GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an HJC Sy-Max full face helmet. Last night at the resteraunt, her helmet chin bar would not unlock. She was able to pull it over her head (a struggle, fortunately she wasn't wearing earings) but we still could not get it to unlock. She wore it home and went through the same process to get it off the second time.

The chin bar does unlock on one side but the other side refuses to let go. Anyone encounter this or know the fix?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wow! Had that happen to me last year. The release mechanism where you pull (under chin) has some plastic tabs to allow a pivot point which broke on mine. You have to lift off (tear off) the covering on the inside of the helmet to find it. The tab simply is supposed to pivot causing a cable on each side of the helmet to retract the pin that locks the face sheild down. Once I found I couldn't fix it, I threw it away, then the dealer in a casual conversation told me a few months later, that he could have sent it back for repair. They need to address this weak point.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Linda's CL-Max had the same problem on two different helmets. The mechanism in the CL is all plastic and is a "pressure fit". They finally exchanged it for a SY-Max and she hasn't had that problem.

I have both a SY-Max and a Nolan N100E. I actually like the SY-Max a little better, but the new Nolans use stainless steel for their latching mechanisms.

Anyway, take it back to your dealer and HJC should take care of her helmet for you.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I broke the latching part of the visor release on my Sy-Max. I contacted HJC and they immediately mailed me the new part. They indicated all the parts can be replaced. I forget the cost of the part, but it was very reasonable and I was a happy rider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts