GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the cost of the Honda CD player, mounting bracket and installation cost I almost died. Are there any aftermarket CD players designed to be installed in a GL1800?

I've also seen posts mentioning mp3 players in the aux channel. Any recommended players? Do any of these players have cigarette plugs that could go to bike power through the Honda adapter instead of burning up small batteries?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mike, I have a Sony 707 (older version) MP3 and love it. Most come with the AC adapter which plugs into the cig lighter. My player holds approx 5 hours of music to each disc and does not skip, etc. while travelling. Sony has a new version which I understand is much better than min. Either version will fit into the left side pocket where the accessory cord is located. Good luck to you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wal Mart has 10 disc cd changers for $120 that . These are fm modulated. The particular model I have can play cdr, cdrw, and mp3.

I can fit 100 mp3 songs onto 1 cd. They have anti-skip technology that works surprisingly well although on hard bumps you will get a skip as I would think the Honda would also.

I ran the remote wire up under the seat and have it on my gas tank, when not in use i stuff it back under the gas door.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Garmin iQue 3600 will play MP3 files as well as do GPS stuff. The MP3 mutes when the GPS needs to talk to you. Kennedy has a device ($70) that allows you to run the audio to the aux on the stereo. I haven't purchased the Kennedy thing yet for my iQue but that's on my list of must haves. Someday, I'll get a helmet head set and not have to use the aux.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not working and being retired has made it necessary for me to find alternatives to the "High price" goodies.

I found what I use to be great. Sony model#D-SJ301 CD player. It has a 45 second buffer and is water resistant. it's the model that joggers are fond of.
I velcro taped it to the left pocket cover so the aux input line reaches it. The controls are so big that even with summer gloves on I can repeat, skip a song or turn it off easily.
I know that the 45 second buffer works because I use it when flying over some really bumpy roads.
For some the esthetic of a CD player sitting exposed would be a sign of cheapness, but for me it's pratical, besides what about the garmins, garage door openers and cameras etc. that are hung on the bike?

Another nice feature of this unit is that the door to access the guts,so to speak, has a real positive latch that keeps it from springing open and dumping your CD.

So what it only plays as long as the CD, what better excuse to stop and strech you legs and enjoy the view while you choose and play your next selection. Happy listening !

The price tag is around $80 duckets and with a 2 year replacement or repair guarentee for another $20 duckets I still got a great unit for a fair price IMHO.

Just one thing be real careful how loud you turn up the volume on the sony unit . It is powerful enough of an output to blow the stock speakers away.

I know this for a fact because I'm going to have to buy some new ones as soon as my allowance gets built up again.

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes: :excited: :s27:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have been using a Sony Minidisc since I got the 01 Wing, it works great.
It takes forever to run down the rechargable battery down, so I did not hook any type of power wire to this unit.

I record all of my discs in the SP mode for the best sound quality, with that mode the disc holds 80 minutes, & is close to CD sound quality.
I know .....your on a motorcycle...how clear is it ???? I could tell the difference between the 5 hour recording mode & the 80 minute mode.

Mike Byerly

·
Registered
652 Posts
Have a Sony 707 and love it. No need to plug in. Gets about 40 hours on one AA
Wish I had an Ipod. Only because of the I wants syndrome.
TR

·
Registered
337 Posts
If I hadnt already bought the Honda CD Player ( which I love and works great by the way) I would have definitely went with the IPOD. It will hold more songs than you could imagine and is roughly one third the cost of the CD with mount.

I will go with the IPOD eventually just for the ease of operation!

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
There was a post quite a while back about a stock Honda auto unit that would interface with the GL1800 controls & fit in the hole in the trunk. Anybody remember that? I am trying to see if I still have the details somewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
iPOD IS THE WAY TO GO!!

I have an Apple iPod mounted in the left fairing pocket. I also have a 12V auto adapter in the left fairing pocket. The iPod is connected to the AUX input and there is more that adequate volume. The wonderful thing about the iPod is that I have over 100 CD's stored and it only used 4GB's of storage out of 15Gb's. It's easy to use and finding songs, artist or albums is easy with the scroll dial. IMHO this is the best way and you can take it with you. :yes1:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took a quick look at the Ipod and it's listed as a Apple computer item. Does it come with windows compatable software and interface like USB?

Mike

·
Registered
652 Posts
Make me an offer on my Sony 707 with remote complete with at least 15 disks .
I want an Ipod.
Wife just got a 60 inch LCD wide screen high definition TV so I deserve this.
TR
[email protected] :flg:
Its the American way spend.......... spend.......... spend.............

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mike,
The Apple iPod comes with software (iTunes) that runs both on Apple & Windows. Its really easy to use - put CD in computer, import to iTunes & copy to iPod. The longest time is compressing the CD when you import it to iTunes. (about 20-30 seconds per song on my P4-1.5G computer) Once the CD is in the iPod format, the copy to iPod takes 4-5 seconds per CD.
The hookup to the computer is via Firewire or USB

·
Registered
325 Posts
Javern said:
Wal Mart has 10 disc cd changers for $120 that fit into the same pocket as the Honda cd player would. These are fm modulated. The particular model I have can play cdr, cdrw, and mp3.
Javern, whats the make/model # of the cd changer that you got? Interested in that fo sho

·
Registered
43 Posts
Javern said:
Wal Mart has 10 disc cd changers for $120 that fit into the same pocket as the Honda cd player would. These are fm modulated. The particular model I have can play cdr, cdrw, and mp3.

I can fit 100 mp3 songs onto 1 cd. They have anti-skip technology that works surprisingly well although on hard bumps you will get a skip as I would think the Honda would also.

I ran the remote wire up under the seat and have it on my gas tank, when not in use i stuff it back under the gas door.
This might be a stupid question, but....

What you say if you replace the remote controls by cb-controls. I dont have cb and never gonna get one, and wondering to have some real use for these free cb controls in handlers?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use the sony mini disc as well. I saw a toshiba unit in Wing world that fits in the I believe left saddlebag. 300 something.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I use both a Sony mini-disc player ($90) and a XM Roady satellite radio ($80+$10/mo.).

Even though there is no recurring cost on the Sony MD player...the Roady wins. I've only used the MD once since installing the XM system.

It will take YEARS for the XM radio to cost more than the Honda CD changer...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts