GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old trick garage door opener from my Harley days.
Took apart my garage door opener and found it operated on 12 VDC - same as bikes. That gave me an idea which I'll try to explain.
Removed the plastic housing and the battery taking note which battery lead was the positive.
Found the circuit which is controlled by the button and soldered a bridge between the terminals so the opener is constantly on.
Ran an 18" lead from the positive battery lead to the high beam on the headlight - easy to find with a multimeter.
Used some scrap electrical cord - the type/size used for lights - very low power so almost any light wires will do.
Ran the negative lead to a ground on the bike.
Wrapped the whole opener circuit board in electric tape and attached a velcro strip to it and mounted it under the cowl in the bike where it is protected from the elements.
When I want to open the garage door - i simply toggle the high beam which put power to the opener which opens the garage door.

A whole lot easier than having to take the cowl apart and fish line to get the connections to the saddle bag.

Bonus - its almost free as the opener came with the house and was extra.

·
Registered
27 Posts
An old trick garage door opener from my Harley days.
Took apart my garage door opener and found it operated on 12 VDC - same as bikes. That gave me an idea which I'll try to explain.
Removed the plastic housing and the battery taking note which battery lead was the positive.
Found the circuit which is controlled by the button and soldered a bridge between the terminals so the opener is constantly on.
Ran an 18" lead from the positive battery lead to the high beam on the headlight - easy to find with a multimeter.
Used some scrap electrical cord - the type/size used for lights - very low power so almost any light wires will do.
Ran the negative lead to a ground on the bike.
Wrapped the whole opener circuit board in electric tape and attached a velcro strip to it and mounted it under the cowl in the bike where it is protected from the elements.
When I want to open the garage door - i simply toggle the high beam which put power to the opener which opens the garage door.

A whole lot easier than having to take the cowl apart and fish line to get the connections to the saddle bag.

Bonus - its almost free as the opener came with the house and was extra.
Thats totally cool ...i feel you ...but to much for me to deal with

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
sounds like a good solution for you. 👍

I put our extra opener in a small ziplock bag and keep it in an inside jacket pocket. Press the front of my jacket it goes up. Press it again it goes down. The ziplock keeps it dry if I get caught in a downpour without my rain gear on.

Whether I’m on the Wing or the VStrom the opener is always with me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nice.
I decided to go with a Siri compatible garage door trigger (basically it connects to the contacts for the wall button), tap the button on the Sena and say "Open the garage door". It works from both our phones, whether in the car, walking, riding bicycles, whatever.

It also lets me check if the garage door is open, and open/close it from anywhere. Automatically closes the door after 5 min in case we forget. Less than $100.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts