GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my Motor Trike installers facility yesterday (which is the number 1 Motor Trike dealer in the nation), and he said that Mother Honda has asked Motor Trike NOT to trike the air bag units.

Now both the owner and I scratched our head wondering why Honda would ask this, maybe they know something I dont. However, I could only assume that the trike would benefit from the same safety precautions that a 2 wheeled air bag unit benefits from.

Motor Trike (at least my dealer) is at this point honoring the request until additional information comes out.

Just an FYI.

Keith

B

·
0 Posts
Here is a quote from the top engineer at one of the major trike kit manufacturers:

NO! At this time all I know about the air bag bikes is that the front sensors are momentum sensitive. This is great on a motorcycle. But with the trike, when you turn the wheel, we are no longer dealing with longitudinal G's but lateral G's and this can possibly change the way the sensors react to the difference in steering aggressiveness. The air bag could launch and kill the engine in the middle of a corner (not a good scenario). At this time this is all the info I have received from Honda.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
beastie said:
Here is a quote from the top engineer at one of the major trike kit manufacturers:

NO! At this time all I know about the air bag bikes is that the front sensors are momentum sensitive. This is great on a motorcycle. But with the trike, when you turn the wheel, we are no longer dealing with longitudinal G's but lateral G's and this can possibly change the way the sensors react to the difference in steering aggressiveness. The air bag could launch and kill the engine in the middle of a corner (not a good scenario). At this time this is all the info I have received from Honda.
Based on this, there is no way I would trike an airbag until this is nailed down further. I hope Honda will put clearly in their literature that the airbag unit is not to be triked. That could be serious.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quote Beastie, good post.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
FYI Honda doesnt recommend that any of their units be triked :)

C

·
0 Posts
jim evans said:
Yeah might be true but the older (no air bag)units, dont have the equivalent of a loaded gun (air bag) pointed at your chest.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
beastie said:
jim evans said:
You're kidding right :lol:
Nope. That has always been their official policy.

I can see why. This is a MAJOR modification to a product they spent a lot of money and time designing. If there are problems, where does their liability start and end?

B

·
0 Posts
cavuseeker said:
beastie said:
jim evans said:
You're kidding right :lol:
Nope. That has always been their official policy.

I can see why. This is a MAJOR modification to a product they spent a lot of money and time designing. If there are problems, where does their liability start and end?
When I said, "You're kidding right :lol:" the little laughing smiley should have indicated a tongue-in-cheek statement.

I know Honda doesn't recommend triking. I know that Honda doesn't recommend trailers and as a matter of fact doesn't recommend a host of things we all do to our wings.

The air bag is a whole other issue. Honda knows Wingers pull trailers. They know many people trike their Wings. The air bag is not designed to work properly EXCEPT in a 2-wheel setup. That's why Honda has specifically said, "Don't trike them."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts