GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new HJC SY-MAX II helmet. I have been using Nolan N100E and have liked them OK. I looked at the Nolan N102 but did not like the sun shield on the outside. The new Nolan N103 has it inside, which I like but I would have to purchase new J&M head sets. The new HJC SY-MAX II has the shield inside like the Nolan and is a $100.00 less money and I think the standard J&M headsets will work. In the past I have owned HJC helmets and had no complaints. I just wander how this new one compares to the Nolan.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

·
Registered
821 Posts
I got my Symax II on 9 DEC 08, it's an ok helmet. The flip down sun shield is not as dark as I would like, I still wear my shades a lot. It's not as quiet as I thought it would be. Mine was very tight when I first bought it but, I have been wearing for about about 8 weeks and it has loosened up a good bit. You will want to get one that fits really snug while it is new. I will take the standard J&M headset. If you have anymore ???s, let me know.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size of Helmet

I got my Symax II on 9 DEC 08, it's an ok helmet. The flip down sun shield is not as dark as I would like, I still wear my shades a lot. It's not as quiet as I thought it would be. Mine was very tight when I first bought it but, I have been wearing for about about 8 weeks and it has loosened up a good bit. You will want to get one that fits really snug while it is new. I will take the standard J&M headset. If you have anymore ???s, let me know.
I was wandering about the size. Size chart says medium 22-1/2 to 22-7/8" and large 23-1/4 to 23-5/8". My head is 23". I have used large in Nolan and they are a little large after a while. I was thinking about a medium. Do they have enough room for the speakers to fit in or do you need to cut out some?

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Here is another good option to consider.

ZOX modular helmets w/ solar visor $178.95 Genesis SVS, additional lenses $22.95- $25.95; Free shipping, Replacement cheek pads $15.95

# 888-532-0166

I like the looks of them.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I like mine. I have several helmets and the Symax is my favorite. I agree the visor is not as dark as I would like. I might try Fred's idea on the auto tint.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have had mine for a year and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
590 Posts
HJC Symax II

Both my wife and I waited for months to get our Pearl White Symax II Helmets....obviously to match our trike and Bushtec. Immediately, I did not like the tint: not dark enuf AND it doesn't come down far enuf: almost hits in the middle of my eyes...BUT some inexpensive auto store tint worked beautifully AND IF you depress the spring-loaded button on the top, it will come down two more notches: the last notch is intended to help remove it to clean...BUT so far it hasn't fallen off. Plenty of room for our new J&M headsets. Definitely go somewhere and try them on before you order. Their sizes are different than any helmet we have previously owned. My ATV and snowmobile helmets are much more comfortable and the sun visors are darker: Maybe I should have bought a Polaris Helmet. LOL. Johnny

·
Registered
1 Posts
hjc max II flip up helmet

great helmet. takes a while to break in padding in helmet tight but loosens up after awhile i wear a large. lens is ok but on a bright day may need sunglasses. nice though when u dont want to wear sunglasses because its to dark yet in the morning to see everything but nice when riding into the morning sun. communicaters fit in the helmet well. a bit noisy but over all fit and quality is good.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't have much to compare mine to. Overall I like it. I agree that the visor doesn't drop down far enough, but like the poster above, you can depress the retract button and click it down one more notch without any difficulty.

I'm ashamed to say that I NEVER wear sunglasses, so the visor for me is dark enough.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've been wearing a Symax II since March of '08. I wear a 7 3/8" hat & am wearing a Large Symax, fits good. I installed Ed-sets G3 headsets & did remove a little foam under the speakers.

The flip down visor is the reason I bought the helmet. However, the visor distorts my view enough, that I cannot read my GPS. A plus for the visor not coming down far enough is I can tip my head back & read the instruments! I installed a Super-visor on the shield & don't use the flip much at all. I wear Transition prescription glasses, so don't need sunglasses.

If you're looking for a quiet helmet, the Symax II is not the choice. :-(

Sleddog

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've worn the Symax II for the last 7 months. I use the drop down sun visor along with my tinted visor. I ride very little at night so this set up works well for me. I did add some window tint at the top of the visor for those days when you're riding into the sun. The Symax II seems to run a full size smaller than most other lids so you need to try one on to see what size you need. Typically I wear a XL but in the Symax II I required a XXL. Quality, fit and finish are good. Installation of Edsets was straight forward. This helmet will be slightly above average for noise IMHO. Only complaint is the difficulty in getting the visor to close all of the way. I only close it completely on the coldest of days and then it requires an effort to fully close it up.

·
Registered
429 Posts
SymMax II with EdSets

My wife and I love them and I installed the EdSets for intercommunication. They were tight initially but quickly conformed to our head. I would recommend, but agree with others you still need a dark set sunglasses when riding into the direct sun.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I went from the origional SyMax to the SyMax II. I feel the problems I had with the origional, are for the most part fixed with the SyM-II. However, I agree the sun shade lens is too light a tint. I think HJC will offer a darker one soon, as they have a amber tint one available now. I added the "Super Visor" and it is perfect.
For me the sun shade is almost too low and can touch my nose in the lowest position. Nolan has a more square shaped sun shade lens and that does a better job. But I don't like the slider knob on the Nolan. It is positioned on the side of the helmet and all of them I tried at the Int. Motorcycle show worked so hard that they would be near impossible to slide with gloves on. But I do think that the Nolan is truely a better helmet and worth the extra $100 if you can spend that much more.
The Sy Max II is a fine helmet. For the price it is much better quality than others brands like the ZOX that has the internal sun shade but it rattels around when deployed. That would drive me nutz!
I'd go with the advice of trying a HJC on before buying.
You will find that all full face and convertible helmets have more wind noise than 3/4 open face helmets. But the added safety of a chin bar I feel is worth it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Still waiting for HJC to lengthen the helmet just a bit to accommodate my chin. I tried one of the largest size Symax II's and it was perfect, except the chin bar rubbed to the point of annoyance.

If I buy a "flip-up" heelmet, it will probably have to be another brand, but I don't know of one that is more oval shaped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts