GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing around this afternoon with making my own handlebar risers. I bought 10 3/8" flat washers which are just under 1/8" think each. Your handlebars are mounted with two bolts on each side, I placed three washers under the rear bolt and two under the front creating a wedge if you will which raises the bars about 1 3/8" at the bar end and moves it back about 1/2" and brings the bars together about 1".

My question is............Is there anything wrong with my idea as far as safety is concerned? I uderstand because of the difference in height of the two stacks of wahers the surface of the bottom of the bars is not touching the surface of the washers 100%, will this creat a problem of the bolts backing out ?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Steve, I would think that you'd want to have a solid base with full contact, as it should be more rigid/stronger. As someone else has posted on this site, you should use anti-sieze on the bolts, which would help getting them out the next time.

·
Registered
891 Posts
If it works for you.

Steve I am sure being in contact with the handel bars you would be the first to see a sign of loosening up.If you think this may happen just carry the wrench with you to tighten it up untill you get home for plan 2.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like your idea and I may try it myself.
I am at a loss as to why on of the popular riser kits is, I blieve, around $70.00. And then I understand that you must do some modification.
I don't know which I think is most out of line, the risers at $70 or the foam tunnel fillers at $20.

Boy, it sure costs a lot of money to have fun!!!

S

·
0 Posts
That's what I did on mine last year - I just used a single washer under the rear bolt on each side - worked like a charm and raised the bars about 1-1/4"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts