GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
I’ve been to many. You pull into the supercharger, plug in, go pee and maybe get a drink. When you are done so is the car. It takes us 20 to 30 minutes to charge up enough to go 4 hours of interstate driving. Repeat until you arrive. It truly has been no problem. We have been to Delaware, West Virginia, Alabama, Washington DC and we have never had a problem with range anxiety. A supercharger is about 25 cent per kWh, my home is about 10 cent per kWh so a road trip costs 2 1/2 times the rate of charging at home but even using the supercharger it is only about $10 to $12 to charge for 4 hours driving (220 miles)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What kind of battery life does you car have, and what happens when the battery life is used up ??? Any idea what the associated costs are to deal with that ???

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
What kind of battery life does you car have, and what happens when the battery life is used up ??? Any idea what the associated costs are to deal with that ???
It's a 8 year 120k mile warranty. I suppose I'd trade the car in but Tesla is starting a recycling company. They say it is cheaper to recycle than to mine. At 35k miles my battery has went from 303 miles range to 293.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
News about the mothership plans ....

great info. I like the idea of a standard across powersports brands and sure hope they commit to that for the long term. Swappable batteries sounds great if this is regulated.

Currently, with non-vehicle batteries it's easy to get ripped off with battery manufacturers making claims that don't hold up. I've been into rechargeable batteries for over ten years and there are many that are poor quality or low capacity despite labeling claims. I'd hate to trade my Honda branded battery pack (at a charging station) for a no name battery that gave me half the range. I'm sure some will want to strap a back up battery to their EV bike but that will add significant weight that is likely to just shorten the range. I'm ready for those Star Trek era dilithium crystals that powered the Enterprise.

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
Ford's new all electric F150 just got 45,000 pre orders. It showed it pulling a train load of F150s on the news.

This morning in front of an ATT wireless store was an Toyota Camry Hybrid with corporate ATT stickers on it :) How cool is that ... corporate America is buying in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I see an opportunity for energy rich states, like my home state of North Dakota, to really cash in selling our coal, wind and natural gas powered electricity to the cities who insist on electric vehicles. We will, at last, rule the world!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I understand the push to bring more electrics on-line, but I don't understand the push to completely eliminate ICEs. There will still be people who will prefer ICEs over electrics for decades. People are not going to convert overnight...there's no reason both can't be made...

·
Vendor
19,013 Posts
Ford's new all electric F150 just got 45,000 pre orders. It showed it pulling a train load of F150s on the news.

This morning in front of an ATT wireless store was an Toyota Camry Hybrid with corporate ATT stickers on it :) How cool is that ... corporate America is buying in.
I meant to add this. If your house has a power outage, Ford boasts that their F150 can power your home for up to 3 days:)

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I don't know if its true or not. Local battery shop says you can no longer buy a brand new battery.(standard type with cells/acid) They are all recycled builds due to EPA regulations. That's why most require you trade in your old one.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I can see all electric cars/trucks where it is warm, and I guess cold climates like mine for those that don’t travel too much. It may help the environment long term. But there must be a considerable amount of down time traveling cross country in an all electric car that needs time to recharge. If those charging stations are placed at tourist attractions it might draw some of them in. Hotels too! But, and I’m trying to think, who else would be out there? Business people? Shouldn’t be anymore, what with zoom and all. Big trucks should end up being the major road user, because of the need for delivery. Even if it’s ordered online, it still needs to arrive. Now to go all electric for the big trucks might be good. No more runaway’s in the mountains, they might still be slow up a grade, but we are used to that. I live where I hear a lot of loud exhaust and tire whine. The electrics would quiet down the environment after a while. And if the local law enforcement got the noisy ones to comply, it would be more peaceful. I know, I’m old, and want it quiet. Dang kids and their loud pipes!!😬

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Electric vehicles aren't any better for the environment, they just change where the pollution is coming from. The big push for EVs is more of a political move than anything...
It’s no accident all the states in the southwest have been securing high voltage electric transmission line corridors going down to Mexico where the future mega electric plants are being built. It’s been planned for decades.

The US is no better than California with the not in my backyard mentality.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
It’s no accident all the states in the southwest have been securing high voltage electric transmission line corridors going down to Mexico where the future mega electric plants are being built. It’s been planned for decades.

Ever seen those huge wind turbines. Their setback is 1,500ft from homes. In my area, its becoming very very close to a Hatfield/McCoy battle between neighbors.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Electric vehicles aren't any better for the environment, they just change where the pollution is coming from. The big push for EVs is more of a political move than anything...
I agree to a point, the source producing the energy to power the EVs is what determines if they will be better for the environment or not. It is believed that the emissions from a few power stations can be better controlled than that from millions of tailpipes. To your other point, let's face the fact that ALL decisions that guide energy policy is politically motivated, regardless of what that source is. Always have been. We are using gasoline today because of decisions made over a hundred years ago that it was the best most substainabe fuel source to power automobiles. It to was an environmental decision as many large cities were beginning to be overwhelmed with animal waste. To me a more important questions are is it achievable, and does it take us to a better place.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I agree to a point, the source producing the energy to power the EVs is what determines if they will be better for the environment or not. It is believed that the emissions from a few power stations can be better controlled than that from millions of tailpipes. To your other point, let's face the fact that ALL decisions that guide energy policy is politically motivated, regardless of what that source is. Always have been. We are using gasoline today because of decisions made over a hundred years ago that it was the best most substainabe fuel source to power automobiles. It to was an environmental decision as many large cities were beginning to be overwhelmed with animal waste. To me a more important questions are is it achievable, and does it take us to a better place.
Where exactly is that "better place?" In an ideal world we wouldn't be using rubber tires (where does all that rubber go as the tires wear down?) or asphalt paved roads (where does all that asphalt go as the road surface gets scrubbed down?) or travelling around for pleasure hence wasting our precious energy resources. Nor would be living in single family homes, another grossly inefficient, wasteful use of energy resources. Some in position of great influence believe there are way too many people on this place we call "Earth" - people use up precious energy resources and they pollute. Undoubtedly many things could be changed to bring us to a "better place," but is that a place where you and I would really want to live? And what good will that do us here when few other countries actively pursue these same lofty "better place" goals?

Reactions: WVMANDINGO

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Where exactly is that "better place?" In an ideal world we wouldn't be using rubber tires (where does all that rubber go as the tires wear down?) or asphalt paved roads (where does all that asphalt go as the road surface gets scrubbed down?) or travelling around for pleasure hence wasting our precious energy resources. Nor would be living in single family homes, another grossly inefficient, wasteful use of energy resources. Some in position of great influence believe there are way too many people on this place we call "Earth" - people use up precious energy resources and they pollute. Undoubtedly many things could be changed to bring us to a "better place," but is that a place where you and I would really want to live? And what good will that do us here when few other countries actively pursue these same lofty "better place" goals?
Who knows what future generations will have to do to sustain itself. With population growth, and the modernization of the world's two most populous countries, I just think that it is a little naive to believe that renewables and alternatives wont be part of the mix. We can be a leader or we can be at the mercy of those that do forge ahead with innovation. There are already several several countries, including China that has a higher percentage of their automobile sales as EVs than the U.S. I don't believe we will be in a perfect place, but we should always strive to be in a better place. How many people are complaining that their car gets 30 MPG now instead of 12 because of cafe standards? Who is complaining because they have better, longer lasting lighting that cost less to operate, because of energy policy that phased out incandescent bulb? Who's cars stopped running because the fuel it uses is now 10% renewable? My guess is nobody. We absorbed the innovations and moved on, all while extending a finite energy supply.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ever seen those huge wind turbines. Their setback is 1,500ft from homes. In my area, its becoming very very close to a Hatfield/McCoy battle between neighbors.
Agree. I often travel through and hunt in eastern Colorado and west and n/w Texas where there are endless, and I mean ENDLESS, windmill farms. In my opinion, it has destroyed the natural beauty of the area, no differently than would, say, large apartment complexes, shopping centers, etc. When out hunting, you constantly hear the CHOP CHOP CHOP from the windmills which are a mile or more away. From one blind I was sitting in, which was down in a canyon with limited range of view, I counted 20 windmills within my range of sight, and I was down in a low spot. I don't prefer a world covered in windmills and solar farms.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don’t compare most states to the idiocy of
Who knows what future generations will have to do to sustain itself. With population growth, and the modernization of the world's two most populous countries, I just think that it is a little naive to believe that renewables and alternatives wont be part of the mix. We can be a leader or we can be at the mercy of those that do forge ahead with innovation. There are already several several countries, including China that has a higher percentage of their automobile sales as EVs than the U.S. I don't believe we will be in a perfect tal saviorplace, but we should always strive to be in a better place. How many people are complaining that their car gets 30 MPG now instead of 12 because of cafe standards? Who is complaining because they have better, longer lasting lighting that cost less to operate, because of energy policy that phased out incandescent bulb? Who's cars stopped running because the fuel it uses is now 10% renewable? My guess is nobody. We absorbed the innovations and moved on, all while extending a finite energy supply.
My current car gets 20 mpg, just like my 67 Chevy Impala did a long time ago on 75 cent gas. We only get 30 mpg now because our cars are half of what they were 50 years ago. My electric and gasoline bills have only gone higher and higher with every new "innovation". I'm a farmer who only supports the ethanol hoax because it's good for my bottom line but I have no misconceptions that ethanol is some sort of environmental savior. The current president's big government plan to "save" huge swaths of productive American farm land (which doesn't need to be saved by bureaucrats), stifle American coal, oil and natural gas production, and electrify our transportation system (with no workable alternatives available), will devastate rural America, completely shred our national economy and allow other countries to take our place as the world leader. These aren't plans or innovations, they are government takeovers and with every such "good intention", there is an equal and opposite price to be paid.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Don’t compare most states to the idiocy of

My current car gets 20 mpg, just like my 67 Chevy Impala did a long time ago on 75 cent gas. We only get 30 mpg now because our cars are half of what they were 50 years ago. My electric and gasoline bills have only gone higher and higher with every new "innovation". I'm a farmer who only supports the ethanol hoax because it's good for my bottom line but I have no misconceptions that ethanol is some sort of environmental savior. The current president's big government plan to "save" huge swaths of productive American farm land (which doesn't need to be saved by bureaucrats), stifle American coal, oil and natural gas production, and electrify our transportation system (with no workable alternatives available), will devastate rural America, completely shred our national economy and allow other countries to take our place as the world leader. These aren't plans or innovations, they are government takeovers and with every such "good intention", there is an equal and opposite price to be paid.
I really cant address your comments for obvious reasons. My point was that these are arguments that have been made before. The reality has not been what was hyped by hysteria. At current rate of consumption, proven oil reserves was 47 years as of 2016. Out of those proven reserves, the United states was not in the top 10. Who believes that China or India will stay at their current rate of consumption as they continue to modernize ? The US either for that matter. For those of you that are asking where the electricity is going to come from 20 years from now, have you ever given any thought of where the gas is going to come from?.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
In an ideal world we wouldn't be using rubber tires (where does all that rubber go as the tires wear down?) or asphalt paved roads (where does all that asphalt go as the road surface gets scrubbed down?) ...
I can attest that most of the worn tires, asphalt, and brake linings has turned to black dust and collected on my formerly "hi vis" riding jacket. :(

221 - 240 of 275 Posts