GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

201 - 220 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't think anyone is putting down EV's, it's just the push to go electric with no infrastructure in place to support them on a nationwide scale. It's like building gas powered vehicles and having a couple of gas stations nationwide. Until they come up with an infrastructure that really works there will be many people that opt out on the EV's.
according to this article, this is exactly what has happened. early adopters to a significant degree have abandoned EVs at least for now.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
according to this article, this is exactly what has happened. early adopters to a significant degree have abandoned EVs at least for now.

A little misleading if you dig into it. This was mostly little ugly slow electric/gas powered vehicles. Here is a quote "Only 11 percent of Tesla owners switched back to gas, whereas 36.9 percent Fiat 500e owners did so." It also said that those that did was because they had no place to charge (meaning they lived in an apartment complex). You could also say that 90% of Tesla owners never go back to gas. I do believe that Tesla Supercharger network contributes to that. For those that can not plug in at home, I would not recommend an electric... not even a Tesla. I can tell you my experience that I will most likely never buy another gas vehicle unless the vehicle I want is not offered in electric. I have nothing against gas but our electric is superior in every way. My 14 year old F150 is starting to get a little long in the tooth. I use it as transportation and to occasionally haul a scoop or two of mulch...Cybertruck is next!

·
Registered
188 Posts
My first thought was that I'm gonna stick playing cards in my spokes to get some "old school" sound. But maybe they will just do what some of the newer cars are doing and pipe"fake" engine noises thru the speakers. I about died laughing when I heard about this.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
If there is no recycling capability currently, yet the government is pushing hard to move to electric cars, that smells like an investment opportunity.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Went to Lowes last night for some supplies......
Walking up to the store a Tesla backing out of his spot and didn't see me, I couldn't hear a damn thing as they are so quiet.
If I wouldn't of stopped dead in my tracks he'd of ran over me.....within inches of running over my feet.

Where's the safety on this vehicle? Thought they'd detect people or cars?

Shocked the asian driver as well as myself......they need backup ALARMS OR SOMETHING.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a good friend that just bought one. He had always been a Beamer person in his older age. Said it takes getting used too and took a while to remember to plug it in when got in garage. Think running out of needed juice couple of times helped prompt his memory! He did say was his favorite over all vehicles to date. Hard to imagine with some of the muscle cars I remember him having in our youthful days. Maybe memory going a little!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Went to Lowes last night for some supplies......
Walking up to the store a Tesla backing out of his spot and didn't see me, I couldn't hear a damn thing as they are so quiet.
If I wouldn't of stopped dead in my tracks he'd of ran over me.....within inches of running over my feet.

Where's the safety on this vehicle? Thought they'd detect people or cars?

Shocked the asian driver as well as myself......they need backup ALARMS OR SOMETHING.
All Tesla vehicles have a backup alarm. (I think all electric vehicles are required by law to have this.) I am not sure if this has always been the case but I know it has been since at least 2019. Our Tesla is not that quiet normally. If you have the AC/Heat off it is but most of the time the electric ac compressor and fans are running. You can hear those easily. There are also backup sensors that should have been screaming at the guy unless he turned them off.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
All Tesla vehicles have a backup alarm. (I think all electric vehicles are required by law to have this.) I am not sure if this has always been the case but I know it has been since at least 2019. Our Tesla is not that quiet normally. If you have the AC/Heat off it is but most of the time the electric ac compressor and fans are running. You can hear those easily. There are also backup sensors that should have been screaming at the guy unless he turned them off.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
I heard nothing.....and the driver was equally shocked, I saw him mouth "sorry".
Not sure which model it was but it was definitely a Tesla.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
The attack could have been carried out against the electric power grid. It is my understanding the electrical grid is an easier target.
I dont know enough about our grid to comment but that was my point, they can both be "out." Being in Florida I have seen gas hoarding numerous times with it sometimes being weeks before fuel was available. I am not sure how you can hoard power plus I've never been without power for more than a day.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
My first thought was that I'm gonna stick playing cards in my spokes to get some "old school" sound. But maybe they will just do what some of the newer cars are doing and pipe"fake" engine noises thru the speakers. I about died laughing when I heard about this.
It is actually a safety issue. There have been situations where electric cars were not heard and people step in front of them all the time. Actually this safety problem has occurred thought history.
Monty Python-Coconuts - YouTube

·
Registered
188 Posts
I heard nothing.....and the driver was equally shocked, I saw him mouth "sorry".
Not sure which model it was but it was definitely a Tesla.
I too have almost been contacted bodily by a Tesla backing up! I was a bit appalled by the lack of either camera usage by the driver and/or the lack of a backup signal. Yes, as a pedestrian it is my job to watch where i was going but at the angle and sunlight I could not see the white lights.

·
Vendor
18,992 Posts
No worries for me!
Have you ever gone to one of those charging stations ??? If so, how long does it take to charge and empty battery, and what is the cost ???

·
Registered
369 Posts
Have you ever gone to one of those charging stations ??? If so, how long does it take to charge and empty battery, and what is the cost ???
Greg, you may find this link interesting. notice there are different rates of charge. Tesla has proprietary charging connection and high rate of charge, but other vehicles may not be able to quick charge.
I've never heard of anyone having to wait for a charge but it would kind of stink if you've run down your vehicle and then have to wait to get your turn at the connection.

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I’ve been to many. You pull into the supercharger, plug in, go pee and maybe get a drink. When you are done so is the car. It takes us 20 to 30 minutes to charge up enough to go 4 hours of interstate driving. Repeat until you arrive. It truly has been no problem. We have been to Delaware, West Virginia, Alabama, Washington DC and we have never had a problem with range anxiety. A supercharger is about 25 cent per kWh, my home is about 10 cent per kWh so a road trip costs 2 1/2 times the rate of charging at home but even using the supercharger it is only about $10 to $12 to charge for 4 hours driving (220 miles)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
The 2022 F-150 Lightening is about here. Pretty cool stuff. I like the part where it has the ability to export power. It can power your house during a power outage. It can charge during off peak times and export to the grid during peak times to save you money.

Price also seems a bit more reasonable and competitive.

201 - 220 of 275 Posts