GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking over the Honda Hoot site and have decided to go this year. I have not been to the Hoot since it was moved from Asheville to Knoxville. I said that I would not go back once it was moved, but I suppose everything is subject to change, even me. :roll: :roll: Anyway, looking over the list of hotels etc. for some of you regular attendees, Is it better to say at one of the downtown hotels?? Looking at the Days Inn East looks like it is pretty reasonable and only 3 miles fro Chilhowee Park.

Anyone have any imput?? :?: :?:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ol Pirate, a few of us are staying at the Merchant Rd Motel 6 seems pretty nice. good luck Joy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would stay on the east side of town, that way you will miss a lot of the traffic and construction. There's a number of motels at the Strawberry Plains Pike exit and that way you would be closer to Gatlinburg for a short dinner run. We haven't been in a couple of years but the last time we went it was great. The rides in eastern TN and NC are awesome.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pirate:

I stayed there last year, I'm staying there this year as well. I think they are are booked up by now, they only had 10 rooms Left when I booked mine over a month and a half ago.

-David in NC

PS: Have you seen my brother in-law Wayne Lester lately there Greenwood?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
hoot motels......

We are staying at the super 8 motel on merchants road off exit 108 off I-75 south. We stay there because you get a free membership to a health club up the street with a nice hot tub etc.
:biker:
JD

·
Registered
322 Posts
hotel @ the hoot

Try the Days Inn At the airport I book it $42 per And they listed as a 5 star motel plus it on the way to deals gap will be their fom tues day to sat. Will leave for home from the Breafast meeting. 8)

Ps so if you see a yellow wing with N.Y. plates come by and say HI

·
Registered
285 Posts
You may find the "5 Star" rating a bit over-stated, Justin. We stayed there last April and it was just your usual Days Inn as far as I could tell, except that the rear units are used by extended-stay residents, and that does tend to add a certain "well lived in" atmosphere to the place, if you know what I mean. We picked it becasue we wanted to be within walking distance of a Shoney's, but the location (being near an airport) leaves a lot to be desired in terms of ambience, as you can imagine. (Major multi-lane highway with continuous heavy traffic roaring by out front, commercial jets roaring overhead, no appealing areas for walking, and in fact not even a sidewalk between the motel and the nearest restaurant)

What I do remember was that when I mentioned I was coming back in June to attend the Hoot, the manager strongly advised me to avoid staying in or walking the streets of Knoxville, saying it was crime-ridden and very dangerous. Could have been just a negative sales pitch to encourage people to patronize her motel, but I got the impression she really believed it and that her view reflects that of people who don't actually live in a place but get an overly negative opinion of it from the scary news coverage they see every evening on the tube.

Still, as run-of-the-mill chain motels go, it was okay. And the rooms have big wide windows through which you can admire your bike parked right outside by your door. (Unfortunatley those windows do not open to allow any real air to come in, so you have to contend with nothing but the AC, which in most motels can make for an uncomfortably dry atmosphere and not the best night's sleep.)

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but it's a slow morning here.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Days inn

Its ok at that price it leaves more $ for goodies called days inn downtown they had one room left and it was 99$ a night the noise is no proble was a airdale in the navy and live near two airports in N.Y. but thanks for the review

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
The first year that the Hoot was in Knoxville, I stayed in a Days Inn that was downtown, on the edge of the UT campus. It had a parking garage that was underneath the building, but that was the only nice thing about the place. The lobby was nice, but that is where it ended. The rooms were old and in major need of renovation. The A/C unit in our room was loud enough to wake the dead.

Every year since, we've stayed at an Extended Stay America out towards the west side of town. It is $229 for a week (that's a little over $30 a night). The rooms are suites, with a recliner and a kitchen. They have laundry facilities on site.

Some may say that getting to Chilhowee from the west side of town is a pain in the a_s. The key is not to get on the interstate during the morning or evening "rush" drive time. There are surface streets that we've used without problem when the traffic on the interstate gets bad.

We've discovered that there's much more to the Hoot than what goes on at Chilhowee, and usually only go to the park maybe three times during the entire event. The manufacturers for the demo rides have significantly decreased this year (no Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki), so we probably won't participate in that this year.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The Hoot

Hi all,

Don't mean to rub salt in a wound but you've no clue how thankful I am the daughter lives in Marysville... free accomodations, etc... For all I know, the wife and I might be moving there this summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts