GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably the ultimate in rhetorical questions, but are there any tricks to locate screws dropped into the Honda black hole? I dropped one straight down into the hole yesterday when finishing up my riser installation. So far, attempts to hook it with my extension magnet have been fruitless. New screws already on order, but I sure would like to fish this one out. Is there any access point at the bottom of the hole? Bike is a 2012. Thanks! :cry:

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
This is probably the ultimate in rhetorical questions, but are there any tricks to locate screws dropped into the Honda black hole? I dropped one straight down into the hole yesterday when finishing up my riser installation. So far, attempts to hook it with my extension magnet have been fruitless. New screws already on order, but I sure would like to fish this one out. Is there any access point at the bottom of the hole? Bike is a 2012. Thanks! :cry:
JIM take the inside black piece of the lower part of the fairing that's usely where they go.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Turn the GW upside down and shake vigorously? :joke:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
There is a little plastic shelf just below the turn signal cancel device bracket that sometimes captures such black hole objects. If its on top of the engine, you may wish to wait until the next air box exposure to investigate.

prs

·
Registered
144 Posts
I lost one of the rubber grommets into the abyss during my first windshield change. Chalked it up to never seeing it again.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This reminds me of one of the first times I was working on my Wing/Roadsmith.

I had always heard stories about the "Black Hole" on the GoldWings. I had a small screw driver in hand and was working towards the rear of the trike. It slipped out of my hand, down into the bowels of the trike. I had just assumed that if would fall through. I looked under the trike,,, no screw driver! I began looking into every opening and crevasse I could see, even using one of my high intensity LED flash lights. Still no screw driver! Now,,, if this was a simple nut, washer or bolt, I might have just checked it off to the mystery of the infamous 'Honda Black Hole'. But this was a damn Screw Driver!!! I just couldn't let that slide fearing it would free itself while riding and possibly puncture a tire or some other damage. Now the search consumed me! After a few more hours going over all visible areas from above an beneath, I started feeling in places with my hand that couldn't be seen. Wouldn't you know it? After a few minutes, I felt the screw driver placed perfectly in the recess of the left supporting frame as if it was purposely placed there by some unseen entity. That proved to me that these Wings really do have gremlins who if given that chance, will hide what ever comes into their realm!!! LOL :lol:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Was working on a friend's 1500 Wing when I went to turn it around to make it easy for him to just ride off. He had the habit of leaving the ignition key in the indentation of the key hole. When I went to put it back on its side stand, the key slipped off its perch and down the black hole it went.

Try as I might, I couldn't locate his ignition key. Lucky for us he had a spare one handy and off he went.

Many months went by and while working again on his bike I noticed the key peaking out on the right side by the radiator exhaust ports, as if to say: "hey you, been looking for me?"

Fricken black hole!

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
JIM take the inside black piece of the lower part of the fairing that's usely where they go.
Wimpy is, as always, right. I had lost a couple of small items the same way. One day I had to remove the entire front fairing and when I took the small black inner Cowl or inner fairing off, there they were. It can come out by itself I believe. It is the black piece just above the cylinder head on the inside of the fairing near the cowl.

Give it a shot, you,might be surprised.

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts