GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electrical issue on my goldwing. My turn signal switch is bad. A dealership advised me that Honda will not cover this repair because I have aftermarket lights on my bike. They said that automatically VOIDS my warranty. I bought the bike used and transfered the warranty. Does anybody know if the warranty actually saids that or is that just what the dealership is saying. Any suggestions on how I should resolve this problem?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Tell your dealer to do a little internet research and read the (I believe) Magnusson-Morrisey Warranty Act. A Federal law regarding vehicle warranties.

From what I 've read on it, the the manufacturer has to be able to show that the modification caused the failure. If you added 50 lights and burned up the switch from running too much current through it, that sort of thing.

What kind of additional lighting did you add? I added LED's to my trunk and saddlebags. But their current draw, like most LED's, is negligible. You have to add over 130 to get 1 amp of current draw.

From the parts fiche, it doesn't look like the turn signal switch is available separately.

Didn't say how old the bike is, but you may want to try spraying some TV tuner contact cleaner in the switch. It may just be gunked up.

Or take the lights off( if possible) and try a different dealer.

If it was me, in any case, I would be patronizing a different dealer from then on out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just had my switch replaced under the Honda extended service plan without any issues. I have several accent lights added. The service manager never made an issue out of it and probably did not mention it to the warranty person. They would not, however, replace the broken passenger cubby door because it was "misused". I think it has a lot to do with how the dealer rep presents it to Honda people.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a set of PIAA 910 lights (110W - each), satellite radio, Fuel + computer, Valentine 1 with visual alert, iPOD with aftermarket harness and additional Garmin GPS unit wll hard wired in on my '06 with ABS. Dealer is replacing burned out small bulbs in handlebars and side panel switches.......under extended warranty. Dealer got the OK from Mother Honda.

I think OP should find another dealer.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
1.The MM act is about the most misinterpreted act there is. Actually it will be your responsibility to prove a mod or none factory part/accessory didn't cause a failure that leads to a warranty claim denial.
2. Any mod or non-factory part/accessory that is made/added can cause a warranty denial.
3. Any factory approved mod made or part/accessory added must be done by a trained tech at an authorized dealer to retain warranty.
Having made those statements, a #2 does not void the entire warranty
example: installing a trike conversion may result in warranty claim denials for any drive train related failures, while other failures/defects would still be covered.
The key word being "may".
Some dealers may cover a item that shouldn't be by not reporting that to the manufacturer.
Other dealers, being totally honest, will report something that should be and refuse the warranty claim, which flags your bike in the warranty system so, going to another dealer won't do any good.
Other failures require a visit from the factory rep whom will
definitely refuse a warranty claim id he/she feels a non approved mod has been made or a non-approved part/accessory has been added.

·
Registered
610 Posts
that's why I used an auxiliary fuse block and ground block to wire in electrical accessaries. no warrenty issues.:eek:4:

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
Ditto with the post above.

I would try another dealer.

What kind of aftermarket lights????If your bike is lighted up like a Christmas tree with no fuse block and you tied into the wiring I might agree with him

Most have plug n play fog lights which technically are aftermarket. I never heard a dealer deny this item.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
1.The MM act is about the most misinterpreted act there is. Actually it will be your responsibility to prove a mod or none factory part/accessory didn't cause a failure that leads to a warranty claim denial.
2. Any mod or non-factory part/accessory that is made/added can cause a warranty denial.
3. Any factory approved mod made or part/accessory added must be done by a trained tech at an authorized dealer to retain warranty.
Having made those statements, a #2 does not void the entire warranty
example: installing a trike conversion may result in warranty claim denials for any drive train related failures, while other failures/defects would still be covered.
The key word being "may".
Some dealers may cover a item that shouldn't be by not reporting that to the manufacturer.
Other dealers, being totally honest, will report something that should be and refuse the warranty claim, which flags your bike in the warranty system so, going to another dealer won't do any good.
Other failures require a visit from the factory rep whom will defiantly refuse a warranty claim id he/she feels a non approved mod has been made or a non-approved part/accessory has been added.
You are correct and your explanation is a good one.

The warranty act is frequently thrown up on websites to support demands for warranty work when someone has modified his vehicle. Their arguments sound good until presented to the dealer or manufacturer who laughs at them.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
This is the computer age, visit one dealer and you have a full record.

Such as my meter panel went out, so any dealer , anywhere knows the true mileage of the bike, it is in the computer.

Visit one......depends on if they write up an invoice, if they do , it will be on record, if just a verbal discussion......most likely another dealer is cool.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just went to my local dealer for a safety inspection and was put into the system. I noticed a sign on the wall that said their policy is to charge one hour's labor ($90) to diagnose any warranty claim, payable before they start. If it winds up being warranty work, the labor charge is given back. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess if it's one of those "sometimes here, sometimes not" type problems, it could take awhile to find, but...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just went to my local dealer for a safety inspection and was put into the system. I noticed a sign on the wall that said their policy is to charge one hour's labor ($90) to diagnose any warranty claim, payable before they start. If it winds up being warranty work, the labor charge is given back. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess if it's one of those "sometimes here, sometimes not" type problems, it could take awhile to find, but...
I think the diagnosis charge makes sense because some people will tie up a shop for perceived issues that cannot be found. Randomly occuring issues are a PITA to confirm.

Hope you didn't take your bike to FMS, even for an inspection. I would never let them near a bike I owned. :eek:4:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts