GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to buy an HJC IS-33 helmet (2 actually). The only red they make is the "Metalic Wine".
The question is will this color look alright with the '08 Caliente Red Wing? Or will it totally clash? I've not been able to see the color in person or hold it next to the bike to see the difference. All the pics I've seen on the net make it look like a pretty close match.
Can anybody shed any light on this for me?
I guess the only other color I'd consider is their "Anthricite" gray.
Any help on what would look best is appreciated.
(BTW, if it were just up to me I'd buy WHITE just for safety reasons. But since Janet said no white or silver-chrome-dome, well you get the picture!!! LOL)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Helmet Match

If your wing is R303 red as in Dark Red then the HJC does not match. I went with white but that is not an option for you. Black? Matte Black?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is not the DARK RED it is the Bright Red. They call it "Caliente RED". I don't recall the color code off the top of my head but it is the '08 RED.
As for the black helmets (I knid of drew the line on them) just tired of black. That's why I went with the red bike this time. I figured 4 black bikes straight in a row was plenty for now. Thanks for the reply though.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the color but what's wrong with white? You said your tired of black but the white will stand out and will help you be seen better. I have a Titatium 08 and I have a Nolan 102 N-COM in that color but I just bought an ARAI Classic/C White, I think it will help me to be seen.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Aria does a great job of having color matched helmets, they are a little pricey but a great helmet, my 07 is crucible orange and my aria matches great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I also ride an 08 "metallic red" and wear a HJC helmet. The Helmet is " Metallic Candy Red" and matches the wing pretty close. Hope this helps.

Shep

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Why not just slide by an HJC dealer and check the colors? "

I guess that would be the thing to do but the nearest dealer is 100 miles away and I just haven't had time to get there since I started jonesing for a new helmet. I was kind of hoping somebody would be by a dealer and set one on the red bike to see how it looked.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks SHEP. I have seen the Candy Red in the SyMax helmets and it is close enough for me. But I haven't seen the new models of the "IS" helmets in person. And there is no Candy Red in the IS-33 model only the Metalic-Wine.
Some of the HJC "Wine" colors have too much of a purple cast to even blend with red of the '08. I was just wondering if anyone has got the new helmets close to the bike and puked because the color was so bad! LOL.

·
Registered
115 Posts
bigmacace,
I haven't looked at the "IS" series. My Punkin head requires xxxl which is only available in certain models. I wonder what the difference is between the 'IS" series and their other full face hats?

BTW, I just did a permanent install of my J&M headset in the HJC CL-Max modular helmet. The mike in now inlet flush into the chin bar and works great.
Shep

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder what the difference is between the 'IS" series and their other full face hats?

All I know is what I have read. Removeable, washable insides. New outside shell design with what appears to be a good vent system. But the main thing I was looking for is the retractable SUN-SHIELD.
I know HJC has had the sun-shields in the Sy-Max II helmets but this IS-33 is the first 3/4 helmet they have made with it.

L

·
0 Posts
I just rode to the dealer and back to check out the IS-33 (63 miles, 33 degrees, 20mph wind gusts!) They just got one in; XXL Black. I was pleasantly surprised by this helmet, to be honest. I currently have an HJC FS-3 so I think I have a good comparison helmet. First thing I noticed was that the build quality was a bit better on the IS-33. The sun visor had really nice coverage compared to some other helmets I've tried. The helmet was noticeably light compared to my FS-3. I wear an XXL in the FS-3 and the XXL IS-33 was a little bit better fit. Not tighter, just better... hard to explain. The vent design seems to make a lot more sense too. Two vents on either side, about 3 inches off center, small switch on each vent to open and close. I think HJC may have a winner with this open face helmet, especially for the price.

They did not have the IS-33 in Wine color, but I took another HJC half helmet in Wine and compared it to my wing (2008 dark red metallic). The HJC wine color is a few shades lighter and brighter. Plus I was comparing them in the shade, so in the sunlight the difference would probably be much more pronounced.

I think I'm going to pick up and IS-33 now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the report COOP. Your info confirms what I've read about the new design. I've given up on matching the reds and just ordred two Anthricite's yesterday. I was just hoping against hope that HJC had changed the wine color enough to blend with the Caliente Red but decided it just wasn't going to be. The HJC Candy Red is the closest match to my bike and they just don't make it in this helmet. So Gray it is!
Thanks for looking this helmet over.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've been trying to buy an HJC IS-33 helmet (2 actually). The only red they make is the "Metalic Wine".
The question is will this color look alright with the '08 Caliente Red Wing? Or will it totally clash? I've not been able to see the color in person or hold it next to the bike to see the difference. All the pics I've seen on the net make it look like a pretty close match.
Can anybody shed any light on this for me?
I guess the only other color I'd consider is their "Anthricite" gray.
Any help on what would look best is appreciated.
(BTW, if it were just up to me I'd buy WHITE just for safety reasons. But since Janet said no white or silver-chrome-dome, well you get the picture!!! LOL)
i use the wine hjc helmets if you sit it on the trunk its not the same exact color but from 5 feet away you cant hardley tell the difference.

ill see if i can find a pic of me on my ride

and here is my full face hjc wine

·
Registered
105 Posts
Matching helmet for Caliente Red

Hi, I just sold my '08 Wing GL1800 trike. I had 2 Scorpion helmets that matched the Honda Caliente Red perfect. I had a half helmet and an open face one. I let them go with the bike since it was a chore to find them and my new ride is an '06 "Gold" Goldwing GL1800. The Scorpion helmets are a touch higher than HJC I think, but if you want an exact match they have what you are looking for. Hope this helps. Now I am trying to match the '06 Gold, whooppppeeeee!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone for the help and replies.
I pulled the trigger on the HJC IS-33's and have got about 2,500 miles on them. I went with the GRAPHITE color.
The wife and I really do like these helmets so far. We left Okla in the snow and 30* the other morning. With the vents closed we were plenty warm. We rode around the Texas Hill Country the next day at 85* and never broke a sweat with the vents open. The drop down sun shield is great too.
For a 3/4 helmet it's a keeper.:thumbup:

·
Registered
687 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts