GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had opportunity this weekend to ride with a fellow 2018 GW rider and was immediately unimpressed with the amount of light output from his Honda fog lights as I lead some of the ride. Mine were certainly no better. I went home and raised the bulb alignment on the left side in 5 minutes with the attached results.

I know they won't be effective in the night fog and may agitate a motorist now and then but I installed the lights so I could be seen and I think this is a vast improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
There worth their weight in Gold at night when adjusted properly. High beams on in the day do the same as what you did to your fog lights. Doesn’t make sense to me as you loose the hog light with the high beams on. JMHO

Reactions: Alberta Beagle

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you want to be seen, the best option available (IMHO) is a headlight modulator. Keep the fog lights for what they are intended for as they are nowhere near as effective at making yourself seen during daylight hours as a modulator.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Those will likely be in other drivers eyes at night being aimed that high. Not a good solution in my opinion. Nothing good will come from blinding other drivers at night and its rude as ****. Run with your high beams during the day and get a modulator if you want to become more noticable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those will likely be in other drivers eyes at night being aimed that high. Not a good solution in my opinion. Nothing good will come from blinding other drivers at night and its rude as ****. Run with your high beams during the day and get a modulator if you want to become more noticable.
The fog lights contribute little to low beam night illumination outside of fog. I don't ride much after dark these days and the deck gets too stacked against the rider when you add fog and the deer wild card. Better to stay put. I don't intend to utilize them after dusk and agree that it would be extremely rude to other motorist. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a simple option to increase rider "day time" visibility.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know there's a vocal crowd that LOVES their headlight modulators... But I'm not aware of ANY study that demonstrates headlight modulators improve safety, in any measurable way. At best it seems to have no effect, and there is some evidence to suggest it actually distracts drivers (counter-productive, wouldn't you agree?)
Don't care about a study, common sense tells me I can be seen better with a modulator. :wink2:

Am i distracting other driver, good that means they see me! :laugh:

·
Registered
711 Posts
:popcorn:
If you want to be seen, the best option available (IMHO) is a headlight modulator. Keep the fog lights for what they are intended for as they are nowhere near as effective at making yourself seen during daylight hours as a modulator.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Being "seen" is the wrong thing to focus on, imho. Not getting hit is what I care about..I certainly don't approve of mis-using high beams.
Doesn’t being seen go a long way in preventing you from getting hit?? How are you misusing high beams when there are federal and state regulations approving high beam modulation in all 50 states? If people get pissed off because you run a modulator, the only person they should be upset with is themselves for not knowing the laws or having a clue that a flashing white light does not indicate a LEO/emergency vehicle. I’ve had several people pull off the road, flip me off, tell me my lights are flashing, and all sorts of other things but all of these encounters have one thing in common, they all saw the bike. Most bikes don’t run them and most drivers have never seen them so when a bike comes by with one on, they dont know how to act. Again, a modulator is the best way to be seen during daylight hours but if you choose a different option that’s fine. I don’t usually ride at night so my brights and modulator are always on. If other motorists don’t like it that’s too bad, it’s for my safety and not theirs..

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Some things are better left alone-live & let live, to each their own JMHO. Life goes on.....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Can you provide a link to any third-party study (not paid for by a company that profits from headlight modulators) that shows they improve safety on motorcycles?
I formulated this whole page response but then decided, why bother you do what you do and life goes on. In regards to a study, Look up the study "Development and Testing of Techniques for Increasing the Conspicuity of Motorcycles and Motorcycle Drivers". This study was performed by the Highway Safety Research Institute (they don't sell modulators), and their study found that (Page iv) daytime conspicuity can be significantly improved by:

1. Causing the headlight to modulate at a rate of about 3 hz.
2. Riding with the headlight on
3. Wearing high visibility (fluorescent) garments.

Furthermore, on page 83 the study discusses the summary of daytime treatments. The study concluded:

Data suggest that the daytime conspicuity of motorcycles can be improved in several ways having a meaningful effect on the drivers of automobiles. Riding with the headlamp on seems very effective, although causing the head- lamp to modulate from low to high intensity seems to improve response even more.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not to pour fuel on the fire but when I am driving my car and see a bike with a modulating headlight it does not piss me off.

Nor have I ever heard of anyone getting pissed off...but that might be because I do not own a modulator.

Regarding the fog light. Not sure if a misaimed fog light would be an issue...depends on how bright and how high.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I formulated this whole page response but then decided, why bother you do what you do and life goes on. In regards to a study, Look up the study "Development and Testing of Techniques for Increasing the Conspicuity of Motorcycles and Motorcycle Drivers". This study was performed by the Highway Safety Research Institute (they don't sell modulators), and their study found that (Page iv) daytime conspicuity can be significantly improved by:

1. Causing the headlight to modulate at a rate of about 3 hz.

2. Riding with the headlight on

3. Wearing high visibility (fluorescent) garments.

Furthermore, on page 83 the study discusses the summary of daytime treatments. The study concluded:

Data suggest that the daytime conspicuity of motorcycles can be improved in several ways having a meaningful effect on the drivers of automobiles. Riding with the headlamp on seems very effective, although causing the head- lamp to modulate from low to high intensity seems to improve response even more.
I will say live and let live, everyone has to do what makes them comfortable. But I would like to point out that the data in that study is 40 years old. There is no comparison to a modern motorcycle and the one in that study.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
The fog lights contribute little to low beam night illumination outside of fog. I don't ride much after dark these days and the deck gets too stacked against the rider when you add fog and the deer wild card. Better to stay put. I don't intend to utilize them after dusk and agree that it would be extremely rude to other motorist. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a simple option to increase rider "day time" visibility.
I’m sorry, are you blind? The fog lights do a great job of lighting the road right in front of you within about 100’. This area is pitch black especially on a moonless night and a dark Mountian road. They are a mandatory install in my books and I think they should be standard. If you haven’t noticed, this headlight is dangerous if your on a twisty road as I’ve described above. I know, I’ve been there in Maggie Valley.

Reactions: oldbikerbill

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would like to point out that the data in that study is 40 years old.
Of course there is. This is one of the documents used to formulate the federal legislation. Like you have pointed out, we have known for 40 years the benefit of modulation and still people can't grasp the concept. So in your argument the other findings are not valid like running with a headlight or using fluorescent clothing to be better seen because it was identified as important 40 years ago. We still have headlights that are required to be on in the day and people still favor fluorescent clothing for visibility so how can you discard the part of the finding because you disagree with it while accepting the others? Obviously this is going nowhere as no matter what is provided folks will still argue against it. Again, do what you do and I will continue to run my modulator.:capwin:

Reactions: Alberta Beagle

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Of course there is. This is one of the documents used to formulate the federal legislation. Like you have pointed out, we have known for 40 years the benefit of modulation and still people can't grasp the concept. So in your argument the other findings are not valid like running with a headlight or using fluorescent clothing to be better seen because it was identified as important 40 years ago. We still have headlights that are required to be on in the day and people still favor fluorescent clothing for visibility so how can you discard the part of the finding because you disagree with it while accepting the others? Obviously this is going nowhere as no matter what is provided folks will still argue against it. Again, do what you do and I will continue to run my modulator.:capwin:
The point was that a bike 40 years ago was

1. Unlikely to be faired
2. Did not have always on headlights
3. Did not have position lights
4. Did not have brighter Halogen, H.I.D, or L.E.D headlamps.
5. Did not have dual headlights

These things are a given on most modern motorcycles today. Nowhere in that forty year old study did it imply a Modulator would make you more visible than a motorcycle with these additions. It was just one of the choices to make you more visible than the 40 year old motorcycles in the study.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Being "seen" is the wrong thing to focus on, imho. Not getting hit is what I care about.

Distraction != good.

Pissing off another motorist is especially not good. That's why I don't approve of mis-aimed headlights, fog lights, accessory lights, whatever. And I certainly don't approve of mis-using high beams.

But you do you.
:agree::clap2:

(Not sure everyone knows "!=" is "<>" or "not equal" but they should now. :) )

1 - 20 of 39 Posts