GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member to this site. I am curious to know why some Goldwing dealers won't work on trike conversions? Even to change a light bulb or install a windshield?

Frustrated in Indiana :crying:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Not doing a light bulb change or windshield install is a bit much, but it is usually that, unless they build trikes, they don’t know anything about them and their shop is not set up to handle them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Lucky for me our dealers here in Northern KY and Southern Ohio will work on Honda Trikes. My local dealer had to fix a problem which originated at the MotorTrike Install.
Bill

·
Registered
188 Posts
I know that this won't help you in your area, but, Honda of Russellville sells them. I'm sure they service them. I saw about 6 brand new tikes on the showroom floor today.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I’m lucky. My local dealer works on my bike. I leave the trike part for the trike dealer though.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
And you wonder why dealerships are closing down?
Just some questions, did he buy the trike there? If not when it was made into a trike, it is no longer a motorcycle it is a tricycle kind of a bike, Repair costs are set on how long to make repairs, not being a motorcycle, who knows how long it would take and when they charge more the customer is upset and comes on sites like this and complain. If he built the trike himself, why would he need anyone to do service? If he bought it at a different dealer, let him go back where he bought it. Interestingly when I lived in KCMO and Deltona, if a HD dealer got a Honda in on trade and it needed work, they took it to the Honda dealer.And if the Honda Dealer got a HD they sent it to the HD dealer for work. They told me time is money and a HD dealer knows how to fix a HD and Honda dealer the same.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm a new member to this site. I am curious to know why some Goldwing dealers won't work on trike conversions? Even to change a light bulb or install a windshield?

All we can do is speculate as to why your dealer won't work on your trike. The only sure way to know is to ask your specific dealer what his reasons are? Only he really knows.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Kinda makes you wonder how far he would hafta drive to find a dealer that would do recall work too. Just saying.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Try Lake City Honda in Warsaw IN. Talk to Charlie in service, they have always treated me right.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
What year is your trike? Dealers around here will not touch a bike that's over 10 years old. Any kind.

Barney

Interesting thought here, my bike is going on 9 yrs old, this season, I have to ask my selling dealer that question! plus it also has been triked!

·
Registered
9,328 Posts

"Liability" or - "I don't want your money because I may have to have a tech work on something they don't fully understand."

Think of it as if it were an RV. The power plant is a known entity. Chevy, Ford, whatever...the engine and how it works is mainly the same, whether it's in an RV or a 3/4 pickup truck.

A Chevy, Ford, whatever... could have engine work done at the dealership - provided they physically have space to fit your RV in their shop.

Your single trike might take up room that two motorcycles could be worked on in the shop.

Now d'ya see the problem?

I have two aftermarket shops in my town, and I have a really good one about 100 miles away. You may have to expand the scope of where you wish to get your work done.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave, sorry to be sooo delayed on this about the dealer not working on my trike, but Lake City was the one I took it to!!!! I just wanted to order and have installed a new windshield vent. Incidentally, for those that don't think a trike is not a bike any more. Everything forward of the rear wheels is all Goldwing. Engine, transmission, electronics, control cables, front wheel, etc are all GL1800. After a near death accident, a trike has enabled me to continue to enjoy the pleasures of the ride. Do I miss two wheels? You bet but wisdom stumps stupidity every time.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Here is why dealers won't work on modified bikes: 1.The mechanics are not trained on the trike or modified bike and this opens the dealer up to liabilities if something happens down the road even if it had nothing to do with the repair they were making. 2. They probably don't have the lift or other equipment to do the job properly or safely. 3. Should the bike get damaged (hey, stuff happens) they may not be able to get parts needed to repair it quickly, if at all. 4. If a simple repair turns up more issues, it could take some time to get parts....this means the lift or bay is tied up while waiting for parts to arrive, which could take weeks.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts

My thoughts:
- 1st and foremost, many dealers don't like working on any GoldWing, and they'll use that as an excuse to not work on yours
- in a shop, trikes take up tremendous
- their lifts might not accommodate them well

·
Registered
790 Posts
You have to go to a Honda MC dealer who is a trike dealer.

My favorite dealer, Everett Powersports, is a CSC dealer and typically has 2-5 Honda Wing trike conversions for sale.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Near you, try GP CYCLE SPECIALTIES ... 6989 Richey Road ... Convoy, Ohio 45832

Talk to Gary Pearl ... great guy, great service. ... Call 419-283-1776

Just 30 miles southwest of Fort Wayne on hwy 30

1 - 20 of 21 Posts