GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what kind of GPS is in the new Goldwing and"IF" it "Could" be upgraded if Honda wanted with features like route planning and downloading routes ect.ect.?

The reason I ask is that it just does not sound reasonable that a GPS company would make a GPS and NOT include features like that. There all in there by default... Honda just make it so you can't get to it?

Thanks,

Matt(Ashland,MA) :?:

·
Registered
707 Posts
The unit is made by Garmin. So it is quite obvious there are more features inside the unit than are actually exposed.

Honda gave Garmin requirements of what the unit must do and what it cannot do. Garmin has followed those requirements to the letter.

You can thank the Honda lawyers for not having more features available. It is very unlikely that there will be major improvements done to the system that the lawyers would agree to. It is not Garmins fault that features are missing. I'm sure there were lengthy discussions between Honda and Garmin about the feature set.

Reiner

J

·
0 Posts
Get over it guys, it's an automotive GPS, and a very good one at that. Automotive GPS units do not have all of the complex features found in aftermarket units. Automotive units are for absent minded geezers, some of which actually hate computers and the like. These units must be very simple for them, and me, even though I can make gadgets and computers do what they were intended to do. If you think you are a power user you will never be happy with the Honda unit so add an aftermarket unit to yours. With the Honda unit the up side is you don't have to worry about security and man no one has a beautiful display like this except for other built-in automotive units. But of course you can't spoil dinner or lunch with your SO by taking it into the restaurant and screwing with it and being a bore. So you will just have to play with your cell phone and tick off everybody instead. By the way don't look for any changes in the unit to compete with the aftermarket capabilities. You are definately correct about the lawyers. I do hope they will allow the "Unverified Road" notification that happens every 20 seconds to go away to once when you enter the road. Fat chance.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
JNILES, I agree that the buildt in nav systems is a great unit and power will not be happy with and should install a 2nd unit. But, I like also, think it will fit my need just fine.

I do wish you could remove the cf card and download routes from the pc and re-insert the card and the unit would read the new routes. I don't see where that would upset the lawyers, still couldn't use the buttons while moving, it would just read your trip routes.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Not to mention it is the most expensive gps available for bikes.

J

·
0 Posts
David M

It is right on the price point of most automotive in-dash, very large and bright screen units. I have seen some custom mounted units with displays in the rearview mirror for much more and they do not do anything more than this unit. High end, simple, geezer proof gadgets are high profit too, and probably should be. It is all most folks need but probably not what all want. The power user would not be satisfied if Honda gave us everything for which we asked. We would not like the way they did it and still go off and buy our aftermarket unit while griping about the price of the Honda unit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just recently experienced the unverified road problem for the first time - I got on the turnpike using a brand new toll plaza - the GPS locked up and you have to hit "Enter" to answer a message to clear the unit - problem is you have to stop the bike to clear it - that is ridiculous.

I don't mind ( I really do but what the heck - can't change it) when I forget to re-initalize it after stopping for gas - but that one really upset me. It's not that easy to pull off when the road is busy and cars are zoomimg by at 80.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
silverado said:
...problem is you have to stop the bike to clear it - that is ridiculous...
I've ridden with only one rider that had the integrated system. He reported to me that there seems to be three crowds in this GPS camp...a few that like it the way it is, a few that really wished they had never wasted their money on the dumb-downed thing, and most that don't pay much attention to it any more.

But the quote above, IMHO, seems to encourage the rider to take more of a risk by stopping to correct the problem...I'll agree, that does seem to be ridiculous!

J

·
0 Posts
silverado wrote:
I just recently experienced the unverified road problem for the first time - I got on the turnpike using a brand new toll plaza - the GPS locked up and you have to hit "Enter" to answer a message to clear the unit - problem is you have to stop the bike to clear it - that is ridiculous.
Something is wrong with yours! The "Unverified Road" message should not lock up the unit. It comes on every 20 seconds and stays for a shorter time (never timed it but think it is about 3 seconds) then goes away for 20 seconds and does it all over again. The message comes over audio and by text on screen. You have to turn off the Navi sound but you have to live with the text message flashing on and off until you get on a road it knows is there. It is a pain in the butt and Honda is the culprit, and if they don't change that they will probably get a suit at some point and I will be the first to line up. The frequency of the display is dangerous not to mention really stupid on someone's part!

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
jniles said:
silverado wrote:
Something is wrong with yours! The "Unverified Road" message should not lock up the unit. It comes on every 20 seconds and stays for a shorter time (never timed it but think it is about 3 seconds) then goes away for 20 seconds and does it all over again. The message comes over audio and by text on screen. You have to turn off the Navi sound but you have to live with the text message flashing on and off until you get on a road it knows is there. It is a pain in the butt and Honda is the culprit, and if they don't change that they will probably get a suit at some point and I will be the first to line up. The frequency of the display is dangerous not to mention really stupid on someone's part!
I am with you on this, what a pita!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts