GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved a set of Honda heated grips for Christmas. Looking at the instructions that came with them it looks like a complicated install if anyone has any suggestions I would appreiate it. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been there and done that. I had the dealer do the install, he charged me 1 hour of labor at 40.00. Another advantage of the dealer installation is that the in stead of a 90 day warranty you will have either the 90 days or what ever warranty is left on the bike if the dealer installs them. I'm glad I went that route, I had them installed last December and I discovered in October that the switch had gone bad, the dealer replaced the "complete" set at no charge and the good news is these have the remaining 2 years of my bikes warranty to cover them!

David

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I paid the dealer a few bucks & had him do both the bike & trike. They work very well. We have foam covers on top of grips & they still heat our hands very well.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
How handy are you? Installed mine, biggest problem was the adhesive to use. The glue the instructions list is unknown by HONDA dealers. Just buy the standard $4 honda grip adhesive glue. The old glue cuts like butter with rubbing alcohol. The hard part is just starting. When cutting the big hole in the control panel, hold in your hand with a towel, then hand turn a wood paddle drill. The plastic is so soft to cut. Files real easy for fine adjustment. Did not remove the right throttle assembly, it can be done on the bike, just be careful not to push the glue up to far. But if my dealer only charge $40 bucks, I would have considered it. Then I would not have learned so much more about the bikes CHARACTOR! Took me a good two hours, but pride has no value.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If you choose to do it yourself you may want to take a Q-tip and smeaar some thick wheel bearing grease around both ends of the throttle to keep the glue from getting in. The hardest part for me was getting the old grips off.

I

·
0 Posts
Did mine myself, eeeeasy. old grips come off easy if you pull or push if you like, from the inboard end and not try to pull them off as that only tightens there grip. Hardest part was getting to the power connector, it was way up behind the speaker and a right b--%^"* to get at. I used a spray adhesive I had lying around, the type you buy for fitting insulation under your car bonnet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You are really going to like them

My dealer put mine on (free install on anything I bought with the bike) so I can't help with the install. BUT YOU ARE REALLY GOING TO LIKE THEM. THEY WORK GREAT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts