GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, RATS!
I went through all the steps outlined in Fred Harmon's video series regarding the HOMELINK installation.
Got it all buttoned up and nothing happens!
How can I troubleshoot and find out what went wrong?
Is it a faulty transmission unit, or did I muck up the installation?
I installed this on my brand new 2021 Goldwing Tour model.
I put a lot of time in this thing and it don't open the garage door!!!!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are you sure it’s not working or trying to work? When you push the HL button on the controller, do you see any blinking lights up on the right side of the display panel? Reason I ask is after installing mine I thought the same thing then realized the lights were kinda hard to see.

Before you program it try pushing the buttons and see if anything flashes on the right side of the display. If not, then you got me. Perhaps the module wasn’t plugged in all the way or maybe you gotta bad one. That’ll be a question for on the experts.

Sorry not much help. I just did mine about a month ago and that job wasn’t pleasant so I feel for you having to tear into that sucker again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Tour, Candy Ardent red
35 Posts
I installed the Homelink module and button on my '18 a couple of weeks ago while I had the console part for the fog light switch, and my Homelink didn't work at first either....

I went back and fiddled with the wiring coming through the rear of the saddlebag to the module, and it started working - I think I might have put too much tension on the wires when I guided it between the frame and saddlebag, or pulling the wiring/grommet through the saddlebag hole - but it seems to be working this far....🤞

TD

·
Registered
107 Posts
Please be more specific with what is not working. Are you not getting any lights in the dash or are you have programing problems ?
I had a nightmare trying to program one of my garage doors. One went smooth and the other was a real bear. Turning out I had to get an old door opener I did not use regularly and programed it then use it to pair the bike and it worked.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Had the same problem when i installed mine. Turned out not to be the installation. As I recall, I had to press the door opener button on the old garage door opener beside the bike while having the bike into the learning mode (?) so the bike could copy the code. Once I did that, it works great - good/better range than the original garage door opener.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Homelink light on the dashboard display does NOT light up.
I think the easiest way for me to check is to pull the seat off, and check that connection. I never did hear a distincive "Click" when I snapped the two halves of the connector together. I'll also check out the connection in the saddlebag too. Hope it turns out to be something simple - what a nightmare to add such a simple convenience.
By the way, I watched / followed Fred Harmon's video to install this product. I never got ANY instruction sheet from Honda in my kit!
I'll keep you al posted on my progress (or lack of).
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Homelink light on the dashboard display does NOT light up.
I think the easiest way for me to check is to pull the seat off, and check that connection. I never did hear a distincive "Click" when I snapped the two halves of the connector together. I'll also check out the connection in the saddlebag too. Hope it turns out to be something simple - what a nightmare to add such a simple convenience.
By the way, I watched / followed Fred Harmon's video to install this product. I never got ANY instruction sheet from Honda in my kit!
I'll keep you al posted on my progress (or lack of).
Thanks guys!
I would say that if you depressed either of those buttons and you got no flashing light on your dash, you’re on the right track of checking the connectors. That’s where I’d look for a problem. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
None of the Hondaline accessories I purchased had instructions. They only had a slip of paper with an http address where you could go and view/print them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts