GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 02 used. It has Honda Foglights. I have thinks all torn apart right now and the light are unplugged, but at any rate, they are working on High Beams for sure and maybe all the time, I just can't remember.

I am wanting them to work only on low beams.

Can anybody tell me where the relay is for the Honda lights? A good description of picture would be appreciated. I need to move the wires so they work only on low beams.

Why. I am adding HID's under the mirrors that I will kick in with the highbeams so I can see in the wilderness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ALL RELAYS I HAVE FOUND HAVE BEEN UNDER THE SEAT THE FOG LAMP RELAY THAT PLUGS INTO THE HONDA HARNESS IS ON ON THE LEFT SIDE. FOLLOW THE WIRING FROM THE FOG LIGHT SWITCH SHOW CHROME LIGHT KIT SHOULD BE WIRED THE SAME AS HONDA THEY ARE USEING THE STOCK HONDA HARNESS.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Fog Lights

Try to find the wiring diagram,or just trace it back from the lights as to where it goes,and swap it to the low. I would put it on a seperate switch and use as needed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the Foglight schematic in the manual. It does not look like it has a relay, which means the lights would be on any time the switch is pressed. I did not receive the fog light installation instructions (wish I had).

So are the lights on all the time as stock?

·
Chard Member
13,050 Posts
The only thing I can tell you is that the Hondaline cowl lights are designed to be on with low beams only. They go out when you go to your high beams!

·
Registered
759 Posts
red is correct...fog lights will only turn on with low beams..however, if you disconnect the blue wire at the relay...the fog lights will turn on with low or high beams. I did this to mine...works for me. I have the hondaline fog lights...they do come with a relay.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob, do you have the installation instructions that you could scan and email me.

I'm looking at the manual (it's an 01 manual) and on page 9-6 for the foglights I dont see a relay. Where is the relay? I understand how it works if I can find the relay.

I got the bike put back together enough to figure out that my Hondaline fog lights come on with both high and low beams.

I'm trying to figure out how to get it back to low beam only.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
AL2000 said:
Bob, do you have the installation instructions that you could scan and email me.

I'm looking at the manual (it's an 01 manual) and on page 9-6 for the foglights I dont see a relay. Where is the relay? I understand how it works if I can find the relay.

I got the bike put back together enough to figure out that my Hondaline fog lights come on with both high and low beams.

I'm trying to figure out how to get it back to low beam only.
I am looking at Page 9-6 of the ETM. This shows the schematic for the Fog Lights(optional). I see the relay right in the middle of the page. It is the Taillight Relay Photo 38 which is found in the Relay Box Photo 35.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The taillight relay is what allows the lights to only be on when the ignition is on. But there should be a relay that is triggered by the high beam/low beam switch.

The high/beam low beam switch is not shown in the circuit, that is what is confusing.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Hey Ho Pards!

I installed the Honda lights a few months back and I didna have to remove the seat. I had to remove the left side trim of the top cover, then the left front pocket. The factory provided a plug 'n play socket right there under the pocket that the fog light harness pluged into. The factory circuit likely does course back to the junction box under the seat, but that lead is already in place up front. If I kept my instructions, I will get back with you for a fax number -- it may be history. It should not be hard to locate as the switch is supposed to be installed on the left top panel and the wire run is from there to the plug in site -- fairly short and direct line if memory serves well.

prs

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the switch. I found the harness. But the lights work on both high and low beams. So I'm guessing there is a relay that has been bypassed or removed.

If need be I will just work with what I have and rewire it but I would like to not have to do that if I can figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
AL2000 said:
The taillight relay is what allows the lights to only be on when the ignition is on. But there should be a relay that is triggered by the high beam/low beam switch.

The high/beam low beam switch is not shown in the circuit, that is what is confusing.
Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. I don't know about the Honda Light kit but the Tulsa kit has a relay that you install somewhere under the left pocket. The wiring harness plugged into a connector that is located inside the rubber boot at the lower corner of the panel opening behind the headlight adjustment panel. You will be looking for a white 4-pin connector. Short of that I would have to take a look for myself and start tracing wires.

·
Registered
384 Posts
fog light

The factory lights have a relay that is connected to the switch and to the factory harness, some have removed it so they work with the switch only.
This is a bad Idea, from what I understand there have been some damaged wiring harnesses from running them without the relay and just using the switch.
Lewis, has a "fix" with a relay and jumper, as I recall. He is at Indy and probably not be back in the office until probably Tuesday.
Allen/Tulsa

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Sorry, I can be of no help since I found my install book and noticed it was Tulsa light kit!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Allen. I think I finally figured out that somebody either pulled or didn't install the subharness as you describe.

I ordered the harness from Lewis. His worker told me that it won't work with low beam only, but I bet I can get it to work even if I have add another relay off the highbeam switch to control his relay.

This stuff isn't brain surgery but it is hard working out of a black box.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
To clarify what Allen said.................

The Hondaline and Showchrome units run full current through the foglight switch regardless of whether the relay harnesss is installed or not.
The only thing removing the harness does is allow you to operate them on both hi/low beams.

The Hondaline and Showchrome units require either owner modification (easily done with an additional relay) or by purchasing the EC harness modification in order to eliminate the "slow burn" of the foglight switch..............The switch just can't handle the current and is a bogus design to begin with................the foglight current should be ran through a relay and the supply for the relay (milliamps instead of 6 amps!) ran through the switch.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Brian. This is what I deducted from looking at the service manual but thought there was no way that could be right. So I kept looking for an answer that was just never going to be there.

I ordered Lewis' harness and will get things wired as they should be.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the update. I bought the harness from Lewis and finally figured out what is going on. When you look at the female plug from the main harness on the bike you have (when looking at the end of the connector with notch up).

Upper right a blue wire that is hot with high beam and ignition.
Lower right a brown wire from the tail light relay which is hot with ignition
Lower left a green wire to ground
Upper left a feed back to the Honda Fog Lights

I wanted my Honda fogs to work on low beam only and some HID's to work with the high beams when the Auxiliary Switch was on. Here is what I had to do after adding Lewis' harness:

Cut the red wire which is hot when the auxiliary switch is on. Run the switch side to #30 (power) to a new relay. Run the relay side to #87A (normally closed terminal) on the new relay.

Add a wire to the terminal in the open spot on the male end of Lewis' harness . (This is the upper left when looking at the front of the connector with the notch up) This connects to the Blue wire on the main harness which is hot when the High Beam is on. Run this wire to #85 (trigger) on the new relay

Run a ground to #86 (trigger ground) on the new relay.

Run a wire from #87 (normally open terminal) on the new relay to the HID relay (normally open) trigger.

Walla. Took me about an hour to draw the schematic, but should have HID's tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
fog lights

I have got the EC harness on order can anyone tell what and where this thing is going to be installed and what parts that have to be removed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts