GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Honda is targeting sales of 100% zero emission electrified vehicles in North America by 2040"

So, will motorcycles go to a hydrogen fuel cell configuration instead of batteries?

Is the current Goldwing the final internal-combustion Goldwing?

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
Yes ... how cool is that. It's why the pipeline never made sense. America was pulled out of all the cleaner air agreements, we are now playing catchup to the rest of the world, and no longer the leader in clean air technology. However, much of the rest of the world continued on. For example, Euro6 emissions says no petroleum car sales over there as of 2030. Currently in China, there are no gas scooters allowed in any major city, and apparently it's been that way for a couple of years. They are all battery powered. Something like that has happen in Japan, but I cannot recap what it is. As of about 2 months ago, California is no longer issuing new gas station permits. Finally, the internal combustion engine is becoming a thing of the past

Eventually, I'll be able to sit out on my back patio, and not have to listen to loud exhaust systems going by. How cool will it be to not only have cleaner air, but less noise pollution too. I wonder what that will be like. I still remember how smoggy LA used to get.

·
Registered
818 Posts
"Honda is targeting sales of 100% zero emission electrified vehicles in North America by 2040"

So, will motorcycles go to a hydrogen fuel cell configuration instead of batteries?

Is the current Goldwing the final internal-combustion Goldwing?
Don’t think I’m gonna have to worry about this. 😵

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I wonder about the manufacturing of all the electricity needed to power all of those vehicles. Hopefully, some will be self manufacturing. I did look heavily into solar for my home. At my age, 68, it makes no sense to invest in to solar. The investment won't pay off for another 20 years, and in the meantime, I will be paying much more for my electricity. The technology will need to improve lots for the majority of us to go renewable, of course, many of us won't be around by the year 2040.......

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm betting that electricity will be very expensive within the next 5 years. Fossil fuel will be forced into a very expensive in an effort to force us over to EVs and solar panels sooner than we think. Prices will be through the roof and many will have to make that choice between meals and power. The government is more serious about this move than most people believe or want to think about.
I got my panels installed just a couple weeks ago and my Tesla truck is on order. Either face up to reality or be left paying exorbitant prices for this stuff. It's coming.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The huge obstacle that is presented with solar and wind energy is the efficiency of these sources of energy, there currently at 35% for solar and 40% for wind. Once they get the efficiency to at least 60% then they will become a good source of electricity. Another draw back is the toxic materials used it the construction of solar panels, then comes how to dispose of these solar panels once they have outlived their usage. The question is, are we creating another problem for future generations to clean up just to appease some people today? This, to me, is a huge issue, are we going to clean up the air just to pollute the land even more.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It makes zero sense mathematically, which is why our government will mandate it. I suggest investing in renewable energy heavily.

Reactions: Road Ranger 161

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
I wonder about the manufacturing of all the electricity needed to power all of those vehicles. Hopefully, some will be self manufacturing. I did look heavily into solar for my home. At my age, 68, it makes no sense to invest in to solar. The investment won't pay off for another 20 years, and in the meantime, I will be paying much more for my electricity. The technology will need to improve lots for the majority of us to go renewable, of course, many of us won't be around by the year 2040.......
In Florida, can you believe we had to vote solar energy in ??? Until 2016 it was against the law to have solar panels on a house.

·
15 year Member
6,943 Posts
I am sure in the near future homes being built will require by law a charging station and a bidet ....

don’t laugh do you realize how much toilet is “wasted” every day?..

mattbcnv

Reactions: greyhound

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Thank God I got to live during some of the most fantastic times in motorcycling history.......
The internal combustion engine in a motorcycle, 40+ years of excitement and bliss.....and a Flat-6 engine!
An electric driven scoot will never provide the same enjoyment, relaxation or pure fun IMHO.

When it becomes mandatory for electric motorcycles I will probably be too old to ride, and if not I'll hang up my helmet and get to say I had a great and very enjoyable riding career.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes ... how cool is that. It's why the pipeline never made sense. America was pulled out of all the cleaner air agreements, we are now playing catchup to the rest of the world, and no longer the leader in clean air technology. However, much of the rest of the world continued on. For example, Euro6 emissions says no petroleum car sales over there as of 2030. Currently in China, there are no gas scooters allowed in any major city, and apparently it's been that way for a couple of years. They are all battery powered. Something like that has happen in Japan, but I cannot recap what it is. As of about 2 months ago, California is no longer issuing new gas station permits. Finally, the internal combustion engine is becoming a thing of the past

Eventually, I'll be able to sit out on my back patio, and not have to listen to loud exhaust systems going by. How cool will it be to not only have cleaner air, but less noise pollution too. I wonder what that will be like. I still remember how smoggy LA used to get.

View attachment 382625
Man oh man what flavor coolaid is your favorite?

·
15 year Member
6,943 Posts
Don’t forget the horse drawn school bus you used to ride to school in!!!

LOL

mattbcnv

Reactions: Hoopdc and Clamper

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Red Barchetta - Rush

My uncle has a country place, that no-one knows about
He says it used to be a farm, before the Motor Law
Sundays I elude the ‘Eyes’, and hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire, where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine –
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime…

Wind in my hair –
Shifting and drifting –
Mechanical music
Adrenalin surge –

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me, across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires, to run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley as another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I’ve got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded
At the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle
At the fireside…

·
Registered
232 Posts
These are some lofty goals by manufacturers and governments I have no idea if these will be met but it would not surprise me to see these time lines pushed back. What I do know is that everyday I make fuels and chemicals from corn syrup and scaling up to commercialization is looking very good.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Progress is inevitable. In a hundred years from now the only internal combustion engines you might see will be in a museum. We once got around on horse and buggy and now, if you saw one of them on the road you would be surprised and possibly even annoyed especially if you ran through horse manure. It's pointless to resist as the rest of the world will continue moving forward regardless of what you want. It's best to embrace it and look to the new possibilities it provides.

For now, I'll continue to ride and enjoy my IC motorcycle but 20-30 years from now when I'm in my 70's and 80's I might be enjoying a very different motorcycle and that's okay. As long as it gives me that same feeling of freedom I'll be riding whatever is out there until the day comes that I am no longer physically able to.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts