GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the paper and CD official service manual. Also the Clymer service manual. The Clymer manual took their own pictures and often I find a view that the official manuals don't have + a few good hints. Clymer was well worth it.

Has anyone purchased the Haynes manual and what is your opinion of it? Are there original pictures or just copies from the official manuals? $23.95 at Amazon.

Paul Sullivan

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Sorry, I have no experiance other then using Honda manuals. I can tell you that for another manual to use the pix from a Honda's manual requires permission from Honda. Any picture that even you, and I take is copy righted. So the author probably takes his own shots.

Glad to hear there are other manuals out there that others can use. The OEM ones are always written for a trained Honda tech working daily in the industry.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I have many times found little extras in Haynes manuals that helped. But too often Haynes manuals have also caused me to waste a lot of time. Many times pictures don't match what you have, and procedures are incomplete.

Overall I don't find them to be worth the money. To me, they are barely adequate, even as a supplement to the OEM manual. I stopped buying them. If they work for you, then it was a worthwhile investment. Honda's OEM manuals are not very good when compared to the rest of the industry. But they are still better than anything else out there.

I will never forget the time when I was following a troubleshooting procedure in a Haynes manual, and at the end, it said that if I got a certain result, (I don't remember what it was), instead of referring me to the appropriate page, it said to take the bike to a dealer for service. That was a lot of help.:roll:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts