GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Looking for some advice on which small quieter Honda Generator to buy for Motorcycle camping. Want to be able to run a 5000btu A/C in the summer and a small heater when it is colder. Lights and other smaller items too. Found a good price on a nice used eu1000 but I'm not sure it is powerful enough. Thanks for any advise you can provide this M/C camping newbie.

Should mention that we are pulling our 2005 Aspen Classic camper with a 2005 GL1800.

Dan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Might Work

Check the generator carefully. It should be rated at 900 w continuous duty. Then check your ac very carefully. A modern 5K btu room ac should work if it does not draw more than seven amps or so. A really efficient ac might just draw about 5 amps. Try to go to the low end of current draw if you are getting a new ac also...start up current draw would be the major obstacle. Neat idea. Good luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
You are taking a generator and an air conditioner on a motorcycle?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm using the Honda EU2000 and it does what I need it to do, it ran my refrigerator when we lost our power so I would think that it would run your AC unit.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to try and take the AC unit and Generator for some trips that do not have power at the camp site. The eu1000 is suppose to weigh less than 29lbs and the eu2000 weighs less than 47lbs. Haven't weighed the AC unit yet but it is a newer one and does not seem real heavy. I'm hoping thee eu1000 would be big enough for what I need but I have no experience in this area. That's why I'm asking for any advice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You will need the eu2000 to run most any of the small heaters. Low heat on mine is 1000 watts and high heat is 1500 watts. That is not including the startup requirements.
I wanted to buy a Honda 2000 but decided on the Champion 2000 inverter/generator. It is very quiet (53 decibels) and only weighs 48 lbs. The Honda eu2000 is rated at the same 53 decibels and weighs 47 lbs. I found the Champion on sale for $500 with free shipping. Couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The smaller gen probably won't start the compressor on a 5k btu window shaker. It takes 4 -5 times the running amps to start a compressor. The gen would have to surge to that point and a 1000 watt won't surge that much. The 2000 might do it, but might not restart the compressor if it cycles less than 3 minutes. Cap tube metering won't equalize pressure that fast.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You need 2kw per HP for starting....do the calculations and conversions....

·
Registered
584 Posts
I doubt the 2000 would start up a 5000 btu AC. If ut did it would be a strain and it will operate under a full load.

Get a 3000 watt min. It also will have a larger fuel tank so it will run all night without you getting up to to off the tank on a 2000 watt generator.

Camping world has a brad that has good reviews, quiet, and has a wireless remote. The 3000 watt was around $1300 and only weighed 127 lbs.

Or save the $$$ and wear & tear on the MC and stay in a motels on the hot nights.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I don't know anything about A/C and won't comment on that.

For the colder times -- consider one of these catalytic heaters. Either as an alternative or a supplement to your electric heater. There are larger models on that page (look at the size drop down box) and there are other makers, but I'm told the Camco Olympian is the Rolls Royce of them. It is silent and sips LP. I talked with a guy at the RV show a few months back and he swears by them (he wasn't selling them). I got one and have run it a half dozen times, goes all night from one of those little disposable Coleman cylinders which, BTW, you can refill them for personal use from your standard BBQ 15lb tank using a fitting that would cost you about $20 to get the parts; use <$1 worth of propane for a night. They are silent and require no power at all, a decent alternative to running a generator all night.

51dMW-hZ0nL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Honda Generators

The EU2000I will run a 5000 btu AC unit as long as nothing else is on. I took one to Sturgis in 07. We had the only AC tent in the Buffalo Chip campground. We ran the AC and a 2 cubic foot refrigerator. If the AC was on and the fridge came on the generator would shut itself off. The EU1000I WILL NOT run either of those devices. I work part time at a dealership that sells Honda bikes, ATVs, and powerproducts. Suggested retail for the EU2000I is $1149.00.

Another product is the EU3000I Handy. The Handy weighs 78lbs. It's a lighter version of the electric starting EU3000I which weighs 153lbs.
It features pull starting, wheels, and a fold up handle for easy moving. Suggested retail is around $2300.00 to $2400.00.

Go online or to you local Honda powerproducts dealer and ask for a generator brochure. It has a chart that lists the starting and running wattages needed for various appliances.

Avoid Chinese made generators!! Nothing but problems!!

Hope this helps!!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
488 Posts
Something else to check on. How many campgrounds will let you run a generator all night? I know you can not in a National Park Campground.

Another vote for the Olympain heater. I use the model 6 in my big family pop up with a 12 foot box, and keeps it nice and warm when the temps are in the 30's out. The small one on low should keep the Aspen nice and warm.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Amps X Volts = Watts

·
Registered
6 Posts
eu1000, yes it will work

I know because myself and a buddy of mine do it. He has the Honda eu1000 and I have the same size in the Yamaha. The key is in the 5,000 btu A/C that you choose. We both have a Frigidaire with the low voltage start capability. I use to service and install A/C's in my dad's company many years ago and we'd put these start capacitors on A/C's that were hard to start on just the run capacitor. I don't know for sure, but I suspect what makes these units "low voltage start" is that they have a starting capacitor as well as a run capacitor. Most A/C's do not have a start capacitor because it adds to the cost of the unit. I purchased my A/C from K-Mart and my buddy ordered his from Walmart. Walmart did not have them in the store, only online. K-Mart and Sears had them at their stores. It will say on the outside of the box "low voltage start". We had this same discussion on the motocampers website..........:doorag: fyi,I also have 2 Honda eu2000's. would also be a great choice if you don't mind the extra weight. (42 lbs, I think, vs 27 lbs)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I would tend to agree with Robert in the above post... We used to use our EU2000i to run our 13.500 btu AC in our RV... It would run it as long as nothing else was on and our AC did have a "soft start, hard start, low voltage start, whtaever you want to call it, to li it inrush current when the compressor was starting...

I would think the EU1000 would run a 5000 btu AC unit but 2 caveats - - probably won;t be able to powr anything else while the AC is running and Honda advertising is a bit misleading as the EU2000 is rated at 1600 wayys continuously and the EU1000 is rated at 900 watts continous... The EU1000 is rated at 7.5 amps continous so there should no issue running a 5000btu AC unit which draws about 4.5 amps and a bit more on startup...

These EU series generators are extremely quiet and have an Eco throttle control so that the generator will slow down to idle when current is not being drawn... These are extremely nice generators and are a favorite amongst the camping/RV crowd because of their low noise level albeit a bit on the pricy side...

Les

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think you can buy the start capacitors buy themselves and wire them in on an RV AC, so you should be able to do the same with a portable AC.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I have done a lot of research on these small generators, starting with the Honda ones. They are no doubt nice generators, but give a serious look at the Yamaha generators too. They have some nice features for similar money, are just as quiet if not quieter, (depending on the model), and some do not use nearly as much fuel as the Honda generators. I was looking at the larger models, but I would imagine the same thing would apply to the smaller ones as well.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Something else to check on. How many campgrounds will let you run a generator all night? I know you can not in a National Park Campground.

Another vote for the Olympain heater. I use the model 6 in my big family pop up with a 12 foot box, and keeps it nice and warm when the temps are in the 30's out. The small one on low should keep the Aspen nice and warm.
It's not just National Parks. Many campgrounds don't allow the running of generators past a certain time. Other campers get a bit testy if you keep them awake. Even a "quiet" generator makes a more noise than you realize.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have two eu2000i's converted to tri fuel (LP, natural gas, gasoline). They are very quiet, if I have them running in the back yard (10 to 15 ft from house ) you can hardly hear them in the garage or the house with windows closed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts