GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went by the local Honda dearlership yesterday to buy a can of Honda's Cleaner Spray Polish. Just for grins I asked what the 36K mile valve adjustment would cost and was floored. $730 :22yikes:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
That is just labor, shims are extra.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I am going to do mine some day !! Only 101500 miles on her now so NO RUSH!!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I went by the local Honda dearlership yesterday to buy a can of Honda's Cleaner Spray Polish. Just for grins I asked what the 36K mile valve adjustment would cost and was floored. $730 :22yikes:
Heck, I'll do it for $200.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Is there a DIY post on this site somewhere with good photos?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
They must have quoted you the 'bend over and grab ur ankle exercise' for free but charging about $470 bucks for the jar of Vaseline.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If your bike is running good don't mess with it. You will do more harm then good. Talking from experience of having it done on my 02.

DanL

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
If your bike is running good don't mess with it. You will do more harm then good. Talking from experience of having it done on my 02.

DanL
Can you explain "more harm than good". I have 43,000 on mine and have been thinking about having mine checked.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Holy crap! No wonder you call them stealers!

I had my bike at the dealer last Thursday. It was in ALL DAY. I had the trunk latch update and the windshield ratcheting mechanism replaced under warranty. I also had the valve clearance checked, the coolant flushed, the clutch and brake fluid flushed and the final drive oil changed. Total bill for me: $237.26

:D

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Not having your valves checked is risky. As the valves wear they get tighter and therefore don't make any noise. The next thing you know you have ruined one or more valves. A valve job is much more expensive than a valve check/shim job.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
That's 2 mistakes
1. Buying the current Honda cleaner since the supplier change
2. Asking the stealer for a price on anything in their shop.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
For that price you should be getting 'Gold' valve shims.
Try another dealer or an independent shop.
No wonder the dealers are closing. Keep fleecing the people for everything.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not having your valves checked is risky. As the valves wear they get tighter and therefore don't make any noise. The next thing you know you have ruined one or more valves. A valve job is much more expensive than a valve check/shim job.
Has anybody ever had a valve burned or ruined because the valve adjustment
got too tight? We rebuild auto heads with bucket lifters and other type
solid lifters - about 15,000 a year. After seeing thousands of core heads
come through, I never see a burned valve because of too tight
a gap. I have a good feeling that the owner's never check their valve
clearances.

I would like to know if motorcycle engines are that much different than
auto engines where the gaps need to be checked so often to prevent burned
valves. I can't help but think it is an unproven theory. A lot of money is needlessly spent having valve clearances checked. Maybe every 100,000
miles would be more than sufficient.

Just thought I would ask. I see this valve check thing come up so often
on this board. If I ever check mine, it will be because I am bored and
am looking for something to do.

I am not trying to stir up anything. I would truly like to know if anyone
has burned a valve because they didn't check their clearances every 24,000
miles.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Has anybody ever had a valve burned or ruined because the valve adjustment
got too tight?

I am not trying to stir up anything. I would truly like to know if anyone
has burned a valve because they didn't check their clearances every 24,000
miles.
On the old Kawasaki forums I'm on, the guys seem to have 1000 problems all caused by valve clearances. Everything from rough idling, loss of power, bad gas mileage, hard to start. You name it, the cure is valve clearance settings. i don't believe most of it, however I did have the misfortune of having a valve job done on a 9 month old Kawasaki GPZ1100 back in 1983, and they completely ruined the head and left no valve clearances on any valve and I burned all 8 valves in under 500 miles from their botched warranty work. Still I don't go to dealers fo service to this day as more harm than good they do, at least in my case. i never really heard of a unmolested engine valve burn, so I'm going to do my my own, but not at 36,000 miles. Maybe 60,000 and don't anticipate changing any shims at that time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
On the old Kawasaki forums I'm on, the guys seem to have 1000 problems all caused by valve clearances. Everything from rough idling, loss of power, bad gas mileage, hard to start. You name it, the cure is valve clearance settings.

I had a 75 Kaw Z1 and checked the valve clearances according to the owners handbook (I think) and found several out of spec. Changed the shims to bring it to spec. I checked is 2 or 3 more times while I had it and they never changed.:bow:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am probably the least qualified person to opine on this subject, but I will share my experience with you.

I took my bike into the dealer where I have it serviced by a mechanic who is a mature, experienced professional who is passionate about his work and has done right by me the previous times he worked on my bike. My Wing had 32K miles on it, and I asked to have the valve shim/spacing checked and adjusted if necessary.

Service writer told me they had not seen any Wings that needed adjustment at 32K, and had been suggesting a look-see at 50K-60K. The mechanic agreed, and when I asked him to do what he'd do on his bike, he told me he wouldn't bother with it at this time.

Anyway that's my story.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lake City Honda-Kawasaki

Last summer I only paid $110 !:nojoke: No shims needed. They even cleaned my bike up for me . ( it was raining when I left the bike .) I buy my oil and filters from them . Their OEM parts are also cheaper than HDL. But most after market parts I get from HDL.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I had my valves checked by my dealer at 32,000 miles. I think they charged me $150 labor plus the cost of shims. All my valves were within spec, but three intake valves were tight by .001 (they were at .005 and sec. is .006.) $730 is a rip-off unless they throw in a set of tires.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Can you explain "more harm than good". I have 43,000 on mine and have been thinking about having mine checked.

Having to take back to fix rough idling, poor gas milage and such thast was not there before value adjustment. My 06 has 68000 miles on it and never had the values adjusted and it runs like new. Any machine you play with, the sooner you will have problems.

DanL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts