GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of Honda Heated grips for my 04 goldwing. The included instructions said to use Honda Bond A to install the grips. My local Honda dealer has never heard of Honda bond A and they could not find it in any of their reference material. Has anyone installed these type of grips and what type of adheasive did you use?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Did you ask the dealer what they use?

FWIW . . . I've considered buying the heated grips and thought I'd let the dealer install them for the warranty. It's my understanding, and please, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that the grips are covered by the life of your motorcycle warranty, including extended warranty, if the grip fails after dealer installation.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
I don't have the Honda heated grips,mine are Kimpex which are very similar to the $30 dual star grip heaters hanhttp://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride ... 1.htmdgrip I used Honda handgrip cement, cost $3 from my local dealer,comes in a 1 oz tube. I have installed 2 sets of hand grips with this tube of adhesive and believe there is plenty left to do another install. As far as the warranty,read what came with the grips,I would think it would be the same as with the CB radio which is 3 years from date of purchase,in my case the CB that I had installed myself failed and Honda paid a dealer to replace the radio under warranty.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
one more thing you need to know, the right handgrip inside diameter is slightly larger than the left so don't get them switched around or they may not fit properly. Goodluck with the installation. :D

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Had the same problem, and two dealers had no idea. Used Honda standard $3 grip adhesive. Works fine, just like others have told me. PS. does clean up and cut with rubbing alcohol like the instructions say.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,769 Posts
When I installed my Honda heated grips all the Honda dealer I went to never heard of Honda Bond A grip cement. It's a misprint. I used Permatex Ultra Black that is rated up to 600 degrees. It's available at any Pep Boys or Auto store.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have good luck with a spiral wrap of 1" masking tape around the bar with the edges 1/4" apart. Then spay the wrapped bar with hair spay (the cheaper, the better). gives you good lubrication for plenty long enough to get everything lined up right, then sets up well in a few hours. Usable in 1 hour, but don't torque it too much until later.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heated Grips

Thanks,
I installed the grips and they seem to be working fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
When I installed my Honda heated grips I used hairspray (either unscented or fresh floral, I can't remember). The grips haven't slipped in a year of use, and in the unlikely event I wanted to remove them, I wouldn't have to chisel them off.

Gordon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts