GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been changing my own brake fluid the last few times and this time bought the Honda Brand. Container was sealed tight when I opened it to pour into the reservoir. The fluid that came out of the bottle was already yellow. I had an older bottle that I had bought over a year ago and when I opened it the fluid was yellow but not as bad. Has Honda changed their brake fluid or did I just get some bad Honda brake fluid? I went to auto store and bought their Dot 4, which was clear like when the bike was new. Guess my question is yellow brake fluid good or bad?

Mike

·
Registered
899 Posts
I just did mine, I used the valvoline, it was crystal clear.I think the Honda fluids are slightly discolored.I would have done the same as you.better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not to worry

Hondas is slightly yellow when new. I also use Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 and it's clear like water.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Honda fluid is yeller.....plus it sits on the shelf for ten years before anyone buys it.......and it is the one that has all the sludge and gunk in the master when you do the fluid change the next time.

I use the Valvoline synthetic......clear and clean.....and not a bit of sludge in the master when the next fluid change is done.

But I change it once a year........keeps things clean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I didn't get bad fluid. I'll stick with the off brand that's clear when installed.

Mike

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
I would describe it as a yellowish gold. I think they do that for contrast in a plastice resevior. I quit using the Valvoline brand. I found it hard to pour not having a long neck and when I did pour it into the rear resevior, I couldn't see the fluid and lost to much on the floor.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'll gladly take the better specs of the Valvoline brake fluid over the stock Honda DOT4. And I use mine in a trike. Greg maybe you need a flashlight or better glasses.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I've never purchased Honda brake fluid and thus am unaware of their packaging, but if they did make it a long nosed bottle; then I say good on them. I also use Valvolene in the typical brake fluid cans and it is difficult to see when pouring into the rear master because the bottle blocks the view. Better glasses are not gonna help unless they are X-Ray Specs.

But, the fluid that was in my bike as delivered new was CRAP! At 12,000 miles it had jelly boogers in the reservoirs and was quite dark. I don't look for the meniscus (the fluid line) in the glasses of brake and clutch front reservoirs. I look for the white line created by the little white surf board floating on the fluid.

prs

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Honda yellow fluid is crap in my opinion.it always leaves a gravy in the bottom of the reservoir.(seen at first fluid change) I never see this with the Valvoline Synthetic.
I don't understand how someone can't see what they are doing when pouring in fluid. unless your head is directly behind the bottle??

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep........Honda brake fluid is not the best.......looks like little grains of sand in the bottom of the masters........sludge........goop......

I think as it is so high priced it sits on the shelf for years......

Suggestion for seeing clear fluid.....drill a hole in the bottle neck and use it as a gun sight.....Lol......:lol::coffee1::eek:4::twisted::lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just replaced my brake fluid for the first time last week - I used Honda fluid. If I decide next time around to switch to an aftermarket synthetic, how do I clean the sludge out of the master cylinder without introducing air? Is it possible? I thought as soon as you let the fluid go down past the outlet to the brake line air would be introduced into the line and cause problems?

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I just replaced my brake fluid for the first time last week - I used Honda fluid. If I decide next time around to switch to an aftermarket synthetic, how do I clean the sludge out of the master cylinder without introducing air? Is it possible? I thought as soon as you let the fluid go down past the outlet to the brake line air would be introduced into the line and cause problems?

Cheers,
Kerry
Kerry.Suck out the old fluid any way you desire. I use paper towels and a thin screw driver to clean the nooks n crannies out so the reservoir is clean. NO air will get in the system "Unless you pull the lever or step on the pedal" Refill with fresh fluid and continue to flush out the rest of that old fluid.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kerry.Suck out the old fluid any way you desire. I use paper towels and a thin screw driver to clean the nooks n crannies out so the reservoir is clean. NO air will get in the system "Unless you pull the lever or step on the pedal" Refill with fresh fluid and continue to flush out the rest of that old fluid.
Thanks Rocky. Then if all I'm going to lose is the bit in the reservoir, maybe I'll go ahead and do it anyway one of these days. I still have 1/2 a bottle of fresh stuff left over.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. I attracts and holds water in suspension. Once the seal is broken, use it or dispose of it.

DOT 4 fluid is DOT 4 chemically speaking. Selling prices vary and some companies add dye to make it easier to determine when the old fluid has been purged. ATE (for example) offers fluid dyed amber and dyed green. It does make it easier to see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts