GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there has been some discussion about the 6 April roll over date and how it may or may not affect various nav systems.

Does anyone know, authoritatively, if the latest firmware updates to the pre-2012 GL1800s will keep them accurate after the April roll over? I presume those newer bikes that may still be under warranty or extended warranty will be OK, or made to be OK.

As an aside, how about older Garmin units - Street Pilot 2720s, Zumo 550/660/665, etc.?

jdg

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sound like any gps device that depends on the date manufactured before 2010 maybe affected. Maybe this will give Garmin / Honda the incentive to update the 2006 2008 USA and the 2006 -2010 Ca. Goldwing gps to read files larger than 2gb. That would take care of the map size limit.
I know they can handle memory cards up to at least 32gb.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Looks like I'll get to explore new (to me) roads! :surprise:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm sorry, I do not have any info to give. I just heard about this for the first time in this thread.Is going to affect any GL produced after 2010? Did Honda make a patch for our systems? Again, I am sorry and I do not wish to hijack your thread

·
Registered
881 Posts
From what I have read gps units manufactured after 2010 should have had an updated firmware/software installed to account for the problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Garmin is not going to update or support the older units even you purchased lifetime maps. This may be because the older units do not have the storage to accept the new maps. Sucks I know if your old GPS is working fine. Maps will work for many years without an update just might miss a new road every now and then. I think Garmin will also give a credit for a trade in of the old unit toward a new model.

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
From everything I’ve read, gps devices that conform to IS-GPS-200 and provide UTC should be fine. You will know something is amiss if your gps resets the date to January 6, 1980 or some other incorrect date.

:doorag:

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
OK? I live deep in the sticks. Just what is the Aril 9 turnover????

prs

Reactions: BigBob1 and Big Tom

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
OK? I live deep in the sticks. Just what is the Aril 9 turnover????

prs
GPS week number uses 10 bit binary system and has reached its limit of 1024 weeks. That happened today, April 6th. A forced rollover will occur and the week number will be reset to 0.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Oh good. Something to look forward to....

·
Registered
881 Posts
Garmin is not going to update or support the older units even you purchased lifetime maps. This may be because the older units do not have the storage to accept the new maps. Sucks I know if your old GPS is working fine. Maps will work for many years without an update just might miss a new road every now and then. I think Garmin will also give a credit for a trade in of the old unit toward a new model.

How do you know this ? Do you have inside info ? Have you looked at the firmware ? The only place on the older systems where storage is an issue is the size of card you are using . The size of the file/mapset that the older systems can read is limited by the firmware not the hardware or card.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
But but but ..... Today is March the 6th. I remember when the Aztec calendar expired and all Creation ceased to exist. Maybe that will happen again.

Seriously, so what if it starts over? What does that have to do with Garmin NOT honoring map LIFETIME (the customer's life time, I presume) update guarantee. They will get sued big time!

prs

·
Registered
292 Posts
My Garmin wouldn't even allow me to do the last update. says there isn't room. I even have a card that is big enough.. but still couldn't update it. so much for lifetime maps??

·
Registered
584 Posts
Garmins definition of "Lifetime" is what they consider the useful lifetime of the unit, not the lifetime of the owner of the unit.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Garmin wouldn't even allow me to do the last update. says there isn't room. I even have a card that is big enough.. but still couldn't update it. so much for lifetime maps??
Not having enough room to store the map is not a big deal, depending on your GPS. I have a Zumo 665 which will not load the complete 49-state map. I have to use a different procedure to load the lower 48 onto the system so that it loads part of the map onto the internal SD card. My 660 automatically splits the map to the card.

Loading the current maps onto the Honda Nav system is a whole other issue and is covered in a thread in the FAQ.

I'm hoping this is pretty much of a Y2K kind of thing, but I don't know enough about the older GPS units to come to that conclusion. I'm pretty sure the GPS in my 2005 Acura will fail in what ever manner an obsolete GPS fails, but I have no real clue as to what that failure mode will be. If it's just the time and date, I can live with that by manually setting the time. If it's an offset or some other thing which effects the actual navigation, then that's another story all together.

jdg

·
Registered
881 Posts
jdgretz

Check with Acura if you have the problem mentioned here. Last year my wife's 2002 TL had the clock zeroing out problem. Acura customer care upgraded the firmware to fix the problem for free. When the car would not update Acura paid the local dealer to troubleshoot the problem and find the fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts