GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I bought a new 2007 Honda GL1800 that will be Triked at the California Side Car Factory in VA beginning of February. I received the Extended Warranty offer from Honda. It ranges from 12 months to 48 months. Since this is an "Unauthorized Alteration" the only items on the drive train that would be covered is the engine. Has anyone who bought a new Honda that is Triked bought this plan. Now the engine has a warranty of 36 months if I am correct. Is it worth the extra dollars to buy an extended plan for a Trike Conversion? Heck, the engine alone could be a $4000 tab if something catastophic shoud happen.
By the way, first Post. :?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Welcome Steve.

You have 36 months to buy the extended warranty. These is no justification that I can see, in buying it now. You will have your monies tied up for 36 months, in someone else's account. If for whatever reason, you sell within 36 months, you are betting you are going to be able to get your extended warranty money back in your price. (If a buyer wants the warranty, you can still get it within 36 months.)

I know alot of folks do buy it at time of purchase, but that seems to me like purchasing a life policy that does not go into effect for 3 years, when you can buy the same policy at the same price in 3 years. Not to mention the fact that Hal (our sponsor), has from time to time run sales on the additional four year warranty. There are alot of us out here w/ trikes that have the extended warranty, and have had no problems w/ claims.

Again, Welcome aboard.

I

·
0 Posts
Whiskery is correct. No need to buy it now.

Your bike would still be covered under the extended for any problem except those directly related to the trike conversion components, ie differential, trike rear suspension, trike rear brakes etc. I doubt that Honda will cover a frame problem on a trike conversion. I don't anticipate that I will ever have one.

Some have had problems getting warranty coverage on their trikes for engine/tranny problems because they were triked. Mostly because of bad dealers who don't have a clue or are just as*holes. Honda cannot deny them. As for engine electronics, (ECM/O2 sensors, etc) Honda has to fix it because it is emission related. There is no extended warranty coverage on any audio system component, whether 2 wheel stock or triked.

My dealer had no problem writing the extended warranty on my 02 trike, and assured me I would be covered. I believe him.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I asked my dealer when I bought mine about the Trike vs warranty.
The owner rides a trike and told me that he will always honor the warranty
I did buy the extended at purchase only because I didn't want to deal with it later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts