GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the Home Link box installs? That little box is expensive, but I would not have to wire up another like I did on the 2010. I just don't want to see the box in some silly location taking up cargo space when there is no need for it to do that. Buying that means the extra $150 ish goes to me not having to wire up a 3.7v regulator to replace a battery I never want to change and provide power only when the bike is "ON" or "ACC", wire up an external button on the remote I still have to buy, and coat the circuit board for water resistance. I would suspect that Home Link will work just because the FOB is near - which can be considered an advantage. Also, I will not leave any garage door remote "handy" allowing them to "jump ship" in the hands of whoever. I will never hook one up to operate by flashing high beams blinding my neighbors as they leave home. Finding the button to the opener in my coat can be a challenge sometimes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
5e homelink box installs in the right saddlebag, up in the locking mechanism area, along with your fm antenna. The install is involved, but I tackled it with no problem (first Wing) and combined it with some other accessory installs to make it a little more worth my while.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Does anyone know where the Home Link box installs? That little box is expensive, but I would not have to wire up another like I did on the 2010. I just don't want to see the box in some silly location taking up cargo space when there is no need for it to do that. Buying that means the extra $150 ish goes to me not having to wire up a 3.7v regulator to replace a battery I never want to change and provide power only when the bike is "ON" or "ACC", wire up an external button on the remote I still have to buy, and coat the circuit board for water resistance. I would suspect that Home Link will work just because the FOB is near - which can be considered an advantage. Also, I will not leave any garage door remote "handy" allowing them to "jump ship" in the hands of whoever. I will never hook one up to operate by flashing high beams blinding my neighbors as they leave home. Finding the button to the opener in my coat can be a challenge sometimes.
It installs in the right saddlebag. Here is a video of the install.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My home Brew Home-link works well and a heck of a lot cheaper. Had it the same place on all bikes and never a problem..

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have three remote doors I need to open so the Honda one is out of the question for me. I bought a universal door opener that can open four doors from Amazon for $20. I have it velcroed to the left of the center console. When the steering is locked the bars are over the top of it and keep it well hidden and difficult to remove. If I’m concerned about it walking away or if it’s going to rain I just take it off and throw it in the lockable cubby.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the video. Good answers except for needing to remove the "kitchen sink" to install. Although, it is starting to seem like removing "the kitchen sink" is required for everything...... Having the box hide in non-usable space in the saddlebag is a good place for it. Now, I just need to hurry up and decide if I really want it so I can install 3 button caps at the same time instead of just the driving light one and repeat for the other two for Home Link.

As far as the inexpensive opener..... I already know about that, I have one on the 2010. I will never leave an opener out, accessible, and operational 24/7/365(366). It will be a $40 opener that I replaced the battery with ACC/ON power from the bike (through a voltage regulator) and bring out wires for an external button. I then add water resistance to the opener allowing me to bury it inside the bike where nobody can get to it or even know it is there. What I get with "Home Link" is the ability to not actually need the bike to be "on" or "ACC", I just need the active FOB on me when I push the button and no added button on the "not a DCT" parking brake cover. I also do not have a little heat sink with regulator to find a spot for.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would love to have the Homelink hooked up.....but I'm not paying $200 for the parts and several hours of labor to install it.
So this is what I did.
Used a little velcro. The door locks and no one knows it is there. Saved $$$

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts