GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the purpose of the two small holes on the underside of the mufflers near the front of the muffler? I see/feel exhaust gases coming out when the bike is on the center stand, idling. ( hard to reach down there when riding :wink: ) Or, since I bought the bike used, is this something the original owner did to the mufflers?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What he said ^

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What he said ^

·
Registered
504 Posts
What he said too.... Don't plug them up or your exhaust will rot out a lot faster.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Actually you are supposed to put a sheet metal screw into the holes and then hang your extra crush washers there. :a13:

G

·
0 Posts
Red said:
Actually those holes are the lubrication points for the muffler bearings!
Don't lie Red, people will get confused. Those holes are there for the temp sensor for the remote start feature that came on the 2004 Titanium (the toughest) model. Sends the signal to my key-bob to let me know when it is warmed up after I remote start it on cold days

G

·
0 Posts
bangladave said:
Actually you are supposed to put a sheet metal screw into the holes and then hang your extra crush washers there. :a13:
Way too funny!! Thanks for the laugh.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Make sure the screws are tight. If one comes out it will make the front end wobble.

Bradford

·
Registered
755 Posts
I once took my son's 2000 S10 pickup to a muffler shop to get the muffler replaced when I found a round hole in his muffler. I thought it would not pass inspection with a hole in it. They just laughed, and sent me on my way!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was a thought that the holes may be a jet assist for lifting the bike onto the center stand, but you half to have the RPM's up pretty high.
I already replaced the muffler bearings with "Allmy ballsbearings", regreased the the crush washer hangers and reset the muffler computer cogs. So what is next. :wink:
By the way, I did ride to work this morning, beautiful sun rise, 19 degrees.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Muffler bearings and muffler computer cogs......I like that. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts