GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an email from Honda Canada informing me of their current incentive to clear '18 'Wings out of their warehouse.

If they really want to get rid of carryovers, they need to get serious.

Their offer is $200 off retail, an additional free 1 year extended warranty, and a finance rate reduction of 1%, down to 4.49%.

Wow. Their offer makes me want to run out immediately and buy an '18 Wing.

NOT!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
Got an email from Honda Canada informing me of their current incentive to clear '18 'Wings out of their warehouse.

Their offer is $200 off retail, an additional free 1 year extended warranty, and a finance rate reduction of 1%, down to 4.49%.

NOT!
Is 4.49% for 5 years, if so that's better than any rate I could find when I bought mine.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is 4.49% for 5 years, if so that's better than any rate I could find when I bought mine.
Yes, it's for 5 years.

When I bought my '13 F6B in 2014, the incentives were $3k off list and 0.99% for 3 years.
Offer that and at least I wouldn't be laughing.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Bird, something is better than nothing, right! I paid cash so the financing deal is moot. But an extra year warranty is pretty significant, no??

·
Registered
8,728 Posts

NOT!

Better go get one.
:serious:

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Bird, something is better than nothing, right! I paid cash so the financing deal is moot. But an extraOn year warranty is pretty significant, no??
Only if the dealer and Honda decide to stand behind the warranty. Any real defect in material or workmanship should be found early in standard warranty.

prs

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bird, something is better than nothing, right! I paid cash so the financing deal is moot. But an extra year warranty is pretty significant, no??

What's an extra year of Honda warranty worth?
Honda says that the total offer is worth $1951 in savings.
That pales in comparison to the $3k + .99% for 3 years that I made use of in 2014
Here's a screen shot from my email:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Did better then that offer just by talking to two rival dealers. One offered $4000 off the list price and the other quoted $1500 off the accessories that I wanted. The dealer with the discounted accessories matched the price of the bike and still gave me the discount on the accessories. I also made out on the trade in.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
What's an extra year of Honda warranty worth?
Honda says that the total offer is worth $1951 in savings.
That pales in comparison to the $3k + .99% for 3 years that I made use of in 2014
Here's a screen shot from my email:
Have you looked at the rates that lenders are getting for motorcycle loans lately....they are nearly 7% for 60 months for creditworthy customers. The rates have went up a bit since March when the lowest I found was 5.25% for 60 months. 4.49% looks pretty good right now for a 60 month motorcycle loan.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did better then that offer just by talking to two rival dealers. One offered $4000 off the list price and the other quoted $1500 off the accessories that I wanted. The dealer with the discounted accessories matched the price of the bike and still gave me the discount on the accessories. I also made out on the trade in.
Not so in Canada. A dealer might knock $500 off MSRP on a very good day.
Traditionally it's the mother ship (Honda Canada) that provides any discounting through incentives.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Banks in Florida will not finance motorcycles. examples are Bank of America and Chase

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Next time I buy a bike I am taking you with me!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Have you looked at the rates that lenders are getting for motorcycle loans lately....they are nearly 7% for 60 months for creditworthy customers. The rates have went up a bit since March when the lowest I found was 5.25% for 60 months. 4.49% looks pretty good right now for a 60 month motorcycle loan.

It's been a long time since I've financed anything, so I'm not up on the rate situation. But when I was financing, I shopped rates like I shopped vehicle pricing. I think folks think tat they can't shop or negotiate rates, for some reason. Rates are as negotiable as pricing, accessories, and warranty plans.

When prime interest rates are as low as they are now, AND have been for a few years, paying 4 or 5 times what the Prime Rate is something I would at least challenge at signing time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How to deal

If you shop around and deal wisely, you will get good discount.

When I bought my new 2018 Tour in October, I proceeded in the following manner. ($ are in Cdn)

1- Shopped around the internet for new 2017-2018 GL

2- Found one Demo 2017 listed at $26500 in my area. Agreed on $20000 with my trade (trade below #4)

3- Found used 2018 Tour with 7000 klms for $27950 3 hrs away. Agreed on $5000 for my trade

4- Mentioned to both I had a 2016 Vulcan S to trade ( 3000 klms - new in July 2018 )

5- Went week after to look at Demo 2017 and it was gone. Casually mentioned to the dealer I found a 2018 Tour (#3) for 27950$. He said he could match price for new 2018 Tour (the one I have) manual trans only (was what I wanted anyway). Gave me $5000 for my trade (listed in BB at $4500 ).

6- Checked other dealer in my area and they started at $31000 (MSRP). I stopped him there and told him about #5. He came back with bunch of number. Initially it looked good until I looked at the email of #5. He grunted when I pointed he was not matching and came back final offer $300 more than #5. His bike was Red.

7- 2 days before leaving vacation, went and signed with #5. Bought back rest at listed price but they installed for free.

8- Informed #6 that I had purchased the White Tour and he said I should have called him, he would have match. I told him "You said this is my final offer". So I moved on.

9- Came back from vacation 3 weeks after and bike was ready as promised, just in time to drive it home and store for winter.

10- Bottom line, if you do your work beforehand, you can deal.

I bought 3 cars and 2 motorcycles in the same fashion. All dealt with internet, never even called before we agree on final price (trade or no trade). Did the same for my daughter new WRX.

Being retired I have time to shop and travel to pick up good deal.

35 years ago, my friend came back from overseas with a 1983 SAAB Turbo (I had one also when I was over there). He got transferred up north Canada and the SAAB was not a good choice for over there. Came down in my area and shopped for a new JEEP. I went with him to shop around and negotiate. Bottom line, when it was all done, the salesman shook his hand to congratulate him on his purchase. He then looked at me and said "I never want to deal with you again" but smiling. I guess he appreciated the "combat" and my friend won. I will always remember that one.

So it is in my blood to deal. That's why my spouse hate shopping with me. I will walk away if I do not like the deal, she won't.

When I see tears in the corner of their eyes, I know I have attained the price limit :)

A plus tard

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
What?
:surprise:
No "T" Shirt?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The key word is, "Incentive".........
It might be better than nothing, but I'm just not feelin' the love with this offer......

They'll see what kind of nibbles they get on this carrot before breaking out the big carrots.......
They're just not hungry enough yet...

:flg: 'Murica!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts