GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most of ya'll know about the problem with the earlier model GL 1800's being sold with the trunk tail/brake lights unremovable because of the studs turning instead of the acorn nuts. I've read many posts about Honda replacing the tail lights because of the problem. Did you know that Honda's policy seems to be that if you go long enough without having to replace a bulb that they give NO assistance in getting the problem corrected? My bike is an '01 with a little over 73k miles on it but until recently, there's been no need to remove the lights and as chance would have it, my bike is one of the ones with the problem. American Honda's reply was that the bike was out of warrenty. Obviously, but with Honda's reputation I fully expected them to stand behind thier product especially with it being a manufacturing defect AND a safty issure at that! I think everyone needs to know that unless you buy a new Honda on a fairly regular basis... American Honda may leave you out in the cold. If you agree, I'd welcome any suggestions as to how to get the word out. Other than than posting on the other Goldwing and Harley message boards I plan to write Consumer reports magazine along with some Motorcycle publications. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is printing some fliers and placing them on stores bulliten boards such as Wal-mart and the like where ever my travels take me. I just think people need to know before they buy a Honda product.

I'd like to add that the local service manager was competely co-operative and seems as surprized as I was at Honda's reaction. He knew the bike was out of warrenty but he said he also expected Honda to replace the light as an act of goodwill.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is a big difference between "Manufacturing Defect" or "Safety Issue" and "Poor Design". You are reaching just al ittle too far on this one. Yes, it is a bad design and the guy who drew it up needs to be beaten with a whiffle ball bat, but as far as a safety issue.... I would have to disagree.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thriller

You may have a point but until I'm able to get the light fixed, my bike either remains parked or I have to ride it with the brake light bulb not working. Yes, it's a poor design and yes it's manufaturing defect meaning I am not at fault. I guess it's just my opinion that it's a safty issue but thanks for your input.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
Maybe that is one of the reasons that Honda is closing a plant... their
reputation of refusing a known warranty issue is catching up ... its just
possible previous loyal Honda owners ... are buying other brands because of Honda's unfriendly warranty decisions...

cosmic

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Wayne from Alabama said:
I'm sure most of ya'll know about the problem with the earlier model GL 1800's being sold with the trunk tail/brake lights unremovable because of the studs turning instead of the acorn nuts.
I'd like to add that the local service manager was competely co-operative and seems as surprized as I was at Honda's reaction. He knew the bike was out of warrenty but he said he also expected Honda to replace the light as an act of goodwill.
Who found that your bike had the problem? You, or the Honda dealer?

I'm really NOT looking forward to the time I have to replace a rear bulb, but when one goes out I plan to take it to the dealer to get it replaced. If they break anything, they can deal with Honda regarding getting it replaced. And, I have the extended warranty on my '02, so perhaps that will help.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved with Honda.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I would hesitate to call this problem a design or manufacturing defect... my 05 is the same design as your 01. A safety problem - not a chance because you won't fall down or run into something if you can't get an acorn nut off. It is a workmanship issue (an assembler put them on too tight, probably per work instructions lol), which is covered under warranty. I do agree that Honda should cover it even if your bike is out of warranty since it is a known workmanship issue.

Having read this board, and knowing of this issue, I checked all the acorns on every taillight lens soon after my purchase. Fortunately, they all came off - again, not a design or manufacturing defect. When I put them back on I dabbed some anti-sieze on them to eliminate the problem.

I'd go back to the dealer and try to speak with the Honda service rep. Be calm, don't get angry, be a gentleman and especially don't bring up design defect or safety issue. Just reiterate that other's have had this problem, which Honda has covered under warranty and that you would appreciate a bit of goodwill. It might work. If it doesn't, bite the bullet and buy some lenses or sell the bike if you're that unhappy. Bitchin' will only get you ulcers. lol

·
Registered
762 Posts
I already replaced my lens cause it was stripped was a pain in the a$$ to get it out. But you don't have to remove the lens to change the bulb :idea:
They didn't cover mine either and it was under warranty

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Wayne, not to incite a riot, I pick my battles with my service department and warranty issues. Every time I have them look at my bike, it costs me into the hundreds of dollars of my time to arrange and even more because afterwards I have to fix the mess their incompetent hands have molested on my bike.

My seat seams fell apart after 28K miles. I had them order it, I replace it on their tarmack with my own tools, worth the price and trouble. But ...

Even under warranty it is not worth it sometimes. My right hand passenger cubby was damaged right from the factory. Did not realize it until I saw that others did not have the ventillation mine had. I ordered the parts over the internet from HDL parts for a mere pittance, it arrived in about a week and I replaced it quickly and easy, four screws in the trunk done. It would have cost me more trouble in trips to the dealer, stress on my life, to have them replace this cheap part under warranty than the part cost to purchase. Now ...
Wayne from Alabama said:
You may have a point but until I'm able to get the light fixed, my bike either remains parked or I have to ride it with the brake light bulb not working.
Does your bike really need to remain parked because you are in pitched battle? The right housing is P/N 33710-MCA-671 priced at $37.09. The left housing P/N 33760-MCA-671, same price. The nuts are P/N 90167-SA0-980 for $2.60, but I am sure you can reuse them. You establish the price of three or more trips to the dealer, the stress of waiting for Honda to fess up to their misdemeanor, the shortening of your live by that vein about to pop in your forehead. Is it worth it to steam yourself up especially since your vehicle is out of warranty and you have no legal basis for your complaint?

I understand you want your pound of flesh, Honda should be ashamed and is probably even loosing customers over this, but exagerating your plite and failing to recognize that you have economical or more expedient options is not going to garner any success. Life is too [email protected] short (I know of what I speak :-( )

Now quit yer whining, get on yer bike, and ride it until you've decompressed and remembered why you ride in the first place!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Salyzyn

Re; the right passenger cubby hole/pocket thingee.

I noticed several years ago that mine had the bottom broken also, infact a piece missing. Can't figure how that could have happened. as there is no external damage or scratches.

Don't suppose you would have that part # handy would ya?
I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Mac Clarke
[email protected]

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wayne from Alabama said:
the only thing I can think of is printing some fliers and placing them on stores bulliten boards such as Wal-mart and the like where ever my travels take me. I just think people need to know before they buy a Honda product.
Not only should you post flyers in all the Wal Marts, but post them in the 99¢ stores, waffle houses, and all the dairy queens. That should just about cover 99% of the potential winger population and where they shop or eat. Good luck... :roll:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I had the same problem you described with my 89 GL-1500 trunk side light assembly. I think it was made by Honda but maybe not. Anyway, the fix is not all that difficult. Use a Dremel tool with an abrasive cut-off disk and cut up one side and the top of the acorn nut parallel with the threaded stud. Then use a small chisel to spread the nut until it comes free of the stud. Yes, you will have to damage a bit of the threads but try to go only as deep as necessary to split the nut so it can be removed. I used Super Glue to re-bond the metal stud to the plastic housing and used Never-Seize before putting on a new nut. I don't see why this same procedure wouldn't work on the GL-1800 tail lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.