GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It took a while but Honda finally has a solution to a problem affecting Gold Wings that resulted in two previous recalls. Honda first began a recall in December 2011 on Gold Wing from model years 2001-2010 and 2012. In September 2014, Honda re-addressed the problem, initiating a second recall because the first recall solution did not work.

Honda is in the process of amending the second recall with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration with a solution and Gold Wing owners will soon be asked to bring their bikes in for inspection. Meanwhile, Honda is opening new recalls in Japan and Canada on Gold Wing models, expanding the recall to model years 2013-2015 as well. The original two NHTSA recalls do not include these more recent model years but we expect the recall will be expanded to include 2013-2015 models.

The problem is with the secondary master cylinder of the Gold Wing’s combined braking system. Something was causing the rear brake to drag, even when the brake pedal is released. A dragging rear brake may affect stability, increase the risk of a crash. More alarmingly, over an extended period of riding, it may generate enough heat to catch fire.

Documents released by NHTSA for the original 2011 recall attribute the problem to a lack of sufficient free play inside the master cylinder that can cause a blockage of the compensating port. Documents for the second recall indicate the problem was continuing to happen, even on recalled motorcycles. As of July 24, 2014, Honda had received 533 reports of rear brake drag including eight reports of small fires. At the time, Honda did not know what was causing the problem, nor did it have a solution for preventing it.

Honda now believes the problem is caused by a chemical reaction releasing a zinc compound into the brake fluid and preventing the hydraulic pressure from dropping and releasing the rear brake. Honda has developed a new secondary master cylinder that will prevent this from happening. Honda dealers will inspect the secondary master cylinders on affected motorcycles and, if necessary, replace it and flush the brake hoses.

Read More Here: http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/10/21/manufacturers/honda/honda-finally-has-a-fix-for-gold-wing-rear-brake-drag-issue/

·
Registered
317 Posts
bump up

·
Registered
296 Posts
took honda almost as long as general motors with their ignition key problem. and gm was a cover up. if it was a honda car it would have been fixed a long time ago. i guess a motorcyclist life is not worth as much as a cager.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I took my bike to a dealer in NJ for the recall and they told me , after inspection, that there was no problem with the breaks. When I took my bike to FL for a tire change the manager look it up and told me the caliper was changed at the dealer in NJ.????? Now ,that the real problem has been found, are they calling the bikes back again?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I took my bike to a dealer in NJ for the recall and they told me , after inspection, that there was no problem with the breaks. When I took my bike to FL for a tire change the manager look it up and told me the caliper was changed at the dealer in NJ.????? Now ,that the real problem has been found, are they calling the bikes back again?
If your first recall was a few years ago then yes they are recalling the bikes again. You should be able to look up your Vin number online and confirm the status.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had mine done about two weeks ago. I had my 4k maintenance as well and that cost me $280, but the recall cost me nothing. I cannot say I have noticed any difference, but then again I only have 4000 miles on it. Not bad though, I have only had it since the end of September

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am new to this forum and new to owning a Gold Wing. Can someone tell me where to look up my vin? I have only had the bike for about 5 days and have experienced this problem already. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got mine in last week and it took a day to get the master cylinder replaced. Brakes were much better on the back. Hopefully the last time we all need to hear about brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have 47,600 miles on my '12 and never had a problem but took it in last Thursday and had them do the upgrade and flush. No charge recall. Don't really notice any difference but I guess that's a good thing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had the brake recall service done on my '03 (110,000 miles) last week. The service tech said the brake lines were almost completely plugged; as bad as anything he has ever seen. Though I had experienced no problems with the brakes, I definitely now feel an improvement in stopping power.
No charge for the service - dealer did a great job.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I didn't know about the new action Honda is taking...I have had a recall notice on my desk since
December '15. Made an appointment with the dealer and they are to replace the front and rear M. cylinders. My bike is an '05. Never had any problems at all w/ it but did have an issue on my '02 but only one time where they kind dragged on a hot day in Sturgis in '03. Didn't think much about it
at the time. Attributed it the hot weather that day!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't know about the new action Honda is taking...I have had a recall notice on my desk since
December '15. Made an appointment with the dealer and they are to replace the front and rear M. cylinders. My bike is an '05. Never had any problems at all w/ it but did have an issue on my '02 but only one time where they kind dragged on a hot day in Sturgis in '03. Didn't think much about it
at the time. Attributed it the hot weather that day!

The guy manning the service desk when I dropped off the bike said they were going to change both masters as well. Went a picked up the bike no new front master. I said what gives?
I was told oops wrong answer just the back is in the recall.
Hmmmmm Don't know about those boys sometimes?????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts