GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few weeks I have been spending a considerable amount of time with the HD Ultra Classic. I rode the 07 at York, then a friend bought one, we rode to Biketoberfest together and now he is buying a second one due to an unfortuante accident.

Anyhow, the HD audio system blows away the Honda. Buit in XM, weather bands with alerts that cuts in like the CB. Sound quality is excellent, etc. But, the GPS in MY OPINION is lacking in function. It is only a trxt to speech version, no maps. The screen displays directions, next turn on the small radio screen and certainly has voice prompts. I believe the Honda unit is much more useful and effective than that.

But...non one can argue that Harley Davidson is more in tune to listening to their customers and conducting surveys and attempting to meet their customers' need better than any motorcycle manufacturer. In speaking with a few dealers, they indicated that HD has done just that with their GPS. They are meeting their customers needs. Honda is doing the same thing. There are plenty of HD owners who do actually ride their bikes rather than just go to the local bar. In fact most Ultras I see have high mileage and are RIDDEN. The softails may be another story.

SO the moral here. Honda and HD are meeting the needs of most of their customers by providing what they provide. Those that need more have other options thru the aftermarket and personally i think Honda did a great job with the Nav on the Wing.

When I replace the Wing next year I will be seriously looking at the Ultra as well as whatever Honda offers at the time. No BMW for me. I guarantee I will get the Nav on whichever bike I buy, but will also mount the 2610 for those times I need the extra functionality. But 95% of the time, the onboard Nav on either bike with do just fine.

Best,

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
i really don't see where the Harley weather band would b any better than Hondas, the Honda weather band works fine for me on the rare occasions when it gets used

XM radio, well i have it on my wing but do have to say its a little to expensive per month and probably wouldn't buy it again, but thats just me

GPS i would like to have one but WOW the prices are unreal, my next wing will probably have the outragously priced built in GPS

goodluck with whatever u choose next

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The dark side has been calling me recently. There's a real posibility of an Ultra in my future. Honda has certainly moved the price of the GL1800 in to an area where it's just as expensive or higher priced than the Ultra.

·
Registered
244 Posts
cyclemedman. You pot stirring metelhead. This would make a FINE subject in the Honda VS Harley section.
NO ! the Harley sound system cant come near the quality of the wing. I know that personally. Harley sells an upgrade for the stereo. If it were perfect they wouldnt sell an upgrade. Well...Harley has an upgrade for everything I think. What does that tell ya? Dont think Honda has one upgrade. How can you add to perfection ?
I've talked to a lot of people that switched to a Harley after owning a Wing. They every one said it was peer presure that made tham change. Not the ride. Then they go on to tell me what the Harley problems are and why there going back to a wing.
Come on over to the H vs H side and we will discuss this further.
Think hard before letting go of the wing. You will NEVER find a better group of people like the 1800 folks. And you will never find a bike like the Mighty Wing. :lol:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
cyclemed said:
Anyhow, the HD audio system blows away the Honda.
Are you comparing HD to the GL1800 premium audio starting in 2006 or the 2005 and before audio? Or both? The 2006 premium audio was a significant improvement from prior audio.

A agree with you about the rest - especially the NAV and having after market options if stock doesn't meet all needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Folks:
I recently traded a Ultra Classic 06 for a Gold Wing 06 and from my experience the stock stereo speaker system on the Wing is far and away better at any speed. The H.D. speakers after about 60m/h can not be heard clearly and soon becomes another noisy source of annoyance.

The GPS system for the H.D is actually the Garmin Quest 1, including the usual high priced H.D. markup. All that is specific and is provided with the H.D. GPS system is the dealerships locations. What I did was, purchase a Quest 2, and then of course had to buy seperately from H.D. the 2 piece mounting system for the Ultra Classic. This way with the Quest 2, I could access a larger memory system which allows the download other types of Garmin maps. This allowed the same GPS that I used on the H.D. to be used in either the car or the truck and/or use for work etc. The Quest 2 is a good GPS with lots of features that the Wing's built in system does not offer, portablility being a nice option, including using it as hand held GPS if so desired. The screen is just a bit small though, but other than that its a wonderful GPS.

As far a actually seeing and hearing the GPS system while riding, well the 06 Wing GPS with its big screen is more user friendly and functional, especially in heavy traffic in strange cities than was the Ultra Classic.

So as this is a forum for those of us that ride, I'd have give the higher mark to the Honda GPS than the Harley GPS from my experience. Just my 2 cents worth.

Play safe Kids------- Bob

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I agree on the Harley GPS, just a QUest 1.

I mounted a Garmin 2720 with a RAM MC mount and that works great, but I sold the HD and went back to a wing, 07 with Com/Nav setup. WIll trike it out with a CSC kit....Harley was a great "me" bike, but not a great "us" bike....but to each his own....

I may in the future get another two wheel bike and it may be a smaller HD or something else, but the trike stays....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I stand corrected on the audio. I was comparing my 01 audio, not the 06 Premium Audio. But, I am also talking about an 07 Ultra, not the 06. Engine, trans and electronic upgrades galore on the 07 HD. I would have never considered an 06.

But as far as the GPS, the 07 HD unit is not the Quest. It is now a module you can purchase for the radio just like the CB, XM, etc. The standard HD radio comes with AM/FM/WX/CD (plus I like the in dash CD set up rather than the changer in thetrunk). You then get the XM and CB modules (like our CB add on in the trunk) with the Ultra and the Nav is similar. So, I am not comparing ours to the Quest.

As for the ride, I have multiple bikes so the power/handling issue is not a pressing. If I want to ride agressively I will ride something else. All I was saying isthe FOR ME the Ultra is worth taking a look at now where it was not worth looking at before.

Fred, my personal opinion is that Honda will soon put XM built in and they will also add OnStar, traffic/weather, etc. It is already owned technology from the Acura RL and TL so it can easily be adapted to the Wing. They already partner with XM on the traffic, have XM in their autos and also contract with GM on OnStar so it only seems logical.

Best,

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
i have an XM radio added to the wing-stations are not that goog, fidelity stinks

when my year is up i may not renew

·
Registered
707 Posts
Fred H. said:
Word on the street is that Honda has some pretty significant changes planned for the GPS on the Wing in the coming years. Traffic and weather were a few options I heard talked about as well as others.
I'm sure they will. It most likely will include XM Radio at that point as well, as the service most likely will be provided through XM. The Hardware is already sitting on the shelf at Garmin. It's just a question on how Honda can integrate it with the existing Audio that was just updated. Doing another update know will be quite expensive for Honda.

The major problem Honda has right now is figuring out how they can restrict activation through their Honda dealer so that they can charge another $250-$500 (depending on XM Features wanted) from the customer and bill the $100+/month service fee directly.

Reiner

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Good new Fred, I hope the changes are retro to the owners that have the Nav system now....

Biggest thing Honda and Garmin could do for me is making some type of upgrade to the software to allow owners to take the CF card out of the unit and insert it into a CF reader and be able to download routes and way points ETC to the card and insert it back into the Nav unit and have the PC the Unit capabilities, like the 2720 and the like....

·
Registered
707 Posts
KYBLUE said:
Good new Fred, I hope the changes are retro to the owners that have the Nav system now....

Biggest thing Honda and Garmin could do for me is making some type of upgrade to the software to allow owners to take the CF card out of the unit and insert it into a CF reader and be able to download routes and way points ETC to the card and insert it back into the Nav unit and have the PC the Unit capabilities, like the 2720 and the like....
That upgrade with the CF card would be a step towards the right direction.

For the other upgrades I doubt they can retrofit XM to existing bikes. It's like retrofitting the new Radio unit to bikes made before the 2006 model. Possible, but not worth the expense.

Reiner

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
XM wouldn't be high on my list, too many small xm radio for sell cheep plus I don't want to pay for radio and small mp3 players supplement the radio just fine.

Being able to download routes and way points, PIO's would be great...

Even using the controls while moving is not that big a deal IF I could have already downloaded routes and preplanned my routes....

·
Registered
86 Posts
KYBLUE said:
XM wouldn't be high on my list, too many small xm radio for sell cheep plus I don't want to pay for radio and small mp3 players supplement the radio just fine.

Even using the controls while moving is not that big a deal IF I could have already downloaded routes and preplanned my routes....
I agree - the only control I would like to use is just the abiity to turn it on. Blame it on age but several times I have stopped and forgot to hit the Enter button before restarting and it is dangerous to have to pull off the Interstate just to turn on the GPS.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
silverado said:
KYBLUE said:

I agree - the only control I would like to use is just the abiity to turn it on. Blame it on age but several times I have stopped and forgot to hit the Enter button before restarting and it is dangerous to have to pull off the Interstate just to turn on the GPS.
I forgot about that, you're right, that is a big pain in the butt. I wish if you selected the GPS and stopped for some reason and restarted the GPS would go back to the last set up.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts