GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: Your bike, your responsibility - not mine.

CAUTION: This may make exiting the bike for the passenger from the right side a bit of a challenge. Teach the passenger how to bend the cup holder out of the way if needed in an emergency situation. Take the tumbler, and use it as leverage to either twist forward or aft to clear to exit, as required. See disclaimer above once again, then continue.

This thread Home Brew Cup Holder had a slick application of ingenuity in creating a custom-built drink tumbler holder for the rider.

The issue with trying to recreate this build, if you take the time to read that thread, is the difficulty in finding the key piece of ABS plumbing in which to create what the rider described.

With a bit of Google-fu, this author was able to identify the specific item. At least in my region of the country, there's not a lot out there that has to merge into cast iron pipe, which is the use for this specific assembly. The Mueller 02960 (or equivalent) is a 4 In. X 3 In. ABS Hub Adapter Cast Iron Increaser - Cast Iron Spigot X DWV Hub. I've searched throughout a community of a million people, and in recommended plumbing-specific stores - nobody has 'em. Apparently, there are actually alternate and approved means to do what this item does, which is probably why it's scarce. At least, in my part of the cactus patch.

So, after my input to that thread, I thought "Gotta be another way to do this!" ... and you'll read how I took the idea that @Wing Raider had and tweaked it a bit.

First, the original author made his to use with a RAM ball already on his handlebar. This isn't necessarily duplicating his idea in that capacity, as mine needs to be for the pillion position, so this is how I got there from here, using Wing Raider's design and modifying it a bit.

You need the key part: NIBCO 5801 4 in. x 3 in. ABS DWV Hub x Hub (UPC 039923201386) or equivalent as the actual device that will hold the tumbler. Like the original, this is going to hold a RTIC, YETI, or Ozark Trail 30-Ounce Double-Wall, Vacuum-Sealed tumbler. Now, this is made with ABS. There are PVC versions (white) in the event you want to get a closer color-match to your bike. Different strokes, and all of that. I purchased a DWV version (not a Sch 40) in PVC, fo experimentation only.

NOTE: The discussion will center around the 2" height of mine vs. the 4" height of the original design. I can see two methods to solve this. One actually involves finding a source for that ABS Cast Iron spigot to DWV hub. You've read the story of that already. Barring that, applying a length of high density polyethylene (hpde) foam along the top 1" of the entire inside lip may be sufficient padding to help hold the tumbler in place. It would appear that it would need to be about 1/4" (~6mm) thick. Procure this at a craft store (e.g. Michael's, Jo-Ann fabrics, etc.) The other pertinent point in this - you can actually get this plumbing piece at all big-box hardware stores, as it's very common for reduction of 4" to 3" ABS pipe.

Next, RAM parts - author used RAM B-309-3U for his, so did I. This gives the device a RAM ball attachment. The original author left an area of un drilled material for strength, as did I.

A RAM arm is needed - I went with RAM B-201-U, which is the 'middle' length arm. This is the interconenction to...the piece needed to tie this together.

I went with RAM B-408-112-15U. This will clamp on the horizontal length of the right-side passenger grab rail. If you choose to attach this to a bike that has arm rests, you'll have to evaluate a suitable clamp from the several that RAM Mounts has.

CAUTION: I don't think I would attempt this on the Kuryakyn arm rests; as there could be just too much weight leveraged out there tied into the plastic of the trunk. I'm not sure I would trust it.

Like the build that (author) did, reducing the weight will improve the durability of the mounted assembly. In drilling 120+ 3/8" (~10mm) holes, I took off 3 oz from the overall weight of the cup holder itself. A fully loaded tumbler of water will weigh in at just under 2 lbs (~0.9 kg), not counting the weight of the tumbler itself, which will vary, depending on manufacturer. There's the possibility of even more weight savings; all depends on the hole density you choose.

So much for the science...build it!

Knock down inner lip that prevents the 3" diameter pipe from poking thru the 4" opening. The only thing I can state was it's an approximate measurement, and it's about half the height it was when it was manufactured. As you see, Dremel and a sanding wheel worked well.

You can either do what I did and create a template using a graphic program, or you can download mine and go from there. Note that there's four rows created on half of the template. In the event you find the original ABS plumbing fitting, feel free to use all four rows. Completely your choice. Once you have your template, take your center punch and have fun. Same goes with the bottom section. Measure twice, punch once, then drill once, and all of that. If you don't want to go thru the effort of drilling all of that, feel free to make the holes larger, or move the spacing to a different pitch.

Like the original build, a cordless drill, along with a step drill bit made this fairly easy. Clamps and other means to support your work will make the job easier. So would a drill press, and a four-inch wooden saddle to hold the pipe...but I digress.

Finally, the hole needed to install the RAM B-309-3U. Mine was 1/4-20 screw, so a hole just slightly larger than 1/4" drilled, and again as you see, I did leave a bit of material for strength for this hole.

Mount the RAM B-408-112-15U rail clamp on the bike.

It's been tested at zero miles an hour, and may not have a faster test performed until the end of the weekend at the earliest.

I'm not certain we can beat this topic any further, but if there's questions, I can try to answer them.

Total cost: Approx $40 for the RAM parts, $7 for the plumbing part, two hours of research for the original part, four hours of assembly, documentation, installation and alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Excellent write up. The holder I got appears to be a bit taller;

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Nibco-I038750-3-x-4-H-x-SPG-ABS-Soil-Pipe-Adapter-5805R?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgsuH_JTS1gIVDJJ-Ch31SwNrEAYYCCABEgJfK_D_BwE

I actually weighed the holder before drilling and this is what I found;

Out of the box: 11.5 ounces
After drilling the top section: 9.4 ounces (a drop in 2.1 ounces)
After drilling the bottom section: 8.9 ounces (a drop of 0.5 ounces or a total drop of 2.6 ounces).
Then I added the ram ball (link below) that added weight and brought the holder up to 9.5 ounces, or 2.0 ounces lighter than what I started with.

I suppose it is possible for me to drill more holes in the back side, I didn't go all the way around.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ram-mounts-b-309-3-base-for-m6-6mm-diameter-holes-also-fits-ram-b-309-1

Many of us already have the Butler Cup Mount for the passenger and that is what I will be looking at to mount this holder to. Right now the problem is that I need a slightly longer bolt for the ram mount in order to go through the Butler plated that is mounted to the wing. My other concern with this location is will the ram ball mount pivot too under load, even though it comes with a lock washer. If that doesn't work, I may look at the drilling a second hole into the Butler Plate to prevent it from moving and mount it with this;

https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.com/details/136331/ram-mounts-ram-b-103-a-238u.html?category_id=78700&catalogitemid=120705

If that still doesn't work, then I'll look at putting a torque Ram mount onto the passenger grab rail with this, knowing that it may leave a depression.

https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/78729/Torque-Base.html

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I decided that I didn't want to mount on the passenger grab rail, my wife hangs on when we get to the twisties so I mounted the cup holder to the bracket that I had from the Butler Cup mount, it is the one where you take off the AM/FM antenna to mount the bracket.

Wing.Cup.Holder.1.jpg

Wing.Cup.Holder.2.jpg

I'm not sure why the photos show up sideways.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I decided that I didn't want to mount on the passenger grab rail, my wife hangs on when we get to the twisties so I mounted the cup holder to the bracket that I had from the Butler Cup mount, it is the one where you take off the AM/FM antenna to mount the bracket.

View attachment 234657

View attachment 234665

I'm not sure why the photos show up sideways.
I like it.

I been thinking of making a copy of the Butler plate for a few years now.

I have a Butler ring mounted to the right grab rail via RAM. Still kinda a PITA when picking the bike up after rear tire changes. Also one more thing to mess with when taking off the seat.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'm planning on getting a 'replacement' camelback hose in place of the 'straw', my wife doesn't like to reach over to pull it out to take a drink while I'm driving. I'm also planning on mounting one up front for me too.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A year-and-a-half update...

My wife has used both the original 30-oz tumbler as well as a smaller 20 oz version in the same holder with no issues. One trick...final positioning needs to be angled slightly outboard for ease of grasping the tumbler from the mount.

Several rides with the holder and zero issues. When she's not on the bike, I simply remove and stow the holder and the RAM extension, leaving only the RAM ball on the handle.

I have been able to maneuver (lift) the bike after a tire change with the RAM ball in place with no issues either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts