GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Harbor freight bumper winch with a panel cut in garage ceiling.

Reactions: byekryam

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I built mine about 10yrs ago, pretty much the same thing, only my hoist is below the garage ceiling, it handles the Bushtec well..I'll load some pics in the future, don't have any right now..

Reactions: byekryam

·
Registered
2001 Wing, 2005 K1200LT, 2001 Ultra Classic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'm trying to put two of my bikes in the air to free up some floor space down below. The only problem I have with the above video is that there are bedrooms above my garage so it would all have to be pullied below the ceiling. Definitely possible.

·
Registered
2 non Honda motorcycles for now...maybe a 2022 Wing soon
2,269 Posts
Are you trying to hoist a motorcycle up to the ceiling? Unless you have 12 foot ceilings (that are structurally capable of supporting that kind of weight) you won't really gain much room. You might be better off constructing a mezzanine over the bike parking to store items.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, something similar to that or something that attaches to the wall or shelving I have that does the same thing. And yes my ceilings are taller than normal
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And yes, I do understand the weight load and am figuring for compensating structurally for the weight of the bikes

·
Registered
2 non Honda motorcycles for now...maybe a 2022 Wing soon
2,269 Posts
A picture is worth a 1000 words. I think a mezzanine above the bikes might be an easier, safer and less expensive alternative. It looks like the existing structures on either side of the bikes would support a mezzanine.....possibly a pull down attic door for access?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
My garage is sooo small that I've never even had my car in it, and I've lived in my home since 1985.............. BUT I can say that I have ALWAYS had a motorcycle, and a lawn mower, and ALL my tools tucked away inside...........

Ronnie
1/10/22

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can the OP build a shed in the side or back yard? If not, I would think renting a storage unit for the winter might help clear a path for indoor parking. You might get some type of steel shelving, and mcgiver a hoist, lots of work and room for error.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Here's what I did in my motorcycle garage. When I was building it I decided that I'm going with a system that will keep everything off the floor and be fully customizable and versatile to accommodate future needs and plan changes. It would also have to be extremely strong and hold a lot of weight. So I fabricated heavy duty brackets and welded 3/8" all-thread couplers that would go over the trusses. I placed these around the perimeter 24" from the walls and since the trusses are 24" on center so that I can hang Metro-Wire shelves around the perimeter. I also have these strategical placed throughout the ceiling so that I can hand stuff in the future. And since the all-thread screws into these brackets I can remove it all and there's no trace of anything ever being there except a small 3/8" hole in the drywall. Plus, building this with a 10' ceiling also adds to the versatility.

And here's what it looks like with shelves on one side.

And this is what it looks like without shelving installed. If you look closely you can see the small black dots in the ceiling where I can thread in all-thread or whatever else that uses a 3/8 - 16 thread. These are old pictures and I've changed things around a bit, but you should get the idea.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Here's my Bushtec lift I made 10 yrs ago using a Harbor Freight 450# hoist:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts