GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Is anyone on here running the Honda fog lights?

Are you glad you went with them over aftermarket options? If so, what are the advantages?

How is the light, easily noticeable at night?

How complicated was install?

Any other choices that are a better setup? If so, what makes them better?

:popcorn:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had the dealer install the Honda fog lights before I picked up my bike in May of 2018. I looked at the install instructions (pre-Heli Bars tip) and decided I wasn't up to the task.

I don't do hardly any night riding any more. I had them installed to enhanced my visibility to oncoming traffic for day riding. That said, I did ride a few nights last season and the fog lights did enhance my ability to see the road.

I believe some of the after market products may be brighter. I went with Honda primarily because I wanted them installed when I picked up the bike. I'm happy with my choice.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had the dealer install the Honda fog lights when I got my bike. I looked at the installation pdf's along with all the accessories I wanted and decided I wasn't going to be able to do the job in less than 2 weeks so I just paid them the $1,000 to install all the accessories so I could ride the bike.
Like some people I don't do much night riding and installed them to make the bike more visible during the day. I don't really know how they work at night.
I know my headlights need to be adjusted.
I know some of the after market fog lights are brighter. You should check out Cruiseman's videos on fog light comparisons.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts
I went with The Electrical Connection fog lights....I just liked the way the Electrical Connection fog lights look on the bike. Electrical Connection claims they put out more light than the Honda fog light...they seem bright to me. They were very easy to install. I installed the lights on the bike one night after work and then installed the OEM style switch the next night after work...maybe 3 hours total taking my time.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Hi folks,
Is anyone on here running the Honda fog lights?

Are you glad you went with them over aftermarket options? If so, what are the advantages?

How is the light, easily noticeable at night?

How complicated was install?

Any other choices that are a better setup? If so, what makes them better?

:popcorn:

He may have other comparisons before or after this.

prs

Reactions: GoingGrey

·
Registered
153 Posts
Rivco fog lights are very bright. The standard Honda head lights are fantastic but during my IRON BUTT ride I was very happy I had the extra lights.

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
I will be putting fog lights on my Wing but honestly I've not decided which brand to go with yet. There are a lot of choices now and most of them seem pretty good.

The Electrical Connection kit is the one I'm leaning towards right now, I like how it uses an OEM style switch. I'm not very fond of that Rivco stick on button they use.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have Electrical Connection and am very happy with them. I understand they are brighter than Honda. They are well constructed, and easy to insatall, and use the O.E.M. Switch system, which I particularly like.

·
Registered
19,251 Posts
RIVCO
Made in America
Brighter

Cost less
Put button where YOU choose
Cost less

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
stock honda for me also ...............I had the dealer install them for me...................

when I purchased it...........

Ronnie

·
Registered
616 Posts
Look at the Pathfinder lights by SoCalMoto
I like what they offer, however I don’t want the modes you pay extra for. I really have zero interest in a strobe mode or even the ring mode, I’d much rather have the button simply be an on/off switch rather than a modes switch.

One option I do like is the Darla lights by Clearwater. They have some functions which I desire greatly, like flash with the horn, brightness control dimmer, and a full bright mode on high beam. Three big downsides though: they are pricey at $570, they are a complicated install with custom wiring, AND they stick out the front of the covers which looks really bad in my opinion. If Clearwater made a streamlined kit which fit the housings better I’d likely be paying the premium for these even despite the complicated install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do any of these options/companies stay on with the high beams on or do they all need the bypass wiring? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
so is it the consensus that the EC lights are the brightest out there so far? among those that fit INTO the housing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you decide to go with E/C (I did), be sure to get their Honda Goldwing / Tour Fog Light Reconfiguration Harness:

This harness will allow the use of your LED fog lights when the high beams are on.
Built into the harness is a waterproof MODE switch that allows 2 operations.
MODE switch on ~ fog lights will be on anytime the key is on, even with high beam.
MODE switch off ~ fog lights will be controlled by the center dash switch and will shut off with high beam.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts