1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Nice! Although brake pad heat is easy to smell, not that I know. I wonder how much pad life I lost in 1/8 mile...

I sent an email asking about the install.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Am I the only '18 owner that has a red light that comes on with the DCT brake? I always look at my instrument panel when I shut the bike off and power it on, and as I drive off to make sure the alerts go off.
youre not the only one with a light, just the only one looking for the light.:grin2::wink2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why Honda didn't put an interlock on the parking brake so it won't go in gear on a DCT till you turn it off is beyond me. Seems like an obvious no-brainer. This will help, though. Does the non-DCT have a parking brake as well? Probably not.

Marc

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why Honda didn't put an interlock on the parking brake so it won't go in gear on a DCT till you turn it off is beyond me. Seems like an obvious no-brainer. This will help, though. Does the non-DCT have a parking brake as well? Probably not.

Marc
Only the DCT has a parking brake.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

Marc
Honda probably figured if a person is smart enough to activate a parking brake, that same person should be smart enough to deactivate it. Seems Honda was wrong.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts

Marc
cuz with a switch/circuit failure you can't put it in gear....

·
Registered
271 Posts

Marc

cuz with a switch/circuit failure you can't put it in gear....
Huh? You had better remove your side stand switch and circuit then if that is your concern because that is exactly what it’s purpose is. The bike is made up of all kinds of switches and circuits that will inhibit it from starting much less putting it in gear. These switches and circuits are all very reliable in the Gold Wing as with any modern vehicle.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
Huh? You had better remove your side stand switch and circuit then if that is your concern because that is exactly what it’s purpose is. The bike is made up of all kinds of switches and circuits that will inhibit it from starting much less putting it in gear. These switches and circuits are all very reliable in the Gold Wing as with any modern vehicle.

Yea, its a bit of a puzzle for me too why Honda didn't add an interlock. Since most motorcycles don't have a parking brake, it isn't unusual that riders are forgetting to release it. I think folks will eventually get into the habit of checking it, but riders new to the DCT will be most at risk for leaving it on. This flashing light modification should help.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Help me out here, somebody, please. Why is anyone using the parking brake in the first place? Asking seriously. I'm not seeing where it's needed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Help me out here, somebody, please. Why is anyone using the parking brake in the first place? Asking seriously. I'm not seeing where it's needed.
Sometimes you park where there is a risk of the bike rolling or being easily pushed. Also it is one more thing to confuse someone with bad intentions. If you see no need for it, then there is no need for it.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Sometimes you park where there is a risk of the bike rolling or being easily pushed. Also it is one more thing to confuse someone with bad intentions. If you see no need for it, then there is no need for it.

Thanks, Gene. So the logic of this is that in a manual-shift bike you can leave it in gear to prevent rolling, but in a DCT you can't, and thus the parking brake?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just thinking out loud.. since the hand brake has a switch on it somewhere that tells the system the brake is deployed and the kickstand has one also, couldn't some smart guy like Max come up with a way of integrating the two so that when the brake is deployed the system thinks the kickstand is deployed and acts accordingly? Maybe the system being CANBUS makes that kind of thing not doable but might be worth looking into. Every once in a while I still forget about it and the result is that I usually have to readjust it since the next time I park on a downward slope and want to use it the darn thing won't hold.

Marc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts