GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil today in the bike. As I was updating my maint log I realized I went 10k miles on the oil. It did not appear to be anymore dirty than my regular interval. Meaning it wasnt pitch black like your auto oil can get. I will see what the oil report says, ought to be pretty interesting. We are gonna see how good this Amsoil really is I guess. After the oil stopped draining I put in 1/2 qaurt to flush the oil out real good, did this twice. The first time it was still pretty dark coming out. The second time it was clean oil coming out. I have always done this on my bikes and cars, its amazing how much dirty oil you can get out just by wasting another qt of oil.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
And you're a retard... :wink:
I'm leaving in a minute; you still up for a ride tomorrow?
You really are counting on his dementia to kick in?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That's the first I've heard of the fluching with a 1/2 qt.
Sounds like a good Idea... To bad theres no way to 'stir' the bottom of the crank case with 1/2 qt in there, you might get a lot more.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Used to do the same thing with 4 qts of diesel fuel in the crankcase on higher mileage cars, trucks and ag equipment . It has sufficient lubrication qualities for a slow idle for about 30 seconds and talk about junk coming out when you drain it!

Can't bring myself to do it with the 'Wing tho. Someone want to try it and get back with me??

Bradford

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Guys, Guys, Guys !

It is the inside of a well kept engine. Not an operating room.

Do not introduce anything but Motor oil in that engine.

If it ain't broke, why in the world would anyone want to play with it?

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Bulldog said:
I used to put Automatic Transmission Fluid to flush older engines. Relying on the detergent.

I used it once to reclaim an old CX500's clutch mechanism that had started to seize from [email protected] that had accumulated. Ran the engine for about 3 minutes on Automatic Transmission Fluid while I operated the clutch. Drained then replaced with the proper oil.

So Dawg, am I evil incarnate?

I hope so :twisted:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
You're officially on the other side of 40 now and losing your mind.
And you're a retard... :wink:
I'm leaving in a minute; you still up for a ride tomorrow?
Arn Butt, You crack me up! :a13:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
On my cars that would go a bit longer than desired before it got an oil change, I would put a quart of auto trans fluid in the crankcase and let it run for a few minutes. I could see the oil get darker on the dipstick. I was told that it was the higher detergent and dirt suspension capability of the trans fluid that worked like that.

When I was buying used cars, I would drain the oil, put in a 50/50 mixture of oil and cleaning solvent. Run it for 5 or 10 minutes and then drain. Then perform a full oil and filter change. It worked really good.

I also did that service for my friends. I guess we were a little anal, but our engines were clean. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wife and I stoped see what was up with couple on the side of the road today.
Their 2005 wing with its emergency flashers on. (first time I ever saw that!!)

They were deep in a discussion about which way they were going.
Nothing really wrong.
His senior moment....... He had missed a turn somewhere 80 miles ago and we driving them in the exact wrong direction.

It took me, my wife, his wife, and my gps to convince him.

At least us Seniors have fun!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
dw said:
Wife and I stoped see what was up with couple on the side of the road today.
Their 2005 wing with its emergency flashers on. (first time I ever saw that!!)

They were deep in a discussion about which way they were going.
Nothing really wrong.
His senior moment....... He had missed a turn somewhere 80 miles ago and we driving them in the exact wrong direction.

It took me, my wife, his wife, and my gps to convince him.

At least us Seniors have fun!! :wink:
Did you tell him that he could have a GPS on his GW?

Was it the GPS that settled the argument? :?

I have had times when I couldn't find what I was looking for, but my GPS always knew where I was and how to get me back home. :wink:

When riding with others, I am usually in the lead or right next to the leader (in case they want to ask directions :lol: ).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Bulldog said:
Guys, Guys, Guys !

Bulldog
Any good salesman would be pushing this stuff,, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bulldog, Here I am using,wasting, whatever you want to call it and you telling us to stop! Man, your not old baldheaded, grumpy salesperson I thought you were.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Bulldog said:
Guys, Guys, Guys !

Bulldog
You are absolutely right. I don't know of anyone (although I am sure a few exist) that run the 8K miles between oil and filter changes. :?

I am sure that we all want to take care of our babies. Some of us may just go a little too far.

I'm not too concerned with the film of dirty oil left in the engine. Even the 1/2 quart that is supposed to remain after a complete drain. It's all good. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Toyo said:
I changed my oil today in the bike. As I was updating my maint log I realized I went 10k miles on the oil. It did not appear to be anymore dirty than my regular interval. Meaning it wasnt pitch black like your auto oil can get. I will see what the oil report says, ought to be pretty interesting. We are gonna see how good this Amsoil really is I guess. After the oil stopped draining I put in 1/2 qaurt to flush the oil out real good, did this twice. The first time it was still pretty dark coming out. The second time it was clean oil coming out. I have always done this on my bikes and cars, its amazing how much dirty oil you can get out just by wasting another qt of oil.
Seem I'm in the same boat as you. Checked mine on Thursday and it had been a little over 10k since last change. I use Rotella and the oil still looked good. Sure don't plan on doing it again. I guess the weather was too nice for riding and the miles just piled up.

Billy

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Toyo was leading the way home yesterday and I wanted to take him down War Woman Road so he could "go sick" in the twisties.
Sign comes up ahead and call him on the cb; "[static sound] Go east on 64," I say.
He dutifully complies. We stop for fuel. We resume.
2 miles down the road I realize that we're heading back to WOTS and Hendersonville... :oops:
"Uh, Steve, uh, duh, turn around..."

Senior moments. None of us is immune.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Terpen said:
Bulldog said:
Any good salesman would be pushing this stuff,, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx
on [url="http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx" said:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx[/url]]*Note: Engine Flush is not recommended for motorcycles, ATV's or small engines.
My respect for Dawg just grew a little bit more as he did *not* push this stuff. My WAG, the stuff may ruin your wet clutch ...
Arn Butt Bill said:
2 miles down the road I realize that we're heading back
So, looks like no ride is safe at WingStock :lol:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got in the habit of running a quart of oil through my truck after draining the old oil. I've put a lot of money into that truck, and tried it once just to see how much crud came out. Once was enough to convince me. Now I do it every time.
However, I've heard of older engines developing oil leaks after someone has run something through the oil to clean out the engine, so I've been a little leary about doing that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts