GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to have one cup holder for two different sized Ozark Trail insulated cups from Wally World. I have the 20oz for coffee and 32 oz for ice water. I thought there has to be a simple way to do this. So off to the hardware store I go with cups in hand..... first stop, plumbing dept. Looking through the ABS pipe fitting I come across a 4 to 3 inch reducer..... I place the cups in it and BINGO.... I purchase one. I take it home, order a Ram 1 inch ball and install it on the reducer. Then I take a rotary sanding disc and enlarge the stop that is inside the reducer. BINGO.... the cups fit snugly in the holder and won't fly out when empty. Now I find the new fangled cup holder a bit heavy. I need to get rid of some material. I laid out a staggered hole pattern and using a step drill to get the largest holes I could. BINGO... the cup holder now weights less than my Ram cup holder. I wanted to test it out before suggesting it to anyone..... 5000 miles and 13 days later BINGO..... IT WORKS!!!! :nerd:

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Let's see a picture of it.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
What are total time and money you had to invest in this? It looks good but I think I would need a bottom on it as I use multiple containers on mine. It looks really good!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are total time and money you had to invest in this? It looks good but I think I would need a bottom on it as I use multiple containers on mine. It looks really good!
Rob
The reducer was $13 CAD and the Ram ball was about the same. The cups were about $8 and $12 USD .The Ozark Trail cups were not available in Canada. I have been told the large cup is now here.
I would say I have about 45min -1hr invested to actually make the cup holder, and could now put one together in 20 -30 minutes (that does not include all the time spent on figuring out how to do it)
I think for the total money spent.... it is better and cheaper than anything you can buy ( now !!!! I already had the double Ram balls on my clutch reservoir and the short Ram arm to mount the cup holder to the handle bars ) you can see in the last pic the Zumo and cup holder on the left handle bar

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
And you have a all season cup holder ! Cover holes in hot summer and open them up for winter cold drink or close to keep drink hot, neat idea. but they will probably have 7 of them on the new wing LOL!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
How did you install the ram ball onto the reducer. I must make one of these as I have the 32 oz tumbler and plan on getting the smaller one for coffee. Thanks for sharing your work!

Reactions: Wing Raider

·
Registered
148 Posts
That looks really good. Looks like professionally made.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 30 oz Ozark trail mug fits right into my Barefoot Willies cup holder, but I like yours, good work.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Have managed to upload 4 pics but they are turned side ways...... frustrating
Good post!
Great idea!

Deserves a little moderator help with pics..

Thanks for posting :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This does look like an awesome hack.

OTOH, I'm reminded of the NASA million dollar space pen vs. the Russian pencil. A Russian might just fill up his big cup halfway with coffee.

**** commies.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts