GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a set of the Honda driving/fog lights that go into the lower cowl, but before I do I'd like to know if there are better alternatives out there than the Honda ones and are they plug and play......don't want to cut or splice any wiring.
TIA

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I put the ShowChrome fogs in the lower cowl. The only cutting was the openings for the lights to shine through.

Wiring was plug-and-play. No cutting and/or splicing required. Even includes the relay that kills the fogs when high beam selected, if desired.

The most challenging part was finding the connector under the left fairing pocket/side panel. It is kind of deep, but it is there. When you takeout the switch panel it is more obvious. A number of people on the forum have had trouble finding it.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Yes, there are several. I have EC ion 55watts light in the cowl with amber covers. Plug and play and uses a relay to supply power to the lights, not putting power through the switch. EC also makes a 10watt LED light set that also works very will with a lot of light output.

·
Registered
27 Posts
fog lights

I have the EC led lights and they work great plug and play
,very very bright not a lot of distance but good.The only bad part is the radio gets very statiky when there on,not sure why

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I want to get a set of the Honda driving/fog lights that go into the lower cowl, but before I do I'd like to know if there are better alternatives out there than the Honda ones and are they plug and play......don't want to cut or splice any wiring.
TIA
Be careful about which you choose... driving or fog lamps. The fog lamps mount in the cowl because they need to be low enough to illuminate a fairly short (and somewhat wider) area below the fog. Optically, they are not known for long range light patterns, while driving lights are made for a longer and narrower illumination pattern, and should be mounted higher above the ground for more effective results. I have seen driving lights mounted low - in fog they create more glare; in clear air, they do not illuminate much more than (properly aimed) headlamps.

For the noise (AM, FM, or both?) when the LED fog lamps are on, check with Lewis... he may be able to recommend a filter or other means of eliminating that noise.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the Honda LED's in the fog light slot, and they're plug-n-play. Mainly useful for "critter" lights, in that they light up the sides of the road well, not much for distance lighting. Trying to remember which line to cut in the switch so they DON'T go off when I hit the high beams (DOT rules be damned" Create more of a wall of light for the cagers to have about a 3% better chance of seeing you (though if you put flashing lights and a siren you'd only go up to about 4%)

·
Registered
5 Posts
E.c. Led fog lights

I have the EC led lights and they work great plug and play
,very very bright not a lot of distance but good.The only bad part is the radio gets very statiky when there on,not sure why

I have the same problem with the E.C. led fog lights can not listen to the radio when lights are on. Tried to get some answers from Lewis but no luck Every one that has the E.C. leds and is having the same radio problem should contact Lewis at E.C. whenhe got back to me, he said he had 60 sets out, and I was the only one with the radio problem - obviously there are more!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Although not as "cutting edge" and probably more expensive, there is nothing wrong with the HondaLine lights. I bought a pair for my '03 in '03 as well as, a spare light. If the bike was running, the lights were on...always. The lights are still doing fine and the spare light is still in the box on the shelf.

Besides providing more visability, the main benefit for me is tight cornering at night when your headlights are shiing off into the woods. Being seen is good but being seen and being able to see is even better.

These have been through he11 and back but are still doing fine. I do use clear rock gaurds over them. I use these lights on all of mine.

Z

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I bought a pair of the led from EC from wing ding this year. I like them because you can have all 6 lights on at the same time. That helps out in the middle of no where. I believe Honda ones turn off when you turn the high beams on. No i don't have any problem with my am/fm/aux. Might want to check your wiring and have a good ground. Thanks Lewis, I was the one that had to go to your shop because you had already sold out after the first day.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the Electrical Connection with the OEM style switch with yellow bulbs. They are fused and hook directly to the battery, switch plugs into wiring harness. I have had them for about two and a half years with no problems.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought the Hondaline LED foglight set. Install was a snap including the relay and switch. Unfortunately I've yet to find the darn connector to hook them up. Tearing it apart again this weekend...

J.D.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I bought the Hondaline LED foglight set. Install was a snap including the relay and switch. Unfortunately I've yet to find the darn connector to hook them up. Tearing it apart again this weekend...

J.D.
Good choice.:thumbup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
What ever choice you decide on for fog lights there, I strongly recommend buying the Honda lens covers for them. It will prevent the lights from getting cracked from road debrie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts