GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an Open Face helmet, and see many folks use HJC. In particular, I was looking at the CL-31, CS-5 and the AC-3. I'm not looking to put speakers or anything in it. Just one to go around town in.

Pros ?

Cons ?

Replace-able Visors / Face shields ? Washable/Removable linings ?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I use the CL-31, and think it's a great, all purpose helmet. It provides better ventilation that anything else I've tried, and isn't too hard to install a headset into. I know you said you didn't plan on doing that, but I change my mind from time to time, and thought you might, too.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have a cl-31 and like it fine. I got paranoid watching the cars zoom around me on my daily commute a few months at and went to a Symax, which is much like a cl-31 with a face shield that moves.. They're both lightweight, comfortable and fit my head well. The symax comes with removable ear pads that are just the right size to instert your headset speakers into..

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Check out the Nolan N-42 ( i tink it is) first. Removable liner, quick release chin strap, nice shield and smoke sun visor, both retractable.
No voids for speakers though....but you said you didn't need speakers.

If Hal don't have em MAWonline will.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Jerry,

I hate to be different (NOT) and it's not one of your helmets that you had listed, but.....

I like the CL-33. It's the same as the CL-31, except .. it has a full face shield. I like the little bit of protection that it offers from flying debris, whether it is little bits of grass or hay on up to rocks. I have taken more than one hit from a rock :shock: on its way down on my side of the windshield. You don't always have time to duck!

I know we are pretty well protected behind the windshield of the GW, but I like a little bit more protection against the wind, rain, dust, gravel, etc. :D

I think the clear shield also gives you protection against UV. It still allows you to smile and say hello to the kids in the cars. (Their mothers, too. :D )

With the multi position ability of the face shield, you can custom vent your face. Stopping for gas, I just flip it all of the way up.

And, yes. Being a Grand-paa is great!
It's your reward for not killing your kids. :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the AC-3. I like it, but then I like an open face helmet. I has a decent visor and I canput on a flip up face shield in seconds when it rains. I wouldn't wear the shield unless it was raining. I would prefer a full face helmet over wearing the shield down daily.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My main lid has been an AC-2 half helmet and I like it. It wasn't expensive, the AC series is lighter than other helmet materials, the liner is removable for cleaning and you can buy replacements. I can’t think of any cons.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have an AC-3. I do not like the fact I can't have both the face shield
& the Visor on at the same time. It is one, or the other. Nice Helmet
though.

Herb

·
Registered
124 Posts
richard h said:
I like the CL-33. It's the same as the CL-31, except .. it has a full face shield. I like the little bit of protection that it offers from flying debris, whether it is little bits of grass or hay on up to rocks. I have taken more than one hit from a rock :shock: on its way down on my side of the windshield. You don't always have time to duck!

I know we are pretty well protected behind the windshield of the GW, but I like a little bit more protection against the wind, rain, dust, gravel, etc. :D

I think the clear shield also gives you protection against UV. It still allows you to smile and say hello to the kids in the cars. (Their mothers, too. :D )

With the multi position ability of the face shield, you can custom vent your face. Stopping for gas, I just flip it all of the way up.
I have the CL-33 as well and like it. I usually ride with the shield up but the part I like best is just flipping it down when the rain starts so my glasses don't get covered and blind me.

I did add tape to the top and bottom of the shield to act as a sun visor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts