with the same problem. He could not resolve it....
We are going to try a dremel tool on him this weekend... :shock: :roll:

Please, let me know if you find a solution!
Sorry I could not be of any help!

·
Registered
552 Posts
A few others have reported the same problem.... :a13:

I actually had the same problem with their SyMax flip which I found to be a quieter helmet in regards to wind noise, but the latch broke that releases the flip. Yes I was wearing it at the time it broke. Getting it off is another story. I replaced it with the CL Max and this one fits alot better but has more wind noise.

·
Registered
694 Posts
SHOEI Syncrotec (sp) I have had one for 4 years and will get another soon. I have a large melon and it was the only one that fit well. Not much info to go on, so find a store and try it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
take a Dremal tool to the foam at the forhead area. It will smooth down and remove the ridge that put pressure on forehead. Much nicer fit and comfort over hours of wearing

·
Registered
679 Posts
Have a HJC CL flip in 3xl on order..they are having difficulty finding one..will let you know how it fits. I have a HJC 3/4 3xl that I had to take a ballpeen to inside to reduce the pain in the forehead and rear areas. Needs replacement.

I have a Fulmer flip 3xl that reminds me of the birth process everytime I try to close it.

I have a Bell King Head full face 3xl that is the cheesiest helmet I have ever worn. Don't trust it.

I have yet to find a 3xl helmet that I consider to actually fit. In the '60s and '70s I had no problem finding helmets that fit, and I know for a fact my head hasn't grown, since I wore the same size whitehat (8 1/8) throught my Navy career..1968 -> 1990. Hadda special order them, too.

Ride long and safe..and guess the helmet guys are shrinking things.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, my local Honda store got a 3XL CL-Max in for me in under a week in black so I don't know why it's a problem there unless it's a color thing. They've got a 3XL Fulmer coming for me to try now.

Have you tried the Zeus ZS-508? It's a flip face that comes in 3XL and is under $100. I haven't found one locally that I could try on and am reluctant to order one without trying it on first. That Shoei mentioned above is $300+ and only available in a 2XL but supposedly in a shape more like my melon. Before I try that I'd like to find a Zeus locally.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Something I noticed about the HJC CL Max helmet is that there isn't a place for the headsets, if you use them. You have to cut out a place for them. If someone has done this, was it hard to do and did it turn out ok and comfortable?

·
Registered
679 Posts
The dealer who has my HJC CL on order for me didn't actually have one on hand for me to look at (we picked it out of a catalog), but he says a headset can be installed without surgery. If it takes modification, the dealer will get his helmet back (per him, without a restocking fee). Ordered a particular color, so perhaps that's the cause for the delay. All my previous helmets were white for greater visibility, but since that theory didn't work (got smacked anywhay), chose a color to match the bike.

I'll give him another week before I cancel the sale and find something else.

Ride long and safe..and my head's worth at least what the new helmet is costing, eh?

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

G

·
0 Posts
I had the HJC flipfront. Took the styrofoam pads out and cut right over the cut out for the straps. Remove the tape holding the liner to the backside of the foam and peel back the liner from the backside. Now lay your speaker in just above the cutout for the chin strap and put a mark there. Cut that area with a sharp knife (be careful not to cut yourself). Under cut at first because it is easier to remove more than to put some back. You are going to need about 1/2" of gap from the bottom of the speaker for the chin strap. I then pulled the liner over the speaker, through the hole and taped it back to the backside of the styrofoam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts