GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag TRiO
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version -

New 2018 GW Tour DCT Airbag. 153 miles on it as it sits in my garage today.

I took delivery a couple of weeks ago (~29 miles on it), drive it a couple of times when weather permitted (it's cold here in Upstate NY). In both cases I started with the parking brake on - oops. I realized it right away and finished a short ride. I parked it safely in the garage not knowing if I will get a chance to ride again. Then we get snow. Just a dusting, but winter is getting close.

I have a 2 car garage. A camper sits nicely on one side - all stored and put away for the winter. It's tucked in and not easy to move. The other sides holds a lawn mower, bicycles, a pressure washer, my tools, a snow blower, my Triumph Bonneville T100 Black and the Goldwing. The lawnmower (put away for the winter) and the snow blower are behind the Goldwing. I need to move my snow blower to the front of the garage - just in case we get more snow.

I start the Goldwing and attempt to move it - it won't budge. The parking brake is on and it won't release. Period. I have to take it apart. Off come the body panels and out comes the parking brake assembly. That is when I discover the other problem - the pad that is supposed to sit on a switch to activate the dash parking brake light doesn't sit on the pad. The arm the pad sits on is bent:

So my dash light didn't work either. No wonder it was easy to start out with it on.

I run to my Honda dealer and they tell me can't warranty it. Unless I put the bike back together, rent a trailer, bring it in, let them take it apart, diagnose the problem, order the part and fix it, so I can rent a trailer again and pick it up.

That sounds crazy to me so I discover the part is $127 and I just order it. It is the one on the right in the picture above. The Honda dealer gives me the toll free number for Honda customer support.

I call support and explain the problem. the phone rep is powerless except to take notes and promises a return call from a case worker.

I get a call from a case worker yesterday. They explain they cannot fix the problem unless I put the bike back together and bring it in. I tell the case worker that I understand their policy and that I am looking for an exception. The parking brake has 2 issues, it still won't release and clearly the switch mechanism is bad. I tell them I have pictures and am happy to send them the part for their own determination. No-go I am told. It has to go back in the bike. I stop the person and ask them if that sounds reasonable to them. They don't care and tow the party line. It has to go in the bike. I ask for a supervisor name and am told they can't give it out. I asked for an email documenting our conversation and their decision - and have still not received it.

$127 IS $127 - but it is now the principal of the matter. I managed global customer satisfaction for Xerox for a number of years. My team was constantly asked for exceptions. We considered each case individually and could tell when it was fair and when it wasn't. We maintained a 94.5 % positive customer satisfaction ration.

Honda failed on this one. All I asked for was their consideration and a closer investigation of the problem.

If anyone has a better number for Honda or a contact, I would really appreciate it.

Reactions: bobbsmith

·
Registered
40 Posts
I understand your frustration but I don't know of any automotive or motorcycle dealer that lets you disassemble and replace parts yourself and then warranty the work. For them to warranty anything it has to be performed by one of their certified techs at the dealer otherwise they would have to warranty virtually anything anyone did to their own bike.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I agree with Honda on this one. You have stated in previous posts the brake worked as designed before you took it apart and installed the interlock.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm not siding with Honda, but not many auto manufacturers would warrant the issue as they would be liable if an unauthorized person did the work and had an accident. I'm with you, I do my own work and will eat the cost for small parts as it is more aggravation dealing with dealers. Large expensive warranty claims, yes.

Also, the way that is bent do you think the lever could have been pulled too hard? One doesn't know if that happened prior to you taking ownership.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Vendor
17,529 Posts
Honda failed on this one. All I asked for was their consideration and a closer investigation of the problem.
It sounds like Honda is more than happy to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, they needed some help from you, with real proof that there is a problem. You could always put it back together and bring it to them.

In the Honda car world, I'm sure Honda is far more accommodating. However in the powersports world, JDPowers does not exist which leaves no comparing of customer satisfaction between brands, and dealers being compared to one-another.

You might ask to talk to their local factory service rep ... possibly that is the phone number that you're looking for. However, keep in mind that you're probably one of hundreds seeking some sort of retribution, and Honda has already said no, and his paycheck comes from Honda. The other option is getting some sort of goodwill from the selling dealer. In a situation like yours, to me that is where it should come from. They have the end responsibility of selling you a new vehicle in a safe, working order.

Generally speaking, the service I see from Honda powersport dealers reminds me of car dealer service of the 70s.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have to disagree with Greg on this one. Honda is not working to resolve the issue. You will be giving them the obviously defective part for getting a good one. You are saving Honda the cost of labor on a warranty repair and you are willing to accept that. The labor is also rather simple in terms of mechanics skills. You are not tearing into the engine. Years ago, I got my left control cluster replaced under warranty for a broken spring on the turn signal switch on my 2002. It was obvious it was broken, the shop manager agreed it was warranty; but he said he could not get to it for 8 months for putting it on. WHAT!! I asked, what it I changed it out and gave you the bad part. He agreed. A week later, the new part was in, I picked it up and had the bad one back to him before they closed for the day. I also know of some one years ago that did the same deal on a failed fuel injector, and he never even took the bike in (it would not start due to FI code).

·
Registered
257 Posts
The warranty agreement is clear about this, you need to provide the dealer with the entire vehicle. Honda is still offering to repair it even after you have admitted to having it apart yourself which I think is reasonable. This part has the word 'brake' in it which possibly amplifies their requirement of having a dealer do the work. OP, you made a decision to buy the part and repair it yourself rather than rent a trailer (twice) so the dealer could fix it for free, and I would have done the same. I don't think Honda failed you. Sorry.

·
Banned
356 Posts
The way I read it. Honda did not fail you. They simply denied your request for an EXCEPTION to their policy! Sometimes the answer is, no. It is unrealistic to expect any manufacturer to send a warranty part to a customer to install. Especially anything to do with a braking system.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,295 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised if Honda denies the warranty when they see the bike is a trike..in the past Honda didnt considered a Gold Wing that has been triked a Gold Wing any longer...Honda didnt include trikes in the safety recalls back in 03. I wouldn't let Honda know its a trike.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm with Honda on this one, sorry.........

Besides that, a lot goes into a trike conversion....who says the issue wasn't created during that whole process?
Mmmmm! I didn't know he triked it, that adds a new dimension to this. He needs to take it up with the shop that made the conversion. If it was damaged before he got the bike the technician that did the conversion might, and I stress might know something about what and why this happened. Knowing this now Honda shouldn't even be mentioned in this discussion.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The bike was damaged because you rode it with the parking brake on. Negligence.
Tho admittedly poor design in not having an interlock on the parking brake and the transmission.

Agree with Honda. No way that they can provide you with part, have it installed by a non-factory trained mechanic and then possibly having to eat the liability if something happens.

Reactions: Hoopdc and paulcf

·
Love The DCT
11,890 Posts
OP in this thread stated the parking brake worked before the install of the ”interlock.” “Help! Parking Brake No Longer “Rachets” Update - a Bigger Problem?” OP did the install and now the parking braking is not functioning as designed. Seems to me this would indicate something was damaged during the disassembly / re-assembly by the OP.

JMO. Can’t expect Honda to warranty the part that was not removed by a tech at a Honda dealer.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand your frustration but I don't know of any automotive or motorcycle dealer that lets you disassemble and replace parts yourself and then warranty the work. For them to warranty anything it has to be performed by one of their certified techs at the dealer otherwise they would have to warranty virtually anything anyone did to their own bike.
I understand. I am only asking them to warranty the part. Just as if I had purchased it that way. Otherwise, they will have bigger expenses towing the bike.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP in this thread stated the parking brake worked before the install of the ”interlock.” “Help! Parking Brake No Longer “Rachets” Update - a Bigger Problem?” OP did the install and now the parking braking is not functioning as designed. Seems to me this would indicate something was damaged during the disassembly / re-assembly by the OP.

JMO. Can’t expect Honda to warranty the part that was not removed by a tech at a Honda dealer.
Yes you can. Just as if you purchased it that way.

I get thier position, I was only asking for consideration of my unique circumstances - stuck with the bike locked up at the end of the season. And the fact remains, the part has a manufacturing defect. I am happy to have a Honda technician review the issue in the spring - the required repair to move the bike, the faulty part and the current function.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Please see pics. The part has a manufacturers defect. I have no idea why it stopped ratcheting - coincidence? It doesn't matter. The part has a manufacturing defect. I am not sure I could damage it the way it is if I wanted to!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bike was damaged because you rode it with the parking brake on. Negligence.
Tho admittedly poor design in not having an interlock on the parking brake and the transmission.

Agree with Honda. No way that they can provide you with part, have it installed by a non-factory trained mechanic and then possibly having to eat the liability if something happens.
I did not ride with the parking brake on. I started to, couldn't move and released the brake. Please look at the pics. The bike was not damaged by negligence or anything I could have done. The part was bad from the factory.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
IronMan
17,531 Posts
cant you bypass the switch ? zip tie / tape etc

·
Banned
356 Posts
But you didn't buy it, take it out of the package and find a problem. It was on a bike that was assembled by Honda. And at one time, under Honda warranty. Maybe still. Honda has a policy and procedure to help take care of the issue. You don't want to adhere to their policy because it is inconvenient. You asked for special consideration. They said no. Just because you Expect it. Doesn't mean they have to agree. Unrealistic expectations often lead to disappointment. That's life. You don't typically have life and death situations with a Xerox machine.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts